I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ice Fishing Blanks
Posted by: Stephen Gruber (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: June 11, 2012 11:28PM

I'm intentionally leaving this pretty generic because I'm interested in the full spectrum of your responses: What is your favorite ice fishing blank? What is most requested by your customers?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ice Fishing Blanks
Posted by: Phil Ruhlmann (64.208.230.---)
Date: June 12, 2012 09:11AM

Thorne Brothers ice fishing blanks hands down.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 02:58PM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle offers a large selection of CRB Ice Rod blanks and components at:
[www.mudhole.com]

Also, MHX offers a solid carbon Ice Rod Blank:
[www.mudhole.com]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (192.193.216.---)
Date: June 12, 2012 03:30PM

I too like the Thorne Bros Sweetheart series...although they can get a bit pricy so I don't have many. I like the CRB series and the MHX line as well from Mudhole.

Mudhole - any plans on offering a MHX line of something other than Fast/Light in the future?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2012 05:29PM by Andy Stromsness.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 12, 2012 05:34PM

We had requests for some heavier actions in the ice rod blanks, but after designing them and pricing them we found customers would just be better off buying one of the regular full size CRB blanks ($14 to $20) and cutting them down for heavier action ice blanks - that way you can cut them to the power, lenght and action you want.

Yes, we'll look in to some additional actions of the current ice blanks. We value customer feedback like yours, please email todd@mudhole.com to discuss exactly what your looking for.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 14, 2012 09:44PM

I've had a lot of requests for St, Croix, Thorne Bros. and something to match the old South Bend Fiberglass blanks. My favorite now is the one I've had manufactured for me. It's a solid graphite blank that I really love. Currently I have a light action and a medium action. I've built most of these for and with a spring bobber system and I've been able to detect and catch minnows so small it's funny and then catch monster Bass, Walleye, Pike, etc. I tell everyone they'll catch and land minnows to monsters if fished properly. I'm hoping to get a few more blank designs made down the road. So far everyone has been very happy with my current blanks.

Ray Mazza
Midstream Rods
Hardwater Customs
Utica, NY

Posted by: Stephen Gruber (---.new.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2012 12:37AM

Does St. Croix even sell ice rod blanks? Did I miss them in the online catalog?

Posted by: Ray Mazza (---.syrcny.east.verizon.net)
Date: June 15, 2012 01:20PM

The St. Croix blanks I was refering to are old stock Avids that I bought years ago. As far as I know, you can't find them anyplace. That's one of the reasons I had my own high end blanks made in bulk. I have more coming for fall, just in time for winter builds and anyone who wants some. Not that the sponsors on the left don't have good products and pricing. It's where I shop for eveything else! I simply knew what I wanted and the idea of having some made to my specs was an experience I wanted to have.
Ray

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: June 19, 2012 06:03PM

I have been using 6' solid glass saltwater blanks from Batson for a few years now to build my heavy ice rods.
I cut them down to 32"-42" depending on use and required action/power.
They have been great for large lake trout and pike and have been getting more interest from anglers wishing to get into a custom heavy ice rod here in Canada as well as the US.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: chip burdick (---.203.191.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 25, 2012 02:49PM

I use any solid blank that I can sand down and "custom" make to my likeing. I use a solid carbon blank close to what I want and sand the tip to the backbone to get what I want. This is for a feel rod like a walleye rod. I use a solid fiberglass or glass/graphite for sight rods. I made some crappie rods that have mostly tip and little backbone. I do this so when setting the hook I am not pulling through their mouths. My perch rods ( which I made quite a few of to fish with) will vary from just a little tip and all backbone to half tip and half backbone depending on the bite. The reason I got into rod building is because I could not find the rods I liked. By making my own the way I want I have increased my catches signifigantly. I do 90% of my fishing through the ice. The other 10% is spring crappie fishing. Summertime is time for me to make my rods which do take time to sand, but worth it to me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster