I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SAGE BLANK
Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: August 19, 2012 08:36PM

Has anybody built on the Sage The One blank and how did you like it?

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SAGE BLANK
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 19, 2012 10:57PM

Built one, a 5wt. It is EXTREMELY fast, not for everyone. In my estimation one needs to be a very accomplished caster. It also is hard on light tippet fish sets.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 20, 2012 06:09PM

I have not built on them, but I have fished both the 4 and 5wt factory rods. I'll second Phil's take on them. Not a very versatile rod in my opinion.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 20, 2012 10:32PM

Couldn't a fellow just test cast a factory rod for himself to see how you like the rod in the weight you want? Sage dealers let customers test cast rods.

Posted by: George Krumm (---.gci.net)
Date: August 21, 2012 02:22AM

I've cast the factory 9' 5wt and the 9'6" 7 wt. The seven was good--but my testing environment was in a float tube in a lake and I usually fish lighter rods than 7 wt in my tube. My experience with the 5 wt differed from the guys above. I thought it was fantastic--perhaps the smoothest casting fly blank I've ever touched. I build most of my own fly rods, and I buy blanks from one of the most popular producers of blanks on this forum. The 5 wt cast so smoothly, and the line tracked so straight, I thought I just made a lucky cast. I did it again. And again. Then I picked up my own 5 wt and cast it, thinking my casting might just be spot on that day. That was not the case; for me, the Sage cast significantly easier and better than my own rods. The dampening at the end of the stop is incredibile--very little oscillation (not sure if that's the right term) and straight line casts that I can rarely reproduce on my rods. I like slower rods than many of my freinds. I did not find the Sage 5 wt to be unforgivingly fast at all. On the contrary, I found it to be forgiving, very light, and really easy to cast from a tube. It was not like some of the fast and extra fast rods I've tried in the past. Phil alluded to fast rods leading to broken tippets. I am always concerned about this--that's why I like more moderate actioned rods. I do not at all feel like the Sage One 9' 5 wt is in the category that results in easily broken tippets. I fished 3x and 4x and landed several fish to 21 or 22 inches. No broken tippets. And no concern about it with that rod.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2012 02:27AM by George Krumm.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2012 05:32PM

George, I don't think 3x and 4x is very "light" tippet on a 5wt. Try that rod with 6x and 7x, that's light tippet on a 5wt. Not always necessary to go that light on a 5wt, but it is good to know that it can be done.

Date: August 21, 2012 07:20PM

Test casting a rod at a dealer does not tell you much about how it fishes.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: August 21, 2012 08:27PM

Without a dealer close its hard to test cast.

Mike

Posted by: George Krumm (---.gci.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 02:05AM

Guys, it looks like I need to clarify a little about my experience with the rod. Bill mentioned 3x and 4x aren't the light. I agree. But that was the appropriate size tippet for the flies I was fishing and the fish in that lake which can get into the high 20s (inches). Mike didn't specify using the rod for 6x or 7x; if he had, I couldn't have commented as I have no experience using the rod for that. Bill, I agree--If I was planning on using 6x or less, I wouldn't shop for a 5 wt to fish. Phil, I cast the rods in real world fishing I do in lakes up in Alaska; there was wind, and of course I was in a tube, not at a dealer or on the grass in my front yard. While I'm at it, I want to make it clear that I'm not a dealer, I have no affiliation with Sage, and frankly I don't have the dough to shell out for rod blanks like those. I was offered the chance to test the rods and give an my opinion. I'm not the kind to give enthusiastic praise; people tell me all the time I'm blunt and I understate things I like. I am suspicious of hype. I now feel the hype generated for that rod is warranted. I was very impressed by that rod. A disclaimer is in order: I fished this rod for two days, several hours each time, in a float tube. I just wanted you all to be aware of the scope of my experience. Maybe somebody has used it more and can weigh in with their experience?

Date: August 22, 2012 01:50PM

George, I don't think anyone was questioning you experience or credentials! The point about tippet sizes, has to do with the rigidity of the Sage One. Fishing with 5, 6 and 7X is quite common with a 5wt rod, especially in streams and rivers where the fish are spooky.

I am in complete agreement that the Sage One is the most accurate rod I have cast, but my whole point is that there is more to selecting a fly rod than just it's casting ability.

If I was entering a casting accuracy contest, the Sage One would be my choice, however for fishing, it would not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 04:48PM by Phil Erickson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster