I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fishing rod or fishing pole?
Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 08:09PM

I'm sure the topic has come up on this forum before but as far as the general public goes these two term seem to mean the same thing anymore. I know the difference I would just like to hear your idea of the difference between them without me stating my mind on the subject.

So what is a fishing rod and what is a fishing pole?

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fishing rod or fishing pole?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 08:30PM

Fishing rod = reel and line
Fishing pole = line tied to blank

When someone tells me they want me to build them a nice fishing pole, I figure that price isn't an object. :-)

Date: August 11, 2012 08:38PM

That's funny! Thank you Jim!
Any others like to throw in a couple cents?
I'll explain the reasoning in looking for more posts later.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 08:44PM

I cringe when I hear someone say "pole" or "fishing pole". It reminds me of Andy Griffith and Opie walking down that gravel road with "poles" in hand.

Date: August 11, 2012 09:01PM

I remember doing the Opie thing as a kid, I cringe as well anymore.
Thanks Lance!

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 09:36PM

I had a " Fishin' pole" - it was a length of bamboo cut green that I tied a hunk of string on & tied on a hook - it worked great for sunfish, shiners and carp baited up with dough balls and "secret mix" of herbs and spices. Unlike Opie, Tom Sawyer & Huck Finn I did wear shoes (Keds) all summer long) polo shirts & canvas pants ( that my Dad got from work at Celenese - long defunct company). My Schwinn, fishin' pole and I really enjoyed our times together!

Now I have Fishing rods; wear shorts & woven cotton shirts; drive around in a Mitsubishi 3000GT (VR4); mostly wear sandals in summer and put on expensive waders to catch "game" fish on bits of fluff & tinsel using ... a bamboo rod.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 11, 2012 09:55PM

Hi Ken,
You look like you've done the complete circle with the bamboo, old habits die hard!!
The Andy Griffith show brings back the odd memory. Used to see the odd "pole" in my younger days but not many now as all the kids have rods. I started with a 100 yds of second hand 12lb mono wrapped on a drink bottle to fish off the beach. Surprising what you can catch when you can't throw very far, there is a lesson there for the beach bunnies!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 10:18PM

Wyle,
It really doesn't matter.
We all know that either word means that it is a tool to catch a fish.

Roger

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: August 11, 2012 11:02PM

When I was about nine years old, we were living outside the small town in eastern California called Roseville. My dad cut a willow branch, stripped it , tied a hunk of fishing line to one end. He then attached a small sinker, a bobber, and a hook. He told me to make little dough ball from bread. I caught a catfish. That was a fishing pole. When you attach a handle, a reel seat or reel bands, guides, and a tip top, you have a fishing rod. IMHO.
Mike Blomme

Date: August 11, 2012 11:54PM

Thank you for your replies gentelmen!

Here is the reason for the questions I have asked, this came by way of email today. Hope this doesn't cause me or anyone any troubles. I got a pretty good laugh out of it but just wanted to back myself.

Below is the email excluding the phone number that hasn't been asnswered yet.

Wylie my name is Gary Wheeler this E-Mail is about the PATENT rights on the light up FISHING POLE ,I have the Patent on the Lighted fishing ,You need to contact me about this matter SOON.At gwheeler@valornet.com This is the 1 st. attempt at an cease and assist on the making and selling of these Light up Fishing Poles THANKS GARY WHEELER 918 357 3009

The cease and assist part almost had me rolling on the floor! LOL!

Edit: I should have clearified that Gary patented a fishing pole and not a fishing rod.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2012 11:58PM by Wylie Wiggins.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 01:25AM

If your Polish and you fish, then your a fishing pole. As I.You can't patent a fishing pole ,We were here before any patent office.

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2012 01:31AM by Dennis Danku.

Date: August 12, 2012 08:50AM

Wylie Wiggins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The cease and assist part almost had me rolling on
> the floor! LOL!

I wouldn't laugh too hard. I just queried his name on Lexis and you would NOT be the first person he has sued. He does have a patent, found on Nexis, that IS valid and most likely applicable. You might want to rethink your position.

Date: August 12, 2012 11:23AM

I've looked into his background as well.
I guess you understand why I made this post.
He really doesn't scare me, I've dealt with much larger fish than him already. I could use some publicity from a good law suit, celebs seem to make it work for them. LOL!

Thanks Jim!

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Date: August 12, 2012 11:31AM

Wylie Wiggins Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I could use some
> publicity from a good law suit, celebs seem to
> make it work for them. LOL!

You have more money than I do to spend on this type of matter. The last personal lawsuit that I engaged in, against my desires, cost me just over $20k to "win" - that was in 1997. Today's legal costs are considerably higher. Good luck.

Date: August 12, 2012 12:21PM

I just spoke with Gary and from what he told me he'd rather work together than file a law suit. With proper paperwork in place I wouldn't be against it.

He'd be fighting an up hill battle anyway. I filed for my patent May 19th 1999 and he filed for his in July of 2003.

It's about 30k just to walk into a court room on matters like this these days.

I told him he'd be much better off going after big fish like Berkeley, at least he has them beat by filing date.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 12, 2012 02:02PM

Very simple!! When I hear them called Poles, I I make sure that they understand that Edison/Phone companies use Poles, Anglers use Rods!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 05:53PM

The things you see hanging over a pickup's tailgate, each with a three ounce sinker slashing up and down, back and forth on the line at every bump? They have guides, at least for a short while, but you may be sure these are fish poles, not rods.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 12, 2012 09:44PM

Wylie,
Glad to hear from you again. I had looked for you a couple of times over the recent past and had not been able to located you.
Glad that you are up and at them.

Roger

Date: August 12, 2012 10:54PM

Thanks Roger! Rollin with the punches man. LOL!

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 13, 2012 10:07AM

A rod has a reel seat, grips and guides on it, a pole does not have anything on it.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2012 01:10PM by Bob McKamey.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster