I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides for 4 and five weights
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nbrncmtc01.nwbrnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 11:16AM

Ok,

So I have stepped out of my normal panfish or bass rods and have picked up a couple of fly blanks for myself and my Mom. I have a Batson RX8XF865-4 and a St. Croix 42F905.2. I am looking for guide suggestions and possible spacing. I do realize that I will have to do a static test but am looking for a starting place. The blanks will be utilized for panfish and possibly trout. I've searched and seen suggestion for the stripper to use one of the following three sizes (16,12 and even 10) then followed by 3's or even 2's. I would like to utilize single foot for the runners and am open to ALL suggestions. I would like to make it the most efficient build that I can.

Thanks
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides for 4 and five weights
Posted by: Greg LaPolla (69.111.16.---)
Date: July 22, 2012 11:24AM

For the Batson blank look here: [www.rainshadowfishing.com]

For the St Croix look here: [www.stcroixrods.com]

That should get you started

I would go with a 12 and a 10 stripper then 4 4's and 4 3's in the single foot

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/2012 11:27AM by Greg LaPolla.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 01:45PM

Once you have chosen your stripping guide(s) choose a size of running guide that will allow the fly line and the knots between fly line and leader as between fly line and backing. There is no reason to choose more than one size running guide. The choice of type of running guide is up to you. If you like single foot guides uses them If you like the traditional snake guides, then use them. If you use the static distribution test you will easily see how the guides should be spaced--this is not rocket science. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: July 22, 2012 01:49PM

Greg's outline is fine, but skip the #4's and go directly to seven or eight #3's if you know those are larger enough to pass your line and leader knot. It'll save a bit of weight and give you a straighter line path.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 02:19PM

The standard loop fly tops can add a lot of weight in a bad place on a light rod. I like either the REC tops with the aluminum tube, or the titanium tops from Fuji.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 03:54PM

I would go with a 12,10, 4, and 2's the rest of the way out. Single foot 2's should pass the knot just fine,

Ron Weber

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 05:38PM

I'm with Ron's suggestion. A regular fly rod tip top is same size as a size 2 single foot guide.

Date: July 22, 2012 05:44PM

I greatly appreciate the advice guys! It got me wondering though, since I am not going to be passing a knot through the guides ( the leaders are normally fairly short for the type of work that we do) would I be able to get away with a 2.0 mm micro for the runners? would the micro's offer any advantage?

Date: July 22, 2012 05:52PM

well, I just tried to get the fly line through some of the 2.0 mm's. NOPE, doesn't fit but it will easily fit into a 2.5 mm. Do you feel I would be loosing anything by using these guides over a single foot snake? would the weigh more than the snake? I would tape a set of each up and do a bit of test casting but I don't have any of the snakes to test with.

Thanks,
Tom

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: July 22, 2012 06:09PM

Tom,
We see a lot of ideas on using smaller guides.
Most of them are good.
One thing to consider is not only knots to pass, but does anything ever get picked up from the water on the line while fishing?
This is especially true with thicker fly lines.
It is not only a question of what works test casting, but what works well under actual fishing conditions in your area.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: July 22, 2012 06:48PM

Ron,

Good point, I have noticed on bass builds if there is heavy duck weed or scum on the water it will get into the guides and can foul them up along with cotton wood fuzz as well. As I am not familiar with snake guide sizing do you feel the single foot snake 3's would be optimal in these conditions or can I go smaller? (I appreciate the help, my Mom was blown away with your shop while she was living down there. She stopped for a visit and was very impressed)

Tom

Date: July 22, 2012 07:23PM

If a 2 isn't passing your line and/or connections cleanly, try a 3. You want to go as small as you can, but not too small.

Date: July 22, 2012 07:49PM

I hope that I don't sound ignorant here as that is not the intention but are snake guides sized the same as ceramics?

Date: July 22, 2012 07:51PM

No. A #3 snake will have a lot larger opening than most #3 ceramics will.

Date: July 22, 2012 07:57PM

Thanks Tom! I will just order the 3's and build em!

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: July 23, 2012 12:16AM

Thomas, excuse me but I assumed you were planning on using single foot wire fly guides. A size 2 single foot wire fly guide is about the same i.d. as a #7 or #8 ceramic guide.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: July 23, 2012 08:36AM

Greg,
Thank you!! Can you give a comparison of the snake sizes to ceramic sizes in 1/0 and 2/0?

Posted by: Doug Lockwood (---.lightspeed.whtnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 23, 2012 11:39AM

Here is a table for a specific snake guide BSNG from the Mudhole website.

1/0 - Horizontal I.D. - 4.8
2/0 - Horizontal I.D. - 4.5
1 - Horizontal I.D. - 5.1
2 - Horizontal I.D. - 5.7
3 - Horizontal I.D. - 6.3
4 - Horizontal I.D. - 7.0
5 - Horizontal I.D. - 7.7
6 - Horizontal I.D. - 8.5

Most manufactures have drawings with the sizes.

HTH

Doug

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2012 11:40AM by Doug Lockwood.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: July 23, 2012 01:39PM

greatly appreciate all of the help guys. I have placed the order and the stuff should be here shortly! Am looking to putting them together and getting them on the water.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster