I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Quickline Review
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 08, 2012 10:40PM

Just back from 10 days of fishing in Cordova, Alaska for Silver Salmon (Coho) and thought I would report on the Quickline fly blanks. They don't get much press here. I built an 8 wt Quickline with REC guides and Fuji K strippers and compared it to MHx, Rx8, and my Z-axis, which were all built with REC running guides, and Fuji strippers.

I will say that these blanks don't get enough attention. They are excellent in every way. It has a bit more power in the butt section than the MHx, and a bit less than the RX8. Honestly, the Quickline feels a lot like the Sage Z-Axis, which I realize is no longer their current #1 blank, but it's still a good all-around fishing fly rod. I was actually gratified and surprised, as I had built this rod for a good friend who I wanted to enjoy the trip as it was his first time going to Alaska with us. With a fish on, these rods feel solid, with no hint you are over-matched. Even though I built this for a friend, I caught 10-15 silvers with it myself, and was very impressed. I like fast action rods and the Quickline filled the bill.

Bottom line, if you are not on a Sage budget, and want a light and powerful rod, these are great blanks, and build into great rods. I'm not sure why they don't get more attention and more marketing. Both casting, and with a fish on, these are excellent, and deserve more consideration here. There is the right balance of power, and finesse. The glossy black finish is really classy, and when finished with subtle colors, really look good. I also like the fact that Pacific Bay publishes the Common Cents for these blanks. That makes it easy to recommend these to anyone. I bought from Donart, but other vendors carry the same line of blanks. These are very good.

Not affiliated in any way.

Drew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Quickline Review
Posted by: Dick Ross (---.sub-75-233-203.myvzw.com)
Date: September 08, 2012 11:58PM

I agree! I have built around 7 or 8 in different line weights for customers and i have loved casting all of them. I am about to build 3 of their 6wt switch blanks with one of those for myself. Can't wait to use it.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: September 09, 2012 08:25AM

Agree agian! I have built mostly on the Quickline Mag Bass, so far, and they are really nice. Better power to blank weight ratio than other comparable blanks. I am going to try and fish my new spinning Quickline's today.

They don't get the press - but they are excellent!

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 08:55AM

I've been wanting to build a 9' 5wt, that is, after I've finished the 2 current projects and the next. ^_^
impressive CCS figures (ern=6.76, aa=72, ccf=89) and it should be noted, and I for one am grateful for it, that Pac Bay provides full CCS rating for the blanks, including the frequency.
To the best of my knowledge, they are the only ones to do so. bravo!!

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Dave Crowther (---.sub.tctwest.net)
Date: March 01, 2017 03:49PM

I agree very much. I'm a custom rod builder in Cody, Wyoming. Just built a 9' 4wt single hand and two 10' 4wt czech nymphing rods. All blanks were very high quality and have built excellent performing rods. I believe the CCS data is spot on. Bravo to Pac Bay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster