I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Personal rod
Posted by: Mark Gwynne (---.lns9.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 14, 2012 06:12AM

Hi all.
I want to build myself a good quality baitcaster, open budget so I can see wht's out here. I plan to buy through a sponsor here, Mudhole so everything must be in their range.
Fishing will be for Barramundi in Far North Queensland so I need a short fast action Mag Bass style rod that has some grunt to handle 20lb braid. Length is elected to be 6'2" but will take 6' if the blank suits.
My current first pick of the crop is the Phenix Ultra MBX, UMBX-606H-B Phenix Ultra MBX Casting FW 6'6" 1pc 10-20# B.504 T5

I've never seen a single Phenix rod so a bit nervous about paying the extra over some other options Mudhole has.

Second is the St Croix 3C60MHF STC SC3 Casting Blank 6' 1pc 12-20# B0.515 T5.5
It is a bit cheaper and the specs say perhaps a little heavier in line rating. Never seen one of these either though.

Third is the MHX MB784-MHX MHX Mag Bass 6'6" 1pc. 12-20lb B0.559 T5.5 . I am building a MB 783 at the moment and am very impressed with it so know I'll be happy with the 784.

I am still leaning towards the Phenix as I like the marketing rap and the lightweight to go with the Titanium fuji guides I also plan to get.

Speaking of which, every barra rod I have seen starts with a 16 guide then goes to 12 then 10 followed by 8s to an 8 tip or very close to that. They have all had a 16 stripper though for sure. To save weight I was going to go 12, 10 then six 8s to an 8 or 7 tip. For personal taste I don't want micros and also expect to use up to 40lb leader.
Any thoughts on this would also be good.

This will be my rod so money is no option unless the wife finds out and I'll have to build one for her then so fire away folks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Personal rod
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 14, 2012 06:57AM

Hi Mark,
Take a look at a local blank, a Excell (Pacific) Composites Stealth DCX 668. It's 5ft 6 but is easily lengthened and they're a good blank. Will handle the 20lb braid easily. What size is the level wind guide on your reel? You don't need anything bigger than that for your stripper. Sixes should handle the leader and knots but best to check first. You'll only need two or three guide sizes. If you use eights you could go with them all the way or an eight and then sixes to the tip. Also consider a spiral wrap as you will get away with one less guide. I've buit a lot of rods on Stealth blanks and they're all excellent.I use them for short boat rods and they work really well. I've also extended a couple with aluminium tube and those two work very well for the intended purpose. Ross at The Rodworks handles those blanks and they're listed under Excell Composites

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: September 14, 2012 07:31AM

Strewth Col! I just checked my Curado 200 and It looks like a size 3 or 4. From what you are saying though I could go an 8 to start with and 6's the rest? Is there that much of a weight saving between an 8 and a 6 Titanium guide? Just seems a bit weird from all the Baitcasters I've seen even at these sizes.

Date: September 14, 2012 07:41AM

Hi Mark,
Not a huge weight saving but every bit counts. You can definitely start with an eight, I've done it on a baitcaster, and then either more eights or sixes out to the tip. I've used plenty of sixes with 20lb braid but you need to see if your knots will impede the casting ability with sixes.
Also check the Stealth DCX 666 blank as it's rated at 6-8kg and would probably handle 20lb braid and would cast lures better than the 668.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 07:46AM by Col Chaseling.

Date: September 14, 2012 07:44AM

I assume no underbinding as well? The guides were going to be TLNSG double foot since it is on the heavy side line wise.I was thinking just but never done it with double feet.

Date: September 14, 2012 07:51AM

Hi mark,
No reason why you can't do that, just make sure the feet are well prepped. I usually use an underbind on something like that but if your trying to save weight that is a good option. Just make sure you use enough tension so the guides won't move. What sort of drag are you going to use on the braid as that could influence the blank you choose and the stress on the guides in the middle of the rod.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: September 14, 2012 08:02AM

The reel has 5 kilos out of the box. I was thinking about 3 kilos max myself (mostly 2) but would thumb the odd fish with a low rod angle at times to stop a big Jack or Barra if I had too.
Have you had the chance too see an Ultra MBX by any chance?

Date: September 14, 2012 08:31AM

Hi Mark,
Haven't seen one of those. With that amount of drag a Stealth DCX 666 would easily handle that and would cast lures better than a 668. They're are a versatile blank and I've used them for a 7ft 6 spinning rod and a 5ft 6 snapper rod and works well for both. Cost is around $100 and would be cheaper than a blank imported from the States. Also look at the United Composites blanks as they're also good.You can contact Peter at GCCR Tackle Services on (07) 5564130 to find what they have. Blanks like the UC60XF or UC60XXH-L would be good for what you want at 6ft length. They don't sell to the public but have a number of distributors.
Don't worry what it looks like or other peoples opinions, performance and weight are the main criterea and some aesthetics can be added to personalise it. It's a custom rod so build it to what suits you best.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/2012 04:51PM by Col Chaseling.

Date: September 15, 2012 03:39AM

Col do you reckon the TFST tip would be strong enough or should I go for the TMNST?

Date: September 15, 2012 08:41AM

Hi Mark,
I don't use Fugi guides anymore as they cost too much and I have lost track of the different model numbers. Most of the tips should handle 20lb braid and there is not a lot of stress on the tip as they're usually pointing at the fish when under load.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 15, 2012 08:20PM

Good luck getting the DCX blank. Angler rods and Pacific Composites are no more.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 15, 2012 11:03PM

Hi Ted,
They got taken over by Exel composites and as far as I'm aware the blanks are still available.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Dave O'Brien (202.74.138.---)
Date: September 16, 2012 05:45PM

Mark,

I built the St Croix 3C60MHF for a mate and brought the 5C60MHF for myself but the 3C60MHF it is a very nice blank I cut 6 inches off the bottom making it 5' 6' because of the fishin I do when I head home chasing Murray cod from a kayak the short rod makes it easier to flick in under the willows. I built both using a 12 mm stripper 10mm double foot than the rest 8mm single foot, I under bind all my rods that are for chasin cod, barra, snapper and jew (basically any of my rods rated above 6-15lb) . I used to use a coastal zillion on it but have just upgraded it to a Dawia T3-1016HS. I have used this out fit on barra casting to barra in Awoonga and it does handle them quite nice.

The MHX blank seems to be ok but I am yet to build it yet but I was gunna build it up as a snapper rod for soft plastic work then you had the phenix i haven’t used the heaver models but I brought one of the 1-5lb models last year and built it up for bream and whiting it seem to be alright but it seems to be a bit soft.

Dave O'Brien
Port Macquarie
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster