I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marlin Trolling blank suggestions
Posted by: Earl Hamilton (121.54.92.---)
Date: July 04, 2012 09:58AM

I'm looking to build some stand up all roller marlin rods with short curved butts for trolling skirts from a small center console using 50-80lb lines. Any suggestions would be appreciated for blanks. I would like to put Winthrops Excell rollers on and also do leather grips if they are an improvement on hard EVA. I have had a suggestion that the United composites Challenger Platinum 50-80 could be good for this, but I want to be sure that the blank is right for 8kg of strike drag to set the hooks as well as can be done. Thanks guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marlin Trolling blank suggestions
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.onlinehome-server.info)
Date: July 04, 2012 03:31PM

Call or E-mail the guys out at Seeker Rod Co. They will put you on the right blank for the job! They make great stuff IMO.

IF you can get really, really firm EVA I'd go that way. But if not then leather over cork or flock over cork.

Posted by: Dane Newman (---.wehi.edu.au)
Date: July 04, 2012 09:26PM

Seeker or Calstar for sure. My first look would be at the 6455XH (for 50lb) or the 6455XXH (for 80lb).

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 04, 2012 10:27PM

I can't advise as I'm not lucky enough to fish for them. IMHO Seeker and Calstar are the safe choices. United Composites, CTS, and Phenix would be the ones I'd look at for cutting edge designs.

CTS would be particulary high on my list to try and the Cali crowd seems quite impressed with Phenix.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 05, 2012 02:04PM

Hello Earl.

Old school I'd go with American Tackle AXRT-80 or a little newer, a Batson FSU56-XXL.
Even older school, a Lamiglas WRT 130 that will haul in a semi-truck but it weighs 21 & 3/4oz's.

Happy picking.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 06, 2012 09:49AM

If you are fishing stand up, you are going to want no longer than 6ft. This means with a #2 butt, you are looking at 4-4.5ft blanks. The AXRT80 will create a 7ft rod which is brutal for stand up fishing. Short curved generally translates to either no harness or simple fighting belt. You want maximum power here, and additional unnecessary length is a bad thing.

I would go with AXST56XHS 50-80#. Blank is 48.5" I never want to be undergunned in a situation like that, so I tend to build this type of tackle a little on the heavier side, so you may want to even goto the AXST56XXHS.
Pair that with a numbe 2 American Tackle Aluminum Butt Short Curved will give you an overal finished rod at 5'6". The AXST60XHS for an overall finished rod of 6'0".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster