I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inkjet decal?
Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 22, 2012 09:37PM

I am wondering if anyone has problems with inkjet decal fading

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inkjet decal?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 22, 2012 09:56PM

It can happen depending on the particular ink your machine uses. When Epson and some others introduced what they termed "archival inks" it was hoped this wouldn't fade in an exterior environment. Although it was a vast improvement, it isn't impervious to fading either. It just takes a bit longer.

Posted by: Bucky Allen (---.tmodns.net)
Date: September 23, 2012 11:58AM

Thanks Tom another? Does the paper matter I used testor media and didn't like it

Posted by: Jeremy Oster (---.sub-174-234-5.myvzw.com)
Date: September 23, 2012 04:30PM

I too plan on using my inkjet to print decals onto clear backed labels. I had planned to put rod finish over the decal. So do I need to put co over it first or no and does the ink fade even if I apply rod finish?

Date: September 23, 2012 05:17PM

If UV can reach it, it will eventually fade. Epoxy finish is clear, thus it will fade. The sun fades everything in time.

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: September 23, 2012 07:19PM

I'm new at decals and use an HP inkjet on clear shipping labels. I spray them with a clear enamel ( such as Krylon) after printing to prevent the Epoxy from ruining the ink after it's placed on the rod. Would color preserver affect the longevity of the decal since there is a layer of spray enamel between the CP and actual ink, or would it be pointless? Also, is there any type of label material that I can use with an inkjet that is actually clear? The shipping labels aren't completely translucent and don't know how much it would cost to buy or where to find a dry transfer printer.

Date: September 23, 2012 07:38PM

The Krylon you're using serves the same purpose as CP.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 23, 2012 11:10PM

I use the Papillo paper (white, clear, holographic silver etc) and have had zero problems. Mostly I use white decal (vinyl paper) and flood the background with whatever color I want. I use Paintshop Pro, using layers for each entry on the label. Print it out, spray it with Krylon Satin clear coat twice and let dry. I put it on the bare blank and then put rod finish over the top. They usually come out fairly nice. I get better at it with each one I do. Learning the program is the hardest part for me. It is one powerful program.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.214.---)
Date: September 24, 2012 05:31PM

I have many decals that are about 5 years old with no discernable fading. After printing them I coat with a Krylon or Papilio clear coat that advertises UV protection. I am sure that in time, anything will fade in the sun, and the closer to the equator, the faster, but I think it can be put off to some degree by using the UV clear topcoats before the epoxy.

Date: September 26, 2012 09:27AM

The Papillo product is excellent in terms of being a fantastic sealer. Better than any other product I'm currently aware of.

Posted by: James Carnes (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: September 27, 2012 06:04PM

I use the media by Papilio for ink jet printers and cover my decals with Papilio clear-coating type LLA5000 UV protective coating spray, at least two coats. Let it dry for at least 4 hrs or over night if you are patient. Zero problems with fading or smearing after covering with U40 high build epoxy on the blank.

American Tackle Pro Staff

James Carnes
Osprey Custom Fishing Rods
Charlotte, North Carolina
www.ospreycustomfishingrods.com
704-589-9601

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster