I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Do you know where your power comes from?!?
Posted by: John Locke (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 08:55PM

Set the stage...inexperienced builder, on only my second build. Had a chance to go on a camping/fishing trip to the Housaonic River in CT with a couple of other guys. never held a fly rod before, but I was determined to make my own for this trip! Chose an MHX 4 piece,9 ft, 5 wt. First multipiece build, heck first build with size A thread! Even added some trim wraps in Metallic gold, rod was looking pretty nice (not professional like you guys, but I thought it was ok for my personal rod). Thought the first coat of finish was ok, but I could do better. So I started up the dryer, mixed another batch and proceeded to hit the low spots with a second coat. Time for bed, boy was I tired, so I switched out the light at my workbench and went up to bed.

My rod dryer was plugged into a switched outlet. Did you get the part about putting out the light!?

Came down this morning before work and I had drips like you would not believe. Looked like roof icicles on a New England morning after an ice storm! So I cut off as much of the offending drip as I safely could and gave her another coat. So far, I'm amazed at how well the cut bruises vanished into the new coat. Lots of learning on this build, not the least of which is my respect for you guys that do this for a living and are kind enough to offer advice and post some pictures to 'show how it's done!' I am amazed at the quality of work I see in the pages of Rodbuilder and here on the site gallery, my hat is off!

So I'm off to get ready for bed, rod is on the dryer, will check on it in the morning.

Oh, and did I mention? I left the light on!

John

I love fishing, but to be honest this whole catching thing has me stumped!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2012 08:56PM by John Locke.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you know where your power comes from?!?
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 09:23PM

Been there, done that!
The difference was.....I was at wotk and installed a new data cable for a nerw work station at a US Bank.
Ran the cat-5 cable to the data switch & pluged'r in. Got a green light, all is good work station is up!
Cut off the light & shut the door to the server room. Get a call on my cell,,,,NETWORK DOWN!!!!!! Crap!
What is supposed to be dedicated power is actually switched. No lighting, NO POWER to network.

I know,,,not really related to rodbuilding but......had to fix up a sign so it wouldnt happen again untill they fixed
it.

Hurt just the same! LOL

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 10:15PM

My Flexcoat wall dryer is plugged into an APC 500VA battery backup. I don't like surprises.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 11, 2012 10:50PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Flexcoat wall dryer is plugged into an APC
> 500VA battery backup. I don't like surprises.

You & me both!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns7.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 12, 2012 02:13AM

Had a similiar incident last week.Put the second coat on my second rod and was downstairs after about two hours the power went off
in a huge storm.Was remarking how lucky we were to have gas heating as it was very cold.Half an hour later the light bulb in my brain
switched on no power for the rod dryer.Bolted up the stairs and spent the next two hours turning the rod by hand till power was restored.
Luckily no harm done but was close.

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Andrew Lang (208.60.60.---)
Date: June 12, 2012 01:03PM

Had a rod slip on the chuck while drying and when I went to check on it the finish had run pretty bad. However, it was still not solid, although it was the consistency of jam. I had some Isopropyl alcohol and since I had nothing to loose, I got the rod back turning, wet my finger with alcohol and started forming the lopsided blob back into a semi-smooth finish. It worked like a charm. The alcohol left a sligh haze on the top surface, but a little buffing and another thin top coat took care of that. Have used the rod for several years with no ill effects from my "de-blob" operation.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster