I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Fly rod on spinning blank
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 02:48PM

Maybe you can email mudhole for the CCS data on the MHX ST1022. If the ERN= 9.5 to 10.5 and the AA= 68 to 70 that may work for you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 03:39PM

I got some Info from them through a friend. I won't quote without permission, but the gist of the message is that the HS9000-2-MHX have been frequently build as a fly rod, and works well as a 8-9wt, with a kind of mod-fast action. That's good news.
Now my main question is: how about the ST1022? how does it compare to the HS9000?
If there's anyone with experience of these blanks, I'd be glad to hear what you think.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 05:43PM

Rods throw weight. They don't know what provides the weight.
1 ounce = 437.5 grains
The first 30 feet of a 5 wt. line weighs 134 to 146 grains, or .304 to .334 ounces.
The first 30 feet of a 6 wt. line weighs 152 to 168 grains, or .347 to .384 ounces.
The first 30 feet of a 7 wt. line weighs 177 to 193 grains, or .405 to .441 ounces
The first 30 feet of an 8 wt. line weighs 202 to 218 grains, or .462 to .498 ounces.
The first 30 feet of a 9 wt. line weighs 230 to 250 grains, or .526 to .571 ounces.
The first 30 feet of a 10 wt. line weighs 270 to 290 grains, or .617 to .663 ounces.
The first 30 feet of an 11 weight line weighs 318 to 342 grains, or .727 to .782 ounces.
The first 30 feet of a 12 wt. line weighs 368 to 392 grains, or .841 to .896 ounces.

Fly line weights, and thus fly rod "weights," were set in the fiberglass blank era, so they don't necessarily reflect the realities of modern graphite blanks. I would not hesitate to plan on overloading a modern graphite "spinning rod blank" by two line weights - grains or ounces - when building it as a fly rod.

Date: September 10, 2012 07:26PM

Phil: I'm quite familiar with the notion and the origins of the rod ratings, but thanks.
If need be, I can specify a little: I'd like a bank with a tip action (aa>70) that would be able to aerialize more than 60' of a 9wt (ern>10.5).
Ideally, the rod would have to be snappy (CCF around 90).

the problem is that I couldn't find anywhere on the web the CCS for the relevant blanks, so I resort to the usual and metaphorical use of the concepts.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: September 11, 2012 11:58AM

I love my hot shot steelhead rods but I don't think they would make a good fly rod. I have the hs9000. The tips on these blanks are ultra-light like. The first 12 inches of the blank flexs but then the blank locks up solid. The blank would offer no cushion if a fish made a quick lunge. Okay with a normal reel and drag...and maybe with an anti-reverse fly reel....but you would need a very quick finger release to protect your tippet.

IMHO a moderate action popping blank would be where I'd look. Castaway makes such blanks and the price is reasonable.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 11, 2012 01:25PM

Russ:

Laurent proposes to use the rod for pike, a species not known for being leader shy and for which bite tippets are the norm. The concerns of dry-fly anglers about start-up drags decrease substantially when 1X and 0X leaders are the norm. I'll bet you would like a hot-shot fly rod once you got used to the timing.

Date: September 11, 2012 02:08PM

Actually, Laurent, my post with grain and ounce numbers is not about the origins of rod ratings but enumerates the still current standards of the fly line industry, handed down by the A.F.T.M.A. more than 50 years ago. Like it or not, our current fly rod blank "weights" are wholly dependent upon those long ago A.F.T.M.A. line ratings, which is why I posted those numbers. Not everyone is as familiar as you and I with the notion and the origins - and still current standards - for the "weights" of fly lines, and the subsequent "weights" of blanks used for fly rods. As Laurent noted, a blank's description is often no more helpful than recommending line weight or lure weight and provides no cross-reference between the two, which is why I did.

Date: September 12, 2012 04:18AM

Russ: Phil is right, I'm more concerned with having enough power to lift heavy lines/flies, and having a good feedback on what happens to the fly than tippet protection -- which you don't need for pike.
I've been told by several people that the HS9000 action is not that fast, but rather mod-fast. would you agree on that?

Phil: you're right, it's worth a reminder. I'm guessing a couple of people wanting to do the same thing (fly rod on spinning blank) will end up here when looking for info. it' s good to have this table as a guideline for power conversion.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: September 12, 2012 07:34AM

IMHO the hs9000 is a perfect light rod for open water fishing when needing to cast very light offerings. It will cast a 1/16 of an ounce. It is best suited for 6 to 8 pound mono range. I wouldn't want to cast much more than a 1/2 ounce. Well regarded for bonefish on the flats in my area. I would consider it a very fast rod but it will bend down into the handle with enough load.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: September 12, 2012 04:14PM

thanks, Russell!

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster