I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

forgive the rant
Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.ip-142-4-212.net)
Date: September 04, 2012 07:39PM

I was trying to follow some instructions from a magazine I take on another subject non related to custom rod building. It kept flipping shut. The pages would roll up and then would flip over. I had to set a coffee cup on the thing to keep it open and that covered up part of the info and then just as you might think the mag flipped again and dumped coffee everywhere. PO

Got to thinking about how I can easily do this with Rodmaker magazine. It does not try to flip shut. Got to looking and saw the difference. The way the mags are bound is different. RM has flat pages bound with staples so it stays flat when you lay it open to any of the page combinations. This other @#$%& mag has a sort of glued up backbone thing and refuses to stay open unless you set something on it.

Sorry for the rant and glad somebody at RM is aware of the nature of craft style mags that the user may want to open on his workbench so he can work right from an article. Then again maybe the Rm binding is just a happy accident but I am still glad for it regardless.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: forgive the rant
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 04, 2012 08:09PM

No, the binding on RodMaker is no accident. In fact, "perfect binding" which is what you referred to in your other magazine, is far less expensive but not at all conducive to laying flat on your workbench. A lot of thought went into making RodMaker very user friendly.

All quality craft type magazines, Woodturning by the American Association of Woodturners is a good example, are center-stitched with staples (some have two, RodMaker has three). They lie flat when opened on a table or bench, no coffee cup required.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2012 09:05PM

Not a Cure, But a helping Hint

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Bill Mihm (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 05, 2012 03:14PM

The one that is glued is called perfect bound, usually for larger magazines. The one with staples is called saddle stitch, usually fewer pages. Worked in the printing trade for 42 years.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: September 05, 2012 07:28PM

Whatever you want to call it, I hate the glued up magazines that won't stay open when you try to lay them flat.

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: September 06, 2012 03:39PM

Just a suggestion.
Since most of us have copiers at home/business.
I just copy the article and use that in the shop.

Being at times an 'accident waiting to happen' this prevents coffee, glue, epoxy etc., from ruining my really nice copies of RodMaker.

Larry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster