I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NEW FALL CATALOG NOW AVAILABLE!!
Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 10:00AM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle is pleased to announce our 2012 Fall Catalog is now available. It features some new products including MHX jackets by Aquaz, new MHX hats, new custom Koozie, spec Ops camo components, new MHX blanks - more white models, travel, carp & S-Glass plus other fill-in models customers have asked for, MHX surf kits, new custom carbon fiber grips, new CRB Non-Toxic Powder Marbling Pigments, new CRB weighted butt cap, new ProKote High Build, new ATC Microwave guides, new CRB rod skins, new frog giggs and gift ideas for the holidays!! (Can you tell it’s been a busy summer?).

Follow the link below to view the catalog online:
[www.mudhole.com]

All current customers will have a hard copy of this catalog arriving in their mail boxes this week.

PS - We really had fun with this cover, it features a mummy and tombstone themed custom rods build by our own graphics staff and an amusing poke at factory build rods – we think it’s one of our best covers. Hats off to the graphics guys who not only know their why around an Apple computer and produce the best catalogues in the industry, but they can build a cool rod too!

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NEW FALL CATALOG NOW AVAILABLE!!
Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 13, 2012 11:59AM

I love the cover, BUT, what don't like is the drop down (when you click on rod blanks) that knocks custom rod builders and encourages "build it yourself and save money". First, custom rod builders in a lot of cases end up correcting the mistakes these "do it yourselfers" make. Second, I'm sure custom rod builders who happen to make a full time or part time living off of building rods put a considerable amount of money into your bank account. Based upon this, I'd have to buy from Mudhole only if I cannot get it some place else, because you are trying to take money from my pocket now.

Jerry

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: October 13, 2012 12:16PM

WOW..... Jerry, most of like to help others get into rod building. A very high percentage do not stick with it. Mud Hole is a great place for beginners and vets to get quality parts at a great price with AWESOME customer service. We all started as a "do it yourselfer"..... Chill brother.

PS...we all know "build it yourself and save money" is false....you spend a lot more getting the components than going to wallyworld and buying a fishable rod.

Date: October 13, 2012 12:28PM

Don, I may have come down a bit hard on them and I'll admit, they are good people. This item just hit me the wrong way and I had to vent. Once you realize the do it yourself guys are buying at retail and we at a discount, it does put a different light on it. It just seems the government already takes too much out of my pocket and then I see a comment about bypassing the custom builder to save money, well,,,it just hit me wrong. Also, a smart person knows you do not save money by doing yourself. That's why I pay tradesmen to do what they do best and I'll do what I do best. End of story. :)

Jerry

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 01:11PM

IMO, the real issue is making the public statement in such a way, not the concept/thought behind it. It is more than obvious that Mud Hole is working to create new builders through a variety of avenues. They have been doing so for quite awhile now and the tactic is common in ANY business. Need new customers, create them.

What is problematic is the attempt to use existing custom builders as a "doormat" of sorts. It is in poor taste. Mud Hole will most assuredly retract the language now that it has been brought to their attention. I am sure this was a simple lapse in judgment and not an intended slap in the face. I can't imagine that it will continue, therefore I will reserve final judgment and I would encourage others to do the same.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 02:20PM

OUCH!!! That post sure has a sting and big bite attached to it.

I could not find that drop down you allude to so I can not address that part of the equation. We live in the Land of the Free, at least up to now. A company decides what their catalog should contain, prices etc. We as consumers can decide if we want to do business with them or not.

I have been building rods long enough, as one of those "do it yourselfers" and eventually as a business. I remember when color catalogs such as Mud Hole's did not exist. Yes, we had Merrick Tackle but they were wholesale only. Back in the day how to do this or that was very secretive. Thank goodness that is not the way now. Today large groups of rod builders share their ideas, tips and hard earned knowledge. Wonderful!

I live in an area with many of the best rod designer/crafters. Some one wanting to purchase a custom rod only has to do his/her homework. The internet makes it even easier. For every one of us doing this as a business there may be 3-4-5 or 6 builders working under the radar. We have no real idea of the number. Maybe they build for family and friends, maybe they work for free, maybe they charge a minimum labor amount and some do it to keep busy. That is their way and right. I do not worry about them as that would be counter productive. It is up to me to work in such a way that people want to have me or my friends build a rod for them. This is the American way!

What good is having a God given talent if we keep it to ourselves? What has brought rod building to this day is all the sharing that is done between builders, personal or thru the medias we use. I would not want it any other way. Have you ever taught a group of people the why's and where fore's of building a fishing rod, a basic fishing rod and further down the rod helping them build a classy fishing rod? It is a wonderful experience. It gets even better when you see how each rod they bring back to show you is better and better. And the best is the pleasure they receive when catching fish with a rod the built AND you helped them.

To people interested in getting into rod building I tell them to get on Mud Hole's mailing list. They can learn so much by going page to page. I almost always learn something each time the catalog arrives. Do you subscribe to Rod Maker magazine? If so how do you feel about all the topics that newbies are learning from? Now they can do these and use it as a selling point.

Time to take a nap so I am ready for the NASCAR race tonight.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: jack taller (139.192.81.---)
Date: October 13, 2012 02:23PM

it's funny if you don't like the slogan "build it yourself and save money" they put in this catalog
what do you think the rod factory feel when they see the COVER..LOL

Date: October 13, 2012 02:51PM

Good points made by both Capt Faulkner and Jack. I'm sure the rod factorys are not happy with custom builders and I would not think they would be happy with the cover either. As I said before, it just hit me the wrong way when I saw that in print. I work hard at promoting my business, pay my taxes (Federal Sport Fishing Excise) and so on. It takes work and dedication to build a business and develop your talent. You never know it all and that is one of the things I like about the custom rod business. Also, it is great so many really good builders share information on this site. Shortens the learning curve.

Jerry

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 03:23PM

I wonder what the cost would be to build one rod after buying a wrapper, dryer, thread, finish, rod bond etc. It would have to be close to 300 dollars. It cost me upwards of 150 to build one now. Do it yourself and save is a catchy slogan but most likely untrue. What you do get when you build it yourself is a finely tuned fish hauling instrument. That is as long as you don't follow any of the recommended guide spacing and sizing given by most distributors.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 03:43PM

Hi Jerry,

Your thoughts have crossed many of our minds, nothing new and don't beat yourself over your head with it. Bottom line is to have faith in yourself and your abilities. Sometimes it is hard due to the economy, competition, location, how many anglers want custom rods and who knows what else. But this is true if we crafted bows and arrows, guns or something else.

When I saw the results of Tom K's questionaire the one item that surprised me the most was the number of rod builders that wrap by hand. Now that is hard work. I built rods that way for too long and was very happy with my first hand made power wrapper. A great improvement. Our craft lends itself to making our own tools, jigs etc. By nature I believe we are "hands on" type of people. Now a days I want everything to arrive in the mail so I can use it right away, ha, ha! Showing my age here.

I can build a case that we have too much of a good thing at our disposal.

Have fun and enjoy looking at the functional and beautiful rods you create.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.sub-174-253-201.myvzw.com)
Date: October 13, 2012 08:38PM

Wow.attitudes like that are exactly why I started building myself too many "custom"builders have a sence of entitlement and think no one else can do what they do.ill build my own even if it costs more and be proud of my work and enjoy my new hobby

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 14, 2012 05:57PM

I don't think anyone buys from a custom rod builder, or takes up rodbuilding as a hobby, to save money. I know I learned to build my own rods because I couldn't find what I wanted in my local tackle shops or in the catalogs of BPS and Cabelas. Additionally, I calculated that my first rod would have sold at retail for around $80 and it only cost me $120 to build :), which didn't even include the price of tools. Talk about your savings! However, when I build something, it is what I want and not what some mass producer thinks I should want. And, while I could go to a custom rodbuilder, I ENJOY building my own fishing rods and using them. I also like to tie my own flies, too. Now, if Mudhole, or any retailer for that matter, wants to advertise that there are big savings to be had, let them. Caveat emptor! I think anyone considering rodbuilding as a hobby can do the math and recognize the economics of the enterprise. I cannot imagine that Mudhole's efforts to lure new DIY guys is going to hurt the business of the professionals.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Gordon Stuart (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 09:20AM

I also build as a hobby,I satisfaction i get from catch that first fish on that rod is breathtaking.In all aspects of the word, wondering if it holds how it fights well or evan watching your daughter catch her first fish on her owne rod she built (with guidence) now that is why i help out the eager leaner,

tight lines
Gord

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster