I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Microwave guide (promised assessment fm below)
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 24, 2012 09:52AM

.011 inch. Shakespeare Red Cast 8lb test.

Moving to a smaller diameter and/or more supple line would yield a little more distance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 24, 2012 11:17AM

I'd like to add one thing to the test results I posted earlier - I also tested a good Cone of Flight System at that same time. I notice from my notes that I averaged 136 feet with that old, supposedly antiquated system. That's an advantage of just under 3% for the other systems over the COF. Hardly noticeable, really.

The thing is, I didn't stop using the COF because it didn't cast well. It does. I abandoned it long ago due to other systems being lighter and better balanced. They're just more pleasant to cast and fish with. So again, it's not just about how far something will cast. The main advantage of all these newer systems is the smaller guides being used on the top half of the rod. Getting rid of that weight makes a huge difference in how the rod handles and feels.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: September 24, 2012 01:05PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...The thing is, I didn't stop using the COF because
> it didn't cast well. It does. I abandoned it long
> ago due to other systems being lighter and better
> balanced. They're just more pleasant to cast and
> fish with. So again, it's not just about how far
> something will cast. The main advantage of all
> these newer systems is the smaller guides being
> used on the top half of the rod. Getting rid of
> that weight makes a huge difference in how the rod
> handles and feels.
>
> .................

Exactly. The fact that I can stock fewer guide sizes is a huge plus as well.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 24, 2012 03:03PM

Tom,
thanks a lot for sharing your much appreciated insights.
now, I have a whole forum of French rod builders interested in that, so please allow me to ask a couple more questions.

if I understood your point correctly, you say that a microwave rig compares with another reasonably efficient guide system in such a way that the difference is negligible. and at least for a specific setting, you've got empirical data to back you point.
I'm quite willing to believe these results, but in my experience it is very seldom that one finds a law robust enough to apply to a whole range of different conditions. I'm not a physicist, but the pictures they use to sell the microwave tell me that interaction between a microwave and the line (ie friction) must be much higher that it is between the line and a NGC reduction. so I wonder: is friction always negligible? I can imagine two scenarios where the answer is not obvious: 1. very high speed and thick line, as in surfcasting, or 2. on the contrary UL spinning with very light lures.

you seem to claim that in either microwave performs on par with other reasonably efficient guide systems. I guess that will be also my default belief, but I still would like to know if someone tested that.

PS. I hope it's clear that I just want to know what grounds we have for our beliefs.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 24, 2012 03:36PM

I think that maybe instead of relying on technology to increase my casting distance i would be better off practicing my casting style.
Probably something we can all do.Some days you would think i had been practicing casting into trees.I know that if i spent 30 mins
a day practicing in a month i would be so much better.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Date: September 24, 2012 03:44PM

Laurent,

Friction comes in many forms. You have some line to guide friction, and you have friction between the line and the air it's passing through. In fact, the friction between the line and the air will be far greater than the friction between the line and the guides. Controlling the line early helps reduce the frontal drag of the line that occurs when you are trying to drag otherwise wildly oscillating coils through the air. The net result is greater distance, even though it may not be by an earth shattering amount.

The Microwave system certainly isn't going to rob you of any distance, if that's what you're leaning towards. And I think this will hold true in a wide variety of situations. Sure, there will be extremes where the particular size butt guide might not be optimum, but for a large portion of the general market the size offered is just fine. I think in most cases the worst it will do is still on par with about anything else out there.

Of course you don't have to rely on my tests, nor anyone else's - get a set and spend a couple hours casting. It'll be fun and you'll then know first hand if it's for you or not.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 24, 2012 04:22PM

Tom has a good point. When a rod/guide combination results in the maximum distance Tom mentions, (in other words when you've got all you can get from the blank and the components) you are usually fishing with a well balanced, light-in-the-top-half package that is noticeably quiet and smooth on the cast. Rods like that are far more enjoyable and EASY to fish with less fatigue in a day's fishing. So the question is: if you build to maximize distance, which will almost always be a quiet, smooth casting final layout, are you also making the rod more pleasurable to fish even if you don't make a single LONG cast all day? Of course, you need to achieve all of that with an eye toward static load for power but generally speaking a rod built for distance is well constructed AND turns out to be effortless on shorter casts. It's also light, easy to handle, sensitive and powerful...all from trying to maximize casting distance through better line control and less intrusion on the original action of the blank.

I know we're headed off the original path here, but Tom started it! ;)

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 24, 2012 04:31PM

Tom: well, that's a truly enlightening answer, thank you very much sir!

Ray: I'm more a fly freak myself, and what you say is SO true for fly casting.

Jim: in surfcasting and fly fishing rods, what you say is not totally accurate, since all out distance rigs are usually quite uneasy to handle. some can, but most can't. but I agree that everyone is looking for efficiency, and in most case a better rod is just a better rod.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: September 24, 2012 06:01PM

I knew I was sticking my neck out on surf rods with power being a major factor in guide placement. Wasn't so sure about flyrods. Still, many (savvy) surf rod guys are paying far more attention to NGC type builds and then modifying them for power as the last step. I wasn't really referring to the 5 guide 12 footers, more to the smaller lighter runners and faster reduction trains many are going to.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 24, 2012 10:01PM

Down here in Florida we see a significant amount of surf rods and jetty rods built on surf blanks. Many still like and use the old style of less guides and large rings, but a very significant amount have switched over to other methods with smaller lighter running guides. The Sebastian Inlet and Ponce Inlet jetties are prime locations to see these in action where many casters reach well over 100 yards a cast with some of the better setups breaking 120-130yard marks with much less effort than you would think. Yes I am talking about nearing 350-400 foot casts with 9 and 10 foot rods. This actually blows away the results from the old style surf setups as both are seen at the jetties. Most of these anglers cast these distances with very good accuracy and often that extra 30-50 feet [in some cases] can be the difference between catching fish or having a long day at the jetty since the fish in both areas tend to school up dead center in the deepest part of the channel. Casting technique and style of course does play a very large role in this as well of course, but I have to agree with Jim here as I have seen it first hand.

Fly rods, however are a whole separate discussion.

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.239.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 26, 2012 11:18PM

I agree with you Ray my customers want the latest ill bring a kr and mw to the next meet and you can play with them all you like.

New setups and the marketing hype that comes with them do have a value be it real or percieved and more often its the percieved part. Lets face it most of my customers expect me to be up on the latest developments in the industry thats why they buy custom and not shop. I have been away for 2 weeks and in that time mudhole released these new sets of mw's two of my 8 orders for the month have gone from kr tsic to mw just because they saw the mh vid. It really comes down to being the first kid on the block to have a new bike. I hope the guide manufacturers release a new concept every month because i know ill sell more rods that way.

My customers will continue buying from me as long as i keep up with the latest trends its a promise i find them very similar to golfers who change clubs when thier swing goes off and i'm always here to help them get the toys. The idea of practicing the casting technique would never in a million years come into play, arrogance maybe ignorance probably. Either way happy days.

Cheers
Mark
Old Bar NSW
Australia

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.72.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 06:14PM

Billy

At last some one made it easy to understand!!!!!!! thank you sir . I think Tom to good ,he covers every thing so well, some time I get lost,but I will trust his knowledge of rod building. He sure has made my journey into the art of rod building easy, you to are one I look to for help, Thank you both for all you have given to the Art of Rod Building.

Richard Curry

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster