I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How long do you wait between coats of epoxy finish?
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 04:25PM

Making allowances for seasonal temperature differences, typically I prefer to apply the second coat of finish well before twenty-four hours have elapsed since the first coat. I use a craft stick to stir the epoxy mixure and I use it to judge how well the finish has set. Presently, I am working under some time contraints and I am curious just how tacky the first coat can be before the second is applied. Am I okay if the finish is tacky enough to retain a thumb print but firm enough not to stick to my fingers? Are ten to twelve hours enough when temps are in the mid 70's? Thanks for the help!
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long do you wait between coats of epoxy finish?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 05:03PM

When it is cured enough that you can apply a second coat without the brush sticking, your fine.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 03, 2012 05:29PM

10 to 12 hours in 70 degree plus temps, you should be fine, and I'll second what Phil stated above.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 05:57PM

Thanks for the responses. Of course, waiting until you've loaded the brush, however lightly, with fresh epoxy to determine whether it should be applied seems a bit problematic, but maybe that's just me.:) At any rate, I'm hoping the ten to twelve hours of elapsed time will be sufficient. Again, thanks
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Don Morse (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 06:06PM

Pour your left over epoxy on a piece of tin foil that way you can test how well It is set up. I add the date and time with a marker to the foil.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 06:11PM

Hunter,
As long as the brush does not stick to the current finish, I believe that it has cured enough for the next coat - when I am rushed for time.

I have put a 2nd coat on rods in as few as two hours and it has worked out just fine.

I do keep the rods warm - about 80 degrees - when the rods are on the dryer. So, the heat of the dryer, does tend to let the finish cure more quickly.

Roger

Posted by: Mark Emaus (---.dsl1.ekgv.ca.frontiernet.net)
Date: January 16, 2024 06:33PM

I read an article talked about wait 48 hours, scuffing and then apply another coat. Do you still think if sticky after 10-12 you are better off than the 48 hour idea?

Posted by: Michael Ward (---.atlagax1.pop.starlinkisp.net)
Date: January 18, 2024 01:27AM

This totally depends on the specific epoxy being used, the temperature of the epoxy at mix time (and if heat was added) and the temperature the rod is in during curing.

My shop is in my finished basement where it stays around 65ish. I don’t usually heat the epoxy though right now the temps are a bit lower and I’ll hit it with a few seconds of heat while mixing. The rod then goes into a temperature controlled dryer set to 78.

I normally recoat using Gen4 regular build at 4 hours. If pushed I may bump the temp up in the dryer just a bit and I’ll recoat at 3. Just make sure to keep your brush well covered in epoxy so that the curing epoxy on the rod that may be still tacky does or grab the brush bristles.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 18, 2024 08:54AM

If I'm going to apply a 2nd, I will wait until the 1st one won't "grab" the brush. At room temp this often means I can apply a 1st in the morning and a 2nd that evening.

Posted by: Mark Brassett (---)
Date: January 18, 2024 11:07AM

Just parroting what I've read many times on this forum. When you no longer leave a finger print in the excess epoxy in the cup/foil, a second coat can be applied.

Posted by: Jim Berry (---)
Date: January 18, 2024 03:00PM

When i apply the epoxy from the mix from a foil scrap that is on the lid from a spool from electrical tape i let use to hold the mixture on the foil when i am done the fishing rod is still rotating to dry i will test the foil left over to check for dry or tacky same for handle that i mix on a small card board flap and let that set this way i dont leave the finger print on the thread finish or that the handle and reel seat epoxy is cured

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 20, 2024 01:10PM

When first coat stops flowing. Have second coat well loaded on your brush so tacky first coat doesn't grab your brush.

Posted by: Jeffrey Merlino (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2024 01:58PM

Don Morse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pour your left over epoxy on a piece of tin foil
> that way you can test how well It is set up. I add
> the date and time with a marker to the foil.

What Don Morse said above. Put foil in your cup and use that as your guide to confirm it's set enough.

I do the same thing when using epoxy wrap finish as well as epoxy adhesive for reel seats and grips. That's usually mixed on a scrap piece of cardboard that gets moved to the back of the bench and I confirm it's set before I throw it away. I do that I think more to confirm I didn't botch the mix and ended up with a soft setting epoxy under a reel seat.

Posted by: roger wilson (---)
Date: January 20, 2024 09:06PM

Until the first coat is not tacky. I generally wait 24 hours between coats.

However, most of the time, I only apply one coat of flex coat high build finish and have no reason to add any more finish.

If the finish is perfect with one coat; no need to add more.

Best wishes

Re: How long do you wait between coats of epoxy finish?can you put a 3rd on after 10 days or so. coat
Date: March 09, 2024 07:16PM

would you be able to put a third code onafter 3 weeks or so just wondering.

Re: How long do you wait between coats of epoxy finish?can you put a 3rd on after 10 days or so. coat
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 10, 2024 01:04PM

You can put a 3rd application on after a few hours if you wish. If 3 weeks have gone by you can do that as well. But the longer you wait the greater the risk of having an issue.

Posted by: Mark Hahn (---.29.18.98.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 11, 2024 06:52AM

I'm with Don. I leave my epoxy in a cup or on foil off to the side while the rod is in the dryer. This allows me to test the batch without having to touh the wraps on the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster