I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How did my guide move after I epoxied it?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 01:17PM

Wrap the guides. Spend 15 minutes making sure they are straight. Walk away, come back in teh morning, spend 15 more minutes straightening them out again. Apply 3 coats of finish, take the rod out and...HOW IS THERE A GUIDE OUT OF ALIGNMENT!!! Well, this just happened to me with 2 rods 5 guides on each one. The only good thing is I figured out how....

I wait to put finish on rods several at a time. After I finished wrapping/straightening the guides, I put them in a corner. Well apparantly I must have bumped kicked banged into teh rods several times, because thisis how the guides all got out of alignment. One of them the guides were out of alignment in both directions, lol. Just what I needed to do today, was to cut off and rewrap guideson rods which I put the final coat of epoxy on last night. Thumbs up!

new step to teh process...quareuple check teh guides right before putting epoxy on!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How did my guide move after I epoxied it?
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 01:20PM

Hi Billy,

I feel your pain!

I have not forgotten about the blanks. Between family and rod building I am too darn busy. Would be nice to go fishing, ha, ha!

Take care my friend!

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 07, 2012 02:22PM

Hello Billy

Every time right before putting them on the dryer(where I put the epoxy on) I check them.

Keep Em Straight!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 02:35PM

Whole new meaning to "snake guides" LOL

Date: June 07, 2012 02:39PM

It was a Spiral wrap without the piral.

Posted by: mike brune (---.fidnet.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 03:45PM

Hi Billy

I hate to rewrap guides I wrap a few and then either put on a coat of perma gloss or color lock. They always want to move if I try to wrap to many or come loose at the ends.

Mike
Mikes Custom Fly Rods

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 04:11PM

Cheating:

If not too far out, you can warm up the fresh epoxy, shift the guide with thumb, add another coat of epoxy and roll on like it never even happened :-)

I'm NOT suggesting this as a "standard" to do, but it can work.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 04:12PM by Duane Richards.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 04:22PM

Maybe hooks on the sealing to hang them Unless your head hits them - They should be good

Find a spot mark it - To Be Finished

Unlike a carpenter - Check three times then finish Thought I was the only dummy to put them in the corner
I can not put hooks in the living room ceiling

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 07, 2012 04:34PM

Hi Billy,
That is a real PITA. Happened to me once and I now do what Bob does, CHECK just before the epoxy goes on. I've got no idea how mine happened as after they got straightened I put a few coats of cp on and checked again. The rod never got bumped and the cp should hold them. Another lesson learnt the hard way.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 05:13PM

Thats a bummer! I had to reepoxy all the guides on one rod when someone went into my room and turn the light switch off accidently, and that was the switch that controled the rod lathe, talk about sagging epoxy! Lol! I guess checking twice maybe thrice is , is'nt a bad idea.U all have a good one!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 05:24PM

PUT A LOCK ON THE DOOR

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 07:41PM

...HOW IS THERE A GUIDE OUT OF ALIGNMENT!!! Well, this just happened to me with 2 rods 5 guides on each one. The only good thing is I figured out how....

Cheap wine!!

Drink it AFTER epoxy.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 08:04PM

I do have a lock on the door, it was just that one time I did'nt lock it, lesson learned!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 01:31AM

Put rods in the corner!
When you put rods in the corner the guides get knocked out of alignment.
When the guides get knocked you epoxy crooked guides.
When you epoxy crooked guides you post on FaceBook or RBO
When you post on FaceBook or RBO your not watching Direct TV.
When you don't watch Direct TV you build better rods cuz you work more at it.
Put rods in the corner and build BETTER rods!

LOL

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: June 08, 2012 07:10AM

Don't be a Billy Vivona

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 08, 2012 08:10AM

I would guess that nearly everyone who has built more than a few dozen rods has had a rod turn up with a finished guide that is out of alignment and has needed to be cut off and re wrapped.

To put it simply - stuff happens.

Also the case of where I had put out a bunch of rods in a given month, when I receive a call from an excellent client who stated that they had received their last excellent rod, with one of the guides not coated. It was taken care of, but as the saying goes - stuff happens.

I think that we all have stories of things that have happened for sometimes the most peculiar reasons.

All that I can suggest, as others have is to check, recheck, and then check again. Both before during and after wrapping, finishing and then shipping.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.siemens.com)
Date: June 08, 2012 09:40AM

May be the guides are being wrapped too loose. The wrapps should be snug enough that the guide takes a some effort to move when making the final alignment. Addition of color preserative usually adds more stiffiness to guide. Guides prepared this way should be able to withstand some minor abuse and stay in alignment, But as Bill stated, be like a carpenter and check three times before adding the finish.

Date: June 08, 2012 04:36PM

These were on Bushido & Hercules jigging rods, with Fuji K guides. I double wrapped the guides on the Hercules rod. I don't use CP on guide wraps. I guess I need to be more careful how I treat rods, lol.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 09, 2012 07:09AM

Nice to see that the master still has issues... LOL Billy:)

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 09, 2012 08:05AM

Hi Mick,
Everyone has issues occasionally. Those that say they don't are usually telling fibs.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster