I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for a modern glass fly rod blank Any recommendations?
Posted by: Jason Harbottle (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: July 03, 2012 07:36PM

Hi i am looking for a glass blank to build myself a nice light classic glass fly rod,Anywhere from a 2-5 weight.TY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2012 07:45PM by Jason Harbottle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for a modern glass fly rod blank Any recommendations?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: July 03, 2012 07:48PM

Posted by: Doug Lockwood (---.lightspeed.whtnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 03, 2012 08:10PM

Jan's has [www.jannsnetcraft.com], a 5/6 Weight 8' fiberglass.
I just bought 3 to build.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 03, 2012 08:32PM

Jason, several outfits sell fiberglass fly rod blanks. My personal favorite is CTS, they have the Quartz Glass series, I have built a bunch of them for myself and customers. Lamiglas makes a decent value priced blank. Stefan Bros has a pretty loyal following along with Mike McFarland. Tom Morgan is also selling blanks, bit pricey though. Seeker shows some glass fly blanks too, but I have never seen any of the suppliers out there advertising them. South Fork Rod Company (think they are the former owners of Redington) has blanks. TL Johnson was making glass blanks, but I haven't seen or heard much from them lately. If you can find one, the Vermont made Diamondback Diamondglass were pretty sweet, they along with some older Fenwick glass blanks will show up on the @#$%& sites now and then.
Glass is some pretty sweet stuff to build and fish!

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 04, 2012 11:10AM

I'm currently building a Lamiglas FL904 glass blank. 7 1/2' 4Wt and it has a very good following with the fiberglass crowd. Nice dry fly rod and reasonably priced. I got this from Anglers Workshop, one of our suppliers on the left.

Lamiglas discontinued their line of multi-piece pack blanks (6-piece) that many of us used to make fly/spin combos and that lami marketed for a long time. Still a good blank if you can find them online.

Terry

Date: July 04, 2012 04:34PM

Thanks very much guys sounds like there are many nice options out there,Its been many years since i fished or built glass rods its about time i get back into them. Thanks again Everyone, Cheers

Date: July 04, 2012 04:40PM

Bill Hickey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jason, several outfits sell fiberglass fly rod
> blanks. My personal favorite is CTS, they have the
> Quartz Glass series, I have built a bunch of them
> for myself and customers. Lamiglas makes a decent
> value priced blank. Stefan Bros has a pretty loyal
> following along with Mike McFarland. Tom Morgan is
> also selling blanks, bit pricey though. Seeker
> shows some glass fly blanks too, but I have never
> seen any of the suppliers out there advertising
> them. South Fork Rod Company (think they are the
> former owners of Redington) has blanks. TL Johnson
> was making glass blanks, but I haven't seen or
> heard much from them lately. If you can find one,
> the Vermont made Diamondback Diamondglass were
> pretty sweet, they along with some older Fenwick
> glass blanks will show up on the @#$%& sites now
> and then.
> Glass is some pretty sweet stuff to build and
> fish!

Thanks Bill yes the Cts blanks are very sweet i have not tried one of there glass blanks but i have built several float rods and i really like them they make a really nice light powerful blank.If a customer wants a float rod built that is what i would recommend is Cts A Little pricey but well worth the coin in my opinion. Thanks for all the great info

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster