I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

About the MicroWave LCS & it's Attributes
Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 08:41PM

Great points and questions brought out in the threads below. I wanted to address most if not all but it would take too more time than I have. Instead I thought I would start anew with comments about the system as a whole. I know that many people are wary of marketing mumbo jumbo but I can say we did exhaustive testing on our own to validate any claims, if nothing else but to make sure WE were all convinced before we went to market.

Development – I’ll spare you the details of the processes in research and development as well as fabrication and manufacturing. Interesting as it is, it was quite repetitive and tedious trying all the combinations.

The Guides – Beginning with an elevated 20mm/6mm combination stripping guide that uses the 20mm Ring Lock primary ring to capture the oscillating line and the 6mm secondary ring to instantly control it. A high frame 6mm Ring Lock transition guide brings the controlled line to “snagless-designed” 5mm running guides maintaining control for the duration of the cast.

About the system - One cast and you feel a difference, or I should say it’s what you don’t feel. There’s a distinct reduction in line vibration with the MicroWave guide system. More casting and you notice that it doesn’t cast like other guide trains. If you add some elevation and back the power off a bit you’ll see dramatic increases in distance & control. That’s when you realize what Line Control really is. There’s no denying that establishing control early is best.

Comparisons - We used popular sets of guides in various spacing suggestions along with all the same Bushido blanks, identical handles and casting with the same weights and/or lures. We lawn casted, street threw and have been fishing them every chance we get. We have compared these rods over and over again with skeptics (myself included) to prove again and again that the distance & ease of casting/accuracy claims were correct. We also built rods in various different lengths & power/actions to reevaluate confirming the original results.

Attributes;

Distance – We tested everything from common guide trains and spacing to the custom creations people still feel can best the MicroWave system. We simply outcast all we tested, although some systems were closer than others. Without a doubt distance provides solid measure which is perfect for marketing so it’s going to come up first every time. The casting distances we were able to achieve most likely are not typical to fishing situations. Even substantial improvement in distances may not be enough to convince some anglers which is why distance would probably what I would focus on the least.

Accuracy – This is where I would concentrate. Using less power to cast equal distance or even increase distance by stepping it up a bit allows me to focus on targeting (and I need it). Typically anglers will increase power to maintain distance in their cast sacrificing accuracy. I see it with every caster we demo, once they begin casting the MicroWave system, they slow down and begin to concentrate. This system makes precision easier providing anglers real advantage.

Fatigue Reduction – Less power needed to cast means less energy expended while casting. Seems logical but is it measurable? Maybe, now that I fish this system weekly I switched over to techniques where I do a lot of casting. I have never cast all day long before, until now.

Rod Balance – We greatly reduced weight in the entire system. They weigh less than all ceramic ring standard stainless guide trains including the newest guides offered providing a better balanced rod.

Blank Performance – Due to the reduced guide weight added to the rod blank material to load and recover more naturally. This contributes to better casting in distance & accuracy as well as hook setting & sensitivity. When the blank performs at maximum efficiency a wider range of lure weights can be utilized. (we definitely were able to cast unweighted worms more effectively using this system during fishing, I mean testing)

Complete System – This is the only guide system that is a complete package to deliver the advertised benefits. They are sold as a complete set to include every guide needed (unless extra running guides are required for longer lengths which are sold separately). Suggested spacing completes the package taking guess work out of designing a solid performance oriented rod. Although changes might be made to enhance performance of this system, if used as directed solid results are a certainty with no confusing formulas to worry about.

I am sure there’s a lot of things I fail to address here so if you have any questions or would like additional information please contact us at American Tackle or visit the MicroWave pages on our web site.

[www.americantackle.us]

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: About the MicroWave LCS & it's Attributes
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 25, 2012 08:50PM

Hi Darrin,
Thanks for the additional info. Looks like more than the odd builder is interested.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 09:43PM

DArrin, one thing I noticed was teh single foot guides are "tangle free". I hate when I catch a fish or switch lures and the next time I go to cast teh line is wrapped around a single foot guide and won't come off. YOu briefly mention that these SF guides were "snagless designed". Is there a model number on these guides, because I think people will like using them on their casting/conventional rods as well as spinning.

Posted by: Joel Smith (---.net.bhntampa.com)
Date: September 25, 2012 09:48PM

Guys, I'm not one to post a lot on here but visit daily. I'm in Orlando on a family vacation and couldn't pass up the oppurtunity to visit Mudhole. I met Ben Stein with Am Tackle and got to test cast a rod with the Microwave system. All I could say was Wow! While I don't really care about improving distance or accuracy, the effortless castability of the system was impressive. I've got a rod to finish when I get home but have changed my mind on the guides now. As mentioned already, for the price I would recommend to anyone to pick up a set and give them a try. It was without a doubt the smoothest spinning rod I've ever thrown.

Posted by: Joe Meehan American Tackle (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 10:03AM

Hi Billy,

The model number for the 5mm MicroWave snagless running guides are below.

NBMW-5 for a black chrome NanoLite ring,
NCMW-5 for a chrome NanoLite ring
DBMW-5 for a black chrome DuraLite ring
DCMW-5 for a black chrome DuraLite ring

They are the only part of the system that is sold separately.

Joe

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 04:25PM

I was very skeptical, but it does live up to the claims! Distance isn't the only thing, and although it excels at that, it's the smoothness that is most notable. The noticeably less casting effort is very dramatic. It's a winner, no doubt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster