I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bream whitting popping rod
Posted by: Tristan Batho (---.ryqe1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2012 12:51AM

hi im interested in what guides people use for a popping rod for bream and whitting 4lb line rod?
i was thinking titanium frames? also was wondeering what sizes? cheers

Tristan
Sydney, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bream whitting popping rod
Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.239.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2012 04:16AM

Gday,

Im building two at the moment mate, microwaves on the first and kr on the second. using a 2000 certate I have followed Jims advice 7ft 12h 5.5h then 4.5s to the tip. Ill bring them to the searbs meet next month if you want to try em out.

Cheers
Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 29, 2012 07:47AM

Hi Tristian

I have built up a 7!6" with recoils if you would like to have a look at the next meeting if your coming.I am also going to build up a few rods with the
micro guides and KBs.Just waiting for the cork to arrive next week to build grips.Hope you can make it i have some rods that may interest you.

cheers.........ray

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2012 01:03PM

Tristan,
You can certainly use Titanium guides for that rod, but why.

There will be very little force on the guides, so why spend that much money on the guides.

If you use pac bay minima guides, you will be well pleased with the performance and save a few $$ at the same time.

The minima guides are some of the lightest guides around.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 29, 2012 01:45PM

Tristan,

My personal Batson IP840, used for crappie and sunfish here in the states, is built up with Alps Y frame reduction guides and Batson minis for running guides. With Ti frames a fair of weight can be saved in the reduction train, but may or may not save weight in the running guides. With micro runners, it depends on which models you choose what size you need for the runners. I started building when the first micros hit the market, and I just haven't been able to justify the added cost of Ti frames for the way I use my rods. If I fished in the salt regularly, or required running guides over 4mm on more rods, it may be different.

Joe

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: September 29, 2012 07:50PM

Tristan,

I was building many spinning long rods(over 10') for myself for fishing for white bass, crappie and for salt water using fly blank 9' w4,w5,w10 +extension using SIC guides model "M". I like these rods.
I am fishing most of the time from the bank in fresh and saltwater with FIRELINE ORIGINAL SMOKE 4lb.,TASLINE ALL WHITE 8lb.(from PAULUS -AUSTRALIA)+2lb.-14lb.fluorocarbon leader.

Regards,

Jean

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: September 29, 2012 09:31PM

G'Day Tristan I would find it hard to go past the Pac Bay minima.They are certainly very light & as long you wash after every use they should last for years .The ones on my rod are at least 3 years old with no sign of corrosion

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: October 01, 2012 10:30AM

I have just finished 3 panfish rods. 2 from fly rod blanks, (AMX-792 and Janns 7'6" 4 wt blank -both with Fuji-K guides) and one with Fuji Y guides on a ISP-842. All three use nonofil 4 lb test or fireline 4 lb test and are very light and very good casters, casting 1/32 tube jigs and 1/16th jigs with great feel. I am in the process of building an IP-840, and am thinking about using the new Microwave system, with a 20/6 stripper and 6m step down to 5mm guides... It should be fun.

Posted by: Dave O'Brien (202.74.138.---)
Date: October 02, 2012 12:20AM

Tristan,

I just completed 3 rods for trout on a American tackle matrix bank 5'6" 1 to 5lb I use the American tackle a frame guides in a 20, 16, 12, 10 and then used the 2 American tackle single foot fly guides in size 6 with a size 6 tip I was still throwing a 3 gram lure about 20 meters without trying

but the 2 rods I use for my whiting and bream poppering the first is an Elixer Ultra Light / Fly Blank "FX661-1-B" again I used American tackle Ring Lock A-Frame Spinning I think off the top of my head it was a 25, 20, 16, 10 (or maybe 12) then I used the American tackle Ring Lock Fly Guides in an 8, 6,6, and a size 6 tip the other is a MHX "SJ781-MHX" with the same set up. I have found that both feel a little soft in the tip for the bigger poppers (like stiffy's) but the work well on the pencils (like the crystal alive) compared to my Loomis

Dave O'Brien
Port Macquarie
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster