I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More and smaller guides?
Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 09:29PM

Has anyone proved to themselves that adding an extra guide or two (above and beyond the traditional 1 guide per foot plus 1) and using smaller than usual single foot guides added to the performance of the fly rod in that one achieved greater accuracy or distance? I would appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More and smaller guides?
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 09:51PM

I was so with you right up to "fly rod" and "accuracy and distance".

Now if you wanted to make a case for it increasing the fish fighting ability......or making the rod more efficent at lifting a fish....then yes I think you can make a case.

I'm not good enough with a fly rod to feel I can contribute to the questions you ask. I'll only say weight near the tip matters on all rods and the guides need to be big enough for the fly line/backing knot to pass easily (because I'm only interested in fish that take me into the backing...lol).

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 20, 2012 09:57PM

Guides do not contribute to accuracy. The line, fly or lure goes where you throw it.

The more guides used, the more weight the rod blank must carry, making it less efficient and therefore of slower 'speed" (slower reaction and recovery).

The correct size and number of guides is the same as always - use the smallest, lightest and fewest guides that will pass your required line and any connections, hold up to the job at hand, and adequately distribute stress along the rod blank.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 10:04PM

The fly line will follow the trajectory of the tip-top. The guide train has no effect upon the path of the fly line (accuracy). I doubt the difference in friction caused by different guide surfaces or numbers has an appreciable effect upon the distance of the fly cast.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 20, 2012 10:31PM

Using small single foot guides reduces the weight added to the blank. As fly rod guides are under the rod, the main thing is distributing the stress as equally as possible along the rod as Tom mentions above. In most cases. fly casting does not involve line passing through the guides, exception being shooting line, so guide size has no effect on distance.

I build only fly rods and use small single foot guides whenever I can.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2012 10:32PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2012 12:04AM

Rob,
My buess is that if you used standard sized snake fly guides and the standard number of snake fly guides that you would see no difference at all in casting distance and accuracy or ease of use by going to single foot or smaller guides.

But you are certainly welcome to give it a test and report back your results.

Roger

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2012 12:22PM

I got in an debate on the internet with Fox Statler several years ago about this. He advocates a lot more running guides on fly rods than traditional thinking. His argument was that line sag between guides caused more drag than the line running straight through the larger number of guides. I thought he was crazy at first, but after researching it, it did make sense. I tried it on one rod I build strictly for distance casting off the beach, along with some other of his weight saving ideas. The rod was a line cannon to start with (Sage TCR) it did seem to help distance, but it also seemed to increase swing weight. Ultimately, I didn't follow it up because I didn't like the look and feel.

I would think is is only effective on fly rods due to the thickness and weight of fly lines as opposed to conventional tackle. I'm not sure it would be of any benefit on spinning or casting rods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2012 12:30PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 21, 2012 12:33PM

There is no appreciable line sag between the guides when the line is actually shooting through them. You cannot increase distance by adding more guides than necessary. I'd refer you to the folks who participate and set most of the international casting distance records - they use fewer guides in almost all instances.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 21, 2012 02:01PM

If maximizing distance were my top priority for building a fly rod I would look to results rather than theory. What guides and how many do fly rod distance champions use on their fly rods?

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: September 21, 2012 06:20PM

Every time I've reduced guide weight and/or number of guides casting distance and accuracy have improved.
Every rod , every caster.
The reason is two-fold.
The rod responds faster giving higher velocities and flatter trajectories.
The rod requires less effort on the part of the caster allowing geater velocity with easier control of the rod tip.
Accuracy is under the control of the caster but reducing the necessary amount of effort gives much greater fine motor control.
The improved rod response also results in less over-shoot with better damping allowing minor changes as the loop un-furls
The first comment I hear is the rod "feels" lighter, The second is the rod "feels" faster.
Then we start looking at distance improvements and finally loop control.

Polar moment of inertia is in play

Weight times the radius squared and on a fly rod the radius squared is very large.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/2012 08:19PM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 22, 2012 11:45AM

As discussed above, performance rods like Sage use smaller guides than many, custom built or otherwise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster