I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Look at the clock...WHOA!!! I just spent how much time?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 08:47AM

I just spend a full hour & 20 minutes sanding a cork grip. Spin rod, split grip with grips lengths 3", 2", and 2". I used a Matagi Vintage Red NPS 20 & a KDPS 20 locking foregrip. I cut the NPS seat as short as I can, I hate teh thin part of the seat. This makes the seat a weird oval-rectangular shape, and it's off centered - so much so that I could not use a 1 1/4" OD ring I had to use a 1 3/8", and sand it entirely by hand. I had to be extra careful not to scratch the seat, and since it was my rod the seam between grip & seat HAD TO be perfectly seamless. I didn't realize how little material gets removed with 600 grit paper until now, lol.

Anyone else get lost in their work? Honestly, I like when this happens because I'm so focused and deep in thought nothing else matters.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Look at the clock...WHOA!!! I just spent how much time?
Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: June 07, 2012 08:58AM

Getting lost in a process is one of the best parts of rodbuilding for me.
Day job problems just vanish.
Tonight im making an imitation Turquoise winding check from acrylic to go with a native American themed black /silver /turquoise with featherwork 5 weight pac bay fly rod.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 07, 2012 09:03AM

Hello Billy

Yea I know it hapens to me all the time!
Where did you get the KDPS 20's? Mudhole only has 16's and I don't like 16's even though I have kinda short(but wide) hands.
Have you figured which hotel you are going to hang in in 2013?
I'm thinking I might go with the Embassy Suites.

See you later.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 10:10AM

Sometimes I just sit and think about it for that long. ;)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 10:30AM

My workshop is in the basement (no windows) so I have no idea what time it is - no clock on the wall (bad for Feng Shui I'm told). Yesterday I spent 11 hours wrapping guides; the day before 8 hours turning down grips and the day before that almost 6 hours gluing up handles. Today looks like another significant chunk of time doing repairs that have been sort of backing up. Tomorrow I'll be starting another set of 8 trolling rods & 4 spinners.

Too easy to get 'wrapped up & stuck into work" LOL

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: June 07, 2012 10:59AM

I do my wrapping after work and it seems that almost everynight I hear the evening news (11 o' clock edition) come on and I know it is time for bed... Amazing how fast 5 - 6 hours can pass!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 11:46AM

No clock in my rod room either. Time always FLYS when you're doing something you enjoy, kinda like FISHING :-)

DR

Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 12:03PM

I LOVE it when that happens...... (means the baby is not crying......LOL)

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 12:58PM

My wife put a clock in my man cave/rod room. Guess I was down there way to much.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: June 07, 2012 01:12PM

Bob - I have been using hte KDPS size 20 for 6 or 7 years. In adition to the TLDBSG guides which finally hit the US market this year, and the Fuji Rubber gimbal which I've had since September. In additon to enjoying how long it takes to sand a grip, I love getting components nobodyelse has, and selling them to nobody because nobody knows tha tI have them, lmao - then 5 years later they hit hte USmarket and everyone acts like they are new.

PS - Custom Tackle Supply had the KDPS 20's for years before I had them. Bob McKamey was all over those form Day 1.

Date: June 07, 2012 02:11PM

Hello Billy

Bob is elsewhere and the Custom Tackle Supply link is not available to me because something is wrong with it (virus?) acording to my uncle sam computer and it won't let me view it.
Do you carry the KDPS 20's in stock? (they are not on your web site that I can find).

I take it from your silence that you have not made-up your mind about where you plan too hang out at next years ICRBE?!?

Thanks for the info!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: June 07, 2012 02:37PM

Bob & CTSupply were absorbed into Mudhole, that link hasn't worked for years. I'll go look and see what color KDPS's I have and how much they are.

Date: June 07, 2012 02:48PM

Thanks Billy!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Ed Hermoyian (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 04:29PM

When I can't get out to fish and when I get home at night, there is no better place than the man cave workshop!

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 07, 2012 06:02PM

Hi Billy,
Time flies when your having fun and man caves are a great invention.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 06:08PM

Hope you guys are not married -- the wife ain't going to like that Doooo

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Martines (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 07:34PM

Lost time.. Pretty much every night! Building handles one night and wrapping guide the next rod after rod after rod. Next thing it's 11:30 and I have 5 hours till I need to wake up for another go!! I learned to take breaks for a 1/2 hour or so just so I don't lose my mind!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 07:53PM

John

WHAT JOB ARE YOU MAKING THE BEST MONEY AT

If you want to have a hart attack - that is up to you ?????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.109.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 08:21PM

Just finished my latest weave this evening, pulling tight each thread of this two layer one, closing the gaps, trimming the ends, flaring them out, tidying up a little. looked at my watch and couldn't believe where the time had gone. I'm off to bed now, (nearly 1.30 am) and i know i'll have this thought running round in my head as to what colour threads i should use for the trim bands....... just can't switch off! ha ha!

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Date: June 07, 2012 08:57PM

Steve, good stuff!! lol. John you too, I know that routine. I re3fuse to go into teh shop on the weekend, and after 5 unless I want to. I make a point to be down there no later than 9 every day - it takes a lot of discipline to work form home! I'm happy with how the grip came out, I can't wait to wrap the guids, make sure they are straight 3 times, and then epoxy it, lol.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster