I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power Wrapper Question
Posted by: Barney Threadgill (---.180.213.151.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 01:16PM

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum, got interested in building my own rods recently and may be moving forward soon to aquire the supplies and equipment to get started. I am looking at a power wrapper either a Renzetti ($769ish) or a ALPS Upgraded Power Wrapper ($369ish). Just wanted to see if anyone had any input on the ALPS, review are limited but from what I can tell it looks like a good machine. I see from the reviews that the Renzetti seems to be the cats meow. However there is about a $400 difference. I realize you get what you pay for but I have also seen situations where start ups were very aggressie to gain market share and had a good product. I don't plan to build a bunch of rods, mine family and friends. Any feed back would be appreciated, and any other equipment suggestions would be welcomed, wrappers or otherwise.

Thanks in advance,
Barney Threadgill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Wrapper Question
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 01:32PM

The ALPS (Batson Enterprises) machine is similar if not identical to the PacBay / American Tackle wrappers. These are all good "entry level" machines. I've had one of each in nearly daily use for over eight years. The addition of the upgraded ALPS chuck is worth every penny spent - yes, I also have two of those connected to the PacBay / American Tackle wrappers that I use. The ALPS with the upgrade chuck is going to run you about $450.00 (including shipping) - I would consider that a "must have". I also have a Renzetti that does not get nearly as much use as either of the other two wrappers. Why? 1/ The Renzetti thread carriage is a little more difficult to set up & change threads on (but does allow a couple of turns of "back up" if needed) 2/ the Renzetti carriage doesn't have a magnet on the carriage (easily solved with adhesive backed magnetic strips). Mine is simply in a more awkward place in the shop (my error when designed). What I've found on all of them is that mounting them on 2x6's really helps stability while maintaining mobility (yes, I could have bolted them to the counter tops - but wanted to maintain the ability to reposition them from time to time). Don't misunderstand: The Renzetti IS the better machine but if you're planning on 5-10 rods / year then the Renzetti is probably overkill & a decent bench top wood lathe with a way to center bore would be a good place to spend the left over $400.00

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 02:30PM

Barney, welcome to the forum.

"I don't plan to build a bunch of rods, mine family and friends."

For the amount of rods you're planning to build, the power wrapper is unnecessary. Use the money you'd spend on the wrapper and put it towards rod components. I did my first 40 or so rods without a power wrapper and they turned out fine. I'm sure yours will too. All you need to do is set up some V blocks or something similar. If you perform a search in the photos section you'll find many examples of what other builders are using.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 03:12PM

I have built hundreds of rods on a hand wrapper and much prefer it to a power wrapper. I also suggest a hand wrapper. Look at the Sully Wrapper, it is a very nice unit.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: July 24, 2012 03:30PM

I am with Chad and Jim, I have built hundreds of rods on my hand wrapper and prefer it over power.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (74.198.165.---)
Date: July 24, 2012 04:22PM

With only a dozen or so rods to my name, my comments should be seen as those of a beginner, compared to some of the experts here.
It's true that fine rods can be made using manual equipment, however, I have some arthritis in my hands and find turning the rod painful.
After researching the verious machines available, I will be buying the up-grade Alps wrapper from Get Bit in the near future.
Garry2rs

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 05:18PM

Barney -
I jumped right to a comparison on power wrappers. I have to go along with Chad, Jim and Don though. I wrapped rods by hand for about 15 years before I moved to a power wrapper so - no they are not a necessity - but they do make life a ton easier for me (carpal tunnel; touch of arthritis) especially considering the rods that I wrap are mainly saltwater trolling rods and my customers like under wraps.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 06:19PM

I'll ditto Garry's recommendations due to arthritic issues, Did 50+ rods by hand until the thumbs could no longer take it, Switched to the PacBay wrapper and then upgraded to the ALPS chuck. The machine will last longer then you will build rods, you'll be able to hand it down to the next generation. If you have any hint of repetitive motion issues, go with the power wrapper.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 24, 2012 11:00PM

I've been hand wrapping for over 20 years and have a very nice power wrapper that is used ONLY for sanding/cleaning/repairing grips. I would invest in a wood midi lathe and build a hand wrapper.

IMO the type of wrapper has ZERO impact on build quality

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Barney Threadgill (---.valero.com)
Date: July 24, 2012 11:46PM

Thanks for the input to all of you. I will take it into consideration before I make a decision. It is really very much appreciated, thanks for offering the insight on Carpel Tunnel, Arthritis, and repetitive motion issues. I hadn't considered these and will likely be an issue for me.

Thanks for your help,
Barney Threadgill

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 11:57PM

Barney,
Good for you.
Many years ago, when I built my first rod, I wrapped it by hand. After the rod was finished, I said, I will never build another rod without the use of a power wrapper.
As is often the case, I ended up building about a dozen different power wrappers over the years. As I went from one wrapper to the next, I would always try to go one better to make it a better unit.

I will admit, that I enjoy making new tooling probably more than building rods. When you build new tools you are always looking at something new and different. It is fun to see a challenge and do your best to overcome it.

The came can be said of building a new rod. But unless you are doing something particularly different in the form of a special weave or wrap, all of the guides all tend to blur together.

Also, don't discount the idea of making your own power wrapper.

After all, a power wrapper is composed of the following:
1. Power unit.
2. Head and chuck unit.
3. Lathe bed.
4. Several ball bearing rod supports.
5. A way to mount thread and a device to tension the thread.

For each of these items there are many choices that can be made to determine what is best for you.

If you have questions on something that you might like to make for your self, just drop me an e-mail
hflier@comcast.net

Also, don't forget to check out the pictures in the equipment section of this forum. There are many very clever ideas for power wrappers that are shown in these pictures.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 25, 2012 12:00AM

Like the others i too have the American Tackle power wrapper. What is interesting though, I find myself using it as a hand wrapper, by dropping the drive belt off, to make a lot of wraps as it is easier to back up if needed. Once the rod is set up I find the rollers make hand wrapping a breeze.

But it sure comes in handy on under wraps.

Tom Wewerka
Toms Custom Rods and Repair

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: July 25, 2012 03:43AM

Hi Barney,
I've been building rods by hand turning for over 35 years and I enjoy doing it that way and I think I have more control than I would with a power wrapper. The only time I would like one is for long butt wrap under wraps but I just put myself in robot mode when doing them. I'm fortunate that I don't have any arthritis issues and my hands a fine. As has been said by Ken and others the Alps machine with the upgrade is fine and would be fine for you. You can spend the saved cash on other equipment and components. Enjoy your rodbuilding.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster