I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Characteristics of a steelhead spoon/spinner rod
Posted by: Tom Lusis (173.33.206.---)
Date: September 25, 2012 09:55PM

Hello all,

I would like to build a casting rod for spoons and spinners for Georgian Bay steelhead.

What are the desired characteristics of a blank for this application? If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

thanks,
Tom.m

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Characteristics of a steelhead spoon/spinner rod
Posted by: gaston arnold (---.sub-174-253-193.myvzw.com)
Date: September 25, 2012 11:21PM

I fairly new to steelhead around here but I've had good luck with an 8' 6" medium power fast action.it helps to keep a lot of line off the water so I could find a use for 9' rod in some water maybe longer

Posted by: jason vandeusen (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 02:36PM

You can use fairly heavy line for spoons and spinners, the fish concentrates on the movement of the object, not on the line. Overall, 10-20lb test is a good range for this type of fishing. If you are fishing the great lakes go 8-12 or 8-17lb. If you are fishing other areas like the Pacific Northwest then you can go heavier if bigger fish are found there, otherwise the medium ratings I listed should work. I also never go below 10lb test for this type of fishing, you need line strength for solid hooksets and less breakoffs on the really hard strikes! I really only use the 10lb in clear river situations, otherwise its 14lb test almost all the time on my casting gear and 12lb on my spinning rods.

So you need a at least a medium power rod blank, one that will also cast a range of lure weights, you will find that you will use a variety of wieghts and sizes of hardware once you really get into it and fish this way more often. 1/4 oz to 3/4 oz lure weight is a good start. A fast to moderate fast action would also be ideal for this type of fishing.

8'6" to 9' would be a good starting point for length, you may find that you like the longer 10'6" blanks more, but its a personal choice, if you like the longer rods then go for it. I like a longer rod personally, but I tend to fish rivers a lot. A 9' sounds like the perfect rod for you, easy to transport and not too long. The longer rod helps a lot with hooksets and longer casts.

There is no shortage of blanks in this category, simply find one in your price range and get building.

I have also had good success with 8wt and 9wt fly blanks for this application, so thats another option.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 02:39PM by jason vandeusen.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 05:19PM

I think a Batson XST 1142 or 3 would have been about perfect in the GL when I was stationed there, leaning more towards the 2 power without more tackle size info.
Longer rods have less line in the water which will allow lure to run deeper, also more versatile for other presentations as you progress. Big, heavy #5 silver spinners in the winter will have me gravitate toward the 3 power, and if your area has any coho salmon like N. Wisconsin and other areas, I'd definitely go 3 power.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 05:34PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 05:22PM

Hate to be a thread steeler....but maybe my question will help Tom.

I don't live near steelhead country so I don't know anything about the fish nor the rods intended for them. However I have developed a love for steelhead hot shot rods. I have one, a HS1023F and I think it would be fine for small to moderate sized spoons and spinnerbaits.

My questions is what are the other steelhead rod like compared to a hot shot blank? I have a handle on what a back bounce blank is. No clue on mooching and boon dogger blanks. I'm mostly looking for blanks that would do well casting live baits a long distance yet have the strenght to handle fish like a 20-30 pound tuna/dolphin.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.sub-174-253-200.myvzw.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 09:05PM

A "hotshot" rod would probably have a slower action to alow the plug to work the way its intended

Posted by: Teague Parker (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 27, 2012 11:01AM

I'm with Spencer on this. The XST1142 or 3 for all the reason he mentions. Another blank I highly recommend is the Lamiglas Cert Pro XSH1142MJ (6-15#, 1/4-12), which fits nicely between the 2 Batsons, having the feel of the 2 with more hook setting power of the 3. It was originally designed as a "steelhead jig" or "float" rod, but IMO is an ideal spinner/spoon rod. In any case, all are these are 9' 6" rods which are the perfect length IMO for steelhead spinner and spoons. Longer is tiring and unbalanced, shorter provides less line control and hook setting leverage on a light rod. The Batsons and the Lami exhibit a more moderate action, which I definitely prefer over the shorter and faster Hotshot rods for spoons and spinners, although others might disagree.

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 27, 2012 07:28PM

Hello all

Thanks for the suggestions and input.

I've looked over the options and was wondering about the MHX steelhead blank ST 1143 MHX 9'6" 6-12 line with a lure weight of 3/8-3/4. It is a little more affordable than the Rainshadow blank. Has anyone tried one of these blanks?

Thanks,
Tom.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: September 27, 2012 09:40PM

I use the ST1022-MHX for Coho salmon. The blank is very light and responsive, though I find it's a bit light for fish over 10lbs.
I think the ST1143 will certainly meet your needs and is a very good choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster