I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread Discoloration
Posted by: David Stanfield (---.knology.net)
Date: September 11, 2012 03:08PM

I have just finished the last of 5- SC5's (olive green) using desert camo thread. All look great except the thread on the last one. The thread turned very dark where the thread wraps over the guide feet on three of the wraps ! All rods were done with the same type and color thread, three coats of color preserver from the same bottle, Threadmaster lite, no coloring on the guide feet, just ground down a bit. What happened here ? Thanks for any help you can give.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread Discoloration
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2012 04:36PM

David,
I think that you just have to chalk it up to the fact that you are an exceptional person.

Sometimes special things happen to exceptional folks.

Actually, I don't think that there is a good explanation for your problem, unelss you had some contamination on the guide feet. Did you have the guide feet very clean before starting to wrap?

Roger

Date: September 11, 2012 04:49PM

The guide feet were right out of the package. They are black. I ground the tips on a bench grinder and polished with 400 grit sandpaper. This has never happened before, so I don't understand why. Since this is a spinning rod, the darkening cannot be seen from the top.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2012 07:32AM

Dave, I had a very similar situation happen. The only thing that was different is that I did not have color preserver on my thread. Same thing happened, thread over a couple of guide feet did turn very dark compared to the rest of the guides, it looked like the thread was "stained" on 2 of the guides right over the feet while the rest of the guide wraps looked fine. My thread was Gudebrod Olive, Gloss Olive Blank and Threadmaster Lite finish. I figured that it was some sort of residue that I did not clean off the guide feet even after I had prepped and polished them. I just removed the two guides that were affected and wrapped them again, after a good cleaning with ISO Alcohol. Second time around, no issue, and they looked exactly the same as the other wraps on the rod.

I wouldn't blame anything on what you did nor the products that you used, something had to be hanging around on those guide feet to cause the dark spots. Now, before I wrap any guides I clean them with ISO Alcohol.

Date: September 12, 2012 04:51PM

Thanks for the info. I've never cleaned the guide feet after preping, but I'll begin doing this as a precaution.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.33.208.---)
Date: September 16, 2012 08:47PM

Another possibility is if the CP did not dry long enough. I have had it happen with some brands more than others, and it doesn't always look identical from wrap to wrap. For some brands overnight drying is required between coats, and yes, some brands require more coats. Another reason that I don't use CP unless I really cannot get a color I want without it.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.79.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 06, 2012 06:48PM

HI David
I had the same thing happen to me, now I clean all my guides as well as the rod, I wash my hands before I start to wrap any rod, this seamed to fixed the problem. Be sure to let all dry then wipe with clean dry rag ( I use a old T _shirt) , no lint to mess you up. Oh yea ,use Iso Alcohol, let day then wipe with dry rag.. good wraps

What is life without fishing ?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster