I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

aluminium boat seam leak repair with G-Flex 650 Epoxy?
Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 13, 2012 06:27PM

Has anyone ever used this epoxy? It is touted to be an excellent sealant for aluminium boat leak repair, and bonds wood to aluminium as well. I wnt for an unintended swim the other day and had to be rescued. Have no intention of letting that happen again...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: aluminium boat seam leak repair with G-Flex 650 Epoxy?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2012 07:27PM

What do you plan to use it for? Boat repair or rod building? All adhesives are designed with certain applications in mind.

Date: June 13, 2012 07:35PM

I need it for a boat repair. Aluminium boat leaking at the seam between wood transom sheath and the metal boat.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2012 07:46PM

maybe you have already but Google up alum boat repare in your area

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2012 07:52PM

My guess is it's a paste type epoxy and should be excellent for that type repair. Similar to products such as PC-7 or JB Weld.

Not so good for common rod building chores, however.

Date: June 13, 2012 08:31PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I have found a source online. No store in my area has it or is even familiar with it. I've tried hardware and boat repair. So I'm wondering if it's a good product. A little expensive at $59.00 plus shipping for 32oz.
Plus I want to finish the repair ASAP and not wait 3-6 days for delivery. So I posted to see if anyone is familiar with it.

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 13, 2012 08:40PM

I filled a leaking seam in my aluminum boat with several applications of regular wrap finish - ls supreme i think! Still holding after 2 years of "painting the rocks" on the bottom of the Juniata river!

Rog

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 13, 2012 08:52PM

Aluminum can be welded ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: June 14, 2012 01:57AM

if you are only sealing the water out use RTV no streneth but will hold to alum. an stop the water leak from the inside, most hardwear stores stock it make sure it is the type that will hold on to Alumin. not a paint or house sealeant, have used it on my ALUMIN CANOE many times to seal a seam

Date: June 14, 2012 06:21PM

I think electronically only

Date: June 14, 2012 06:23PM

like this idea. I was considering the epoxies we use. I just purcvhased the G-flex 650 online. Will let you guys know if it works or I drown.

Posted by: John DeMartini (12.54.94.---)
Date: June 19, 2012 10:58AM

How long is the seam leak?
Yes aluminum can be welded.
I used J-B weld to seal leaks around the rivits on my boat.
Reguardless what adhesive or sealant you use you MUST properly prepare the surface.

John

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 19, 2012 01:46PM

If you sunk, you need more than epoxy

If you dont have a bilge pump you need one

If your boat has rivets, it's likely not the seam

I have found nothing to work better than clear "fish tank sealant". This is pure silicone that fish tanks are MADE FROM. This is the stuff that seals glass to glass and aluminum to glass and the like. It is MADE to be IN water. I used this on an older Grumman I had that hit every rock in the 4 rivers near me, worked GREAT. Sold the boat several years later and it's still a dry ride. I sealed every seam and rivet with ease.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster