I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim Wraps Problems
Posted by: Chris McDaniel (---.lightspeed.brhmal.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 09:57AM

Attempting to do some trim wraps using both the metalic Pro-kote and Gudebrond. I tape the thread and pull to the blank then start my wrap like normal after about 5 turns I wrap the trim 3 wraps and pull it back under my main wrap cut the tag ends and finish the wrap. I am having issues with the trim wrap staying tight and packed. Is it just because they are the metallic threads on a glossy blank and they are slipping?
The Pro-Kote seems harder to work with than the Gudebrond. Does anyone make a silver or gold that is more like one of the regular ncp threads? Thought I might need to tighten up my main wrap to keep the trim in place so I tried that before pulling the trim under - that seems like it causes the trim to break or pull pieces off when I pull them back under.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim Wraps Problems
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 10:03AM

Chris,
Rather than using 5 wraps to hold the trim, use 15 wraps to hold the trim.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 15, 2012 10:08AM

Hi Chris,
Try putting a few more wraps over the trim and/or putting some cp on the trim. You are correct saying that metallic slips easier than regular thread. Metallics do de laminate easily and you need to be careful, the outside metallic layer is very thin. You will improve with metallics when you get used to the stuff. Try some other brands and see how you go with them.
Madeira make gold and silver and it looks good but I've haven't got any yet. Billy Vivona says it's good

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mick McComesky (130.76.96.---)
Date: August 15, 2012 10:27AM

When I do small trim bands with metallic, I always CP them and let them dry before trimming.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 09:48PM

I have 2 recommendations:

1) Try Sulky Metallics. They are strong but a little thinner than the other rodbuilding metallics and a little thinner than A size thread. You may need to add another wrap or 2 to get the same thickness trim band.

2) If you want a trim band 5 turns into your main wrap, try this:
Tape your trim thread to the blank. Make the 5 turns of main wrap thread over the trim thread.
Start the trim band by wrapping over the main wrap in the same direction. Put the number of trim band wraps you want. It's best to loosen the main wrap thread a bit when over wrapping the trim.
To finish, tuck the trim thread under the main wrap. Turn 1/4 turn. Pull the tag end so that there is a small loop underneath the main wrap, and the tag end is now pointed in the direction you are wrapping.
Make 8-10 more turns to secure the trim tag end. Pull out the loop and give it an extra tug to tighten the trim band.
Now the trim is secured on both ends, and is tight to the blank.

Terry

Posted by: Steve Wann (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 15, 2012 10:40PM

You tube is your best friend. There is a method that is much easier. Tape a stiring straw to the blank and wrap around that 5 times. Take the tag end and run it back through the gap between the rod and the straw. Take the tag end that is on the opposite side and run it between the straw and the rod (on the opposite side you ran the first one). Lift the two tag ends up together and slide the wrap off the straw and next to the wrap you want it to trim. Pull the tag ends away from each other and they will tighten up. Trim the tags and move on.

Sorry if this is ambiguous. It's hard to explain on a keyboard.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2012 05:29PM

Chris

Ditto on the Sulky metallic threads. I find them to be the most user friendly metallics!

Rog

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 16, 2012 05:30PM

Chris

Ditto on the Sulky metallic threads. I find them to be the most user friendly metallics!

Rog

Posted by: Todd Badgley (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 19, 2012 11:29AM

The nail knot method works well. I do it like the flex coat video. I start the trim wrap with only 1 wrap, then add my thread loop. 4-5 wraps then cut and pull thru. Pack before trimming and then don't touch it again. It gets tough closer to the tip. Make sure you have a lot of tension. Be patient and practice.

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: August 20, 2012 03:00PM

I use this method, works very well.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 09:03AM

I do my trim totally different then that

Another trick is to wet the blank with your finger It helps to keep the thread from sliding

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster