I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultra light ice rods
Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.sub-174-252-48.myvzw.com)
Date: July 24, 2012 11:42AM

I know this is a bit out of season, but I'd like to build a few ultra light panfish ice rods and I'm not really sure how to do this. Most of the blanks I've found are around.125" and all the cork and reel seat arbors are around .25" inside diameter. How do you make the connection? Also any other tips for building ice rods would be appreciated. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra light ice rods
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afnoc.af.mil)
Date: July 24, 2012 01:02PM

Janns has .125 cork...

I find that those thin blanks flex too much, I like to use scrap blanks to sleeve the ice blanks in, and then i can use normal handle materials without having blank flex issues in the grip.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 02:08PM

I build tape arbors under the cork.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.batelnet.bs)
Date: July 24, 2012 09:12PM

What your looking for and more for ice fishing:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2012 11:59PM

X10 on Andrews idea.
I also think that many of the very light action rods, do not have a heavy or stiff enough butt section for the handle area.
So, I will routinely nest the butt of the rod inside a larger hollow blank before gluing the assembly into the handle.

But, if you do just a bit of searching, there are several suppliers that make 1/8th inch hole - handles available for use in building ice rods.

Roger

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.static.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 25, 2012 10:11AM

Zack,
Get a hold of MudHole. They now have, or will have shortly graphite sleeves that wil fit over the ice rod blank to keep it from flexing under the grip parts. Use tape arbors to build up the blank and then epoxy the blank to the sleeve. Then epoxy the grip parts onto the sleeve and you have a solid connection and still have the flex in the ice rod blank.

Any futher questions shoot me an email.

Buzz

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2012 04:02PM

Zack,
we have a new part "IRHT-10" which is a 10" carbon tube 0.250" OD X 0.200" ID. We have had these made for mounting your handle parts on then securing directly to the Ice Blank. These currently aren't on the website but should be up in the next couple of days.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.sub-174-252-35.myvzw.com)
Date: July 26, 2012 12:03PM

Thanks Todd, I'll be sure to get a few with my next order.
I'm guessing I'll have to make some modifications to my wrapping jig in order to wrap on the short flimsy rods. What does everyone else do?

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: July 27, 2012 06:54AM

Wrapping guides on the very flexible blanks is tough. Get your rod standards/upright as close together as possible. Get lots of sleep before hand, and leave the beer alone till after the wraps. There are no secrets with this wrap. Just take your time. They are very nice ice rods and very popular with ice anglers who do not want to use spring bobbers, they are a challenge to wrap. Stay away from metallic. Make it as easy on yourself as possible and you will have good results.

Buzz

Posted by: chip burdick (---.203.191.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: July 28, 2012 09:38AM

Thats all I build is ice rods. A tip for doing the tops is I use my left hand (index finger) as a guide to hold the tension and my right hand to wrap on a power wrapper. I have a guide I made out of a credit card to guide the top. Real thin and I rest it right on the top. There are some real good ideas on the photos page for tools. Some rods I do I sand the tip down so that it's extremely flexible for either a crappie rod or a light bite perch rod. Just looking at it, it bends, lol. I will use cork rings that have no hole and drill my own and ream them as you would a "regular" rod. I made a jig to go into a drill press that makes for easy set up. I don't have alot of tools. Just some basic tools I made from ideas that I got here. These guys are very knowledgable and are more than happy to share information. Take your time and remember you will have to redo some work. Thats ok.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: July 29, 2012 04:31PM

Thanks for the info chip! I like the idea of creative tools made from from everyday items. Can't wait to get to work on some ice rods!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster