I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly blank in spinning rod
Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: June 07, 2012 05:23AM

Seeing as there are almost no multipiece blanks (other than fly) available in lengths 8' + I was thinking of getting a Batson RX8+9010-4 fly blank and building it as a spinning rod. What sort of power do you people think it might have? Would it be in the 15-17lb range or less thank that? Also am I guessing right that max. casting weight would be approx. 1 oz.?

I was comparing its specs to the Batson RX8 S&S blanks and while tip size is roughly similar, the butt OD is about 10% less. I need fast action in my rod. Do you think the RX8+ fly blank can handle it, or would it be rather mod-fast in a spinning set-up?

Cheers,
Michal

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly blank in spinning rod
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 08:19AM

as a general rule take the weight designation and put it over 16 to get the lure weight. so a 4wt would be 1/4oz. this is general as each fly blank is different and the weight designations by each company are subjective. this will give you a place to start. i can say that fly blanks made into spinning rods are a blast to fish

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 09:34AM

All the long blanks you want in two-piece designs. For example, a Rainshadow XST1085F is a 9'0", 10-17#, fast action, two-piece blank. LOTS of choices ... different materials, price levels, manufacturers, etc. Just look under Salmon/Steelhead, you will find blanks up to 12-13' in length.

Date: June 07, 2012 09:56AM

2-piece are not sufficiently multipiece as far as I am concerned. I have had and have a number of different S&S rods, all of them 2-piece. Now I need a truly MULTIpiece job and four pieces are the minimum.
Now, "fly blanks made into spinning rods are a blast to fish" ... would you care to elaborate pls? Because ... what makes them so cool? I have never had a spinning rod built on a fly blank yet, hence all these Qs.

Thanks for all the replies so far :-)
Michal

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 11:10AM

Talk to Angler's Workshop about their 8 1/2 ft 4 piece 8 to 20 lb rod blank or their 3 piece 9 ft heavy salmon blank both in IM6 graphite. A 12 wt fly blank is in the 8 to 12 lb steelhead rod range. I find fly rod blanks to cast overhand in a bit more lob fashion that my salmon/steelhead rods.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 11:31AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 11:41AM

Even the fastest fly blank will be moderate as a spinning rod. Fly rods are slower by nature ... considerably. When you see a blank (any type) listed as extra fast, mod-fast, etc. that is within its OWN peer group - not compared to those outside of it. That logic even applies by manufacturer and modulus as well. A fast action RX8 popping blank is faster than the same blank in RX7 material. St Croix's version of "fast" doesn't necessarily align itself with that of Lamiglas, etc. Much of our craft is subjective. Put the "Common Cents" system to work and you will have something objective. Unfortunately, that would require you to have almost every blank in hand - since most manufacturers steer clear of using it.

I have built fly blanks into open water spinning rods for use on the flats. They are fun, but to a degree. Think slow and wiggly. Lots of fun for fighting fish in the winter months, but not something you can jig with or toss much weight.

Date: June 07, 2012 01:16PM

Slow and wiggly is certainly not what I want. Thanks for that info. Actually I was thinking some time ago about a 4-piece VI+ Talon blank (the specs are strangely similar to the Angler's Workshop blank ;-)), but judging by the description I was given, it is not what I am looking for. Will keep looking.
Thanks guys!
Michal

Posted by: Russell Brunt (165.214.14.---)
Date: June 07, 2012 02:45PM

FWIW Michal......A bit ago I bought a few fly rod blanks from Utmost. They have older closeouts at great prices. The list some as "RX8" but in reality they are "RXF". I had previously bought a 12 weight in this series from Utmost. It was nice and had a gloss blank finish. The ones I just got were matte. They are a very different beast. While very good quality I suspect they may be too fast and too stiff for a fly rod. I got a 9 weight that I wouldn't hesitate to use for 15-17# class work. Honestly it feels a lot like an old Loomis....very small in diameter but surprise you with what it weighs and its power.

I did not CCS the 9 weight but I did CCS a 6 weight. It came out at DBI=8.63/72. IMHO the 9 weight would test even higher above it rating. Despite the 12 weight having twice the butt diameter at first feel you might think the 9 weight weighed more and had more power. It doesn't but it is very close.

Anyhow, considering the price you can get them for it is worth a chance. I'm strongly considering building mine as a spinning or casting rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: June 07, 2012 04:52PM

Michal,

I have stuck a small spinning reel on a 6 wt. 9 foot fly rod and lanched 1/4 oz Cast Master and Mepps type lures. It actually works quite well for those light lures; the distance is excellent because of the lenght and the moderate action is good for treble type lures-like a Crank Bait rod. I used this technique quite a bit when fishing these lures for stocked Trout in lakes-it casted these lite lures further that my spinning rod and the hook-up rate was better. The idea has some merit, it will just be limited to what it will work well for. Example; you could probably throw just a worm and hook, but it won't have the backbone to set the hook like you would want.

I don't believe you'll get to a 1 oz lure weight even with the 10 wt, or a 12 wt blank, but you'll have to see when it is built; realisticaly 1/2 oz and 3/4 oz max. It will have a place in you arsenal and you'll enjoy it for some types of fishing. It will be super moderate-there will not be anything fast about it. It would also work good for throwing live baits that likes to sling off the hook when casted. I could see one used as a Crappie rod from shore-you could get more distance without throwin that little minnow off.

Chuck

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 05:32PM

What if you get a two piece and make it a four piece

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 05:43PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> FWIW Michal......A bit ago I bought a few fly rod
> blanks from Utmost. They have older closeouts at
> great prices. The list some as "RX8" but in
> reality they are "RXF". I had previously bought a
> 12 weight in this series from Utmost. It was nice
> and had a gloss blank finish. The ones I just got
> were matte. They are a very different beast.
> While very good quality I suspect they may be too
> fast and too stiff for a fly rod. I got a 9
> weight that I wouldn't hesitate to use for 15-17#
> class work.

Glad you posted this Russ. I, too, bought the Utmost closeout 9wt and 10wt(listed as RX8). Both are extremely stiff for the listed weight, The 9 feels like a 10 and the 10 feels like I could catch Marlin with it. I built the 9 into a flyrod for the chuck and duck style Kenai fishing where you use a 1/2-3/4 oz weight but are not exactly casting. I was considering making the 10 wt into a spinning rod for #4 Vibrax spinners as I hate carrying 2 piece rods onto airplanes. It would replace a 2 piece 10-17 pound rated salmon rod. Think that would work?

Thanks

Drew

Date: June 07, 2012 06:03PM

Music to my ears, mate :-)
I was actually thinking of another source, yet actually offering the discontinued RX8+ blanks. And yes, the price is quite "pleasing to my wallet" too ;-)))
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 07:35PM

Well gents.....it all depends on what you want it to do. No those older fly rod blanks aren't an inshore st. croix. On the other hand I think they could be a poor mans hot shot blank. And FWIW I have caught tuna, amberjack, snapper, dolphin, squid (all on the same day even) on a hot shot blank in my waters.

What do you think Drew? One ounce might be pushing it but I think your ten weight would do it assuming it is like my 6 and 9 weights. BTW, the same series in gloss black is much more like a normal fly rod.

Michal, Utmost has been good to me and has made it clear they don't want us to speculate of these blanks. I guess I'm about to blow that trust.....so search on RXF Xcel series by united composites.....then keep in mind my experience shows a marked difference between the clear gloss black and the matte series which would account for the differing info you uncover......then make up your own mind.

IMHO, considering your options and costs, I'd tell you to try one of the matte ones in as heavy a weight as you can find. Heck if you were close enough I'd gladly let you try mine.

Don't know about marlin but I wouldn't be afriad of a sailfish with my 9 weight. On the other hand, a big snook in the mangroves would probably result in a broken blank:)

So, all depends on what you are catching where. I suspect you are fine Drew. I'm suspecting Michal is "down under" and they have some tough reef fish there that will rock you up in a hurry. Catch a kingfish in open waters and I think your okay. Let him reach the rocks and I think you could be in trouble. On second thought you would already be in trouble no matter the blank with 8 kg line.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 09, 2012 04:11AM

Actually I am more like "up above" and across the pond. Warsaw, Poland, Europe. The blank would be used for occasional soft bait jigging and casting minnows in a big river for fish like zander (European walleye), pike, asp (a toothless predator, related to the carp and quite hard running) - all within the 2-10lb range usually. I do think I will give the RX8+ blank a go. If only just for the kicks of building it :-)
Cheers guys and tight lines!
Michal

Date: June 09, 2012 04:11AM

skip this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 05:44AM by Michal Rozycki.

Date: June 09, 2012 04:13AM

Two too many, sorry

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2012 05:42AM by Michal Rozycki.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: June 09, 2012 06:02PM

Michal,

I was building many spinning rods using fly blanks(9',10',w4,w5,w10) special for fishing with jigs.I am from Europe to and i like to fish with long rods(over10')from the bank.
I was using use fly blanks(ALL STAR AUSTIN,ST.CROIX,CTS etc.).I was changing some fly rods in spinning(SAGE DS2 9'W10,SAGE RTL 9'W12,,G.LOOMIS IMX 10'W10,G.LOOMIS IMX 9'W12/13.G.LOOMIS GL3 9'W10).
Most of the time i am fishing with jigs in salt water at ROLLOVER PASS ,BOLIVAR PENINSULA ,TEXAS,one artifical channel and here because of de the tides the water running very fast like river in Europe.
I can tell you with rods built by me on fly blanks w10 i can cast easy 1oz.(28.3g.).Because i like long rods ,over 10'(3m.)i use some extension on the fly blanks.
With these rods i was catching many nice fish(speckled trout,red fish,black drum,founders the bigest one red fish fishing with FIRELINE ORIGINAL SMOKE 4LB.(1,kg.).

Regards,

Jean

Posted by: Tony Scott (198.228.228.---)
Date: April 09, 2013 08:08AM

Jean-

Years ago, Andy Dear told you I had some All Star blanks and we discussed possible trading of blanks. I revisited my inventory and may have something for you. Your email address is hidden, but please contact me if you are interested.

Tony
tcscott@earthlink.net

Posted by: Mark Seffels (---.nc.rr.com)
Date: May 14, 2019 02:30PM

Seriously considering purchasing an NOS 8' - 6/7 weight fly rod blank. I want to take 6" off the tip and 6" off the but and make an inshore saltwater spinning rod. I'm definitely a live bait guy and look to be able to cast around a 3/4 ounce weight. Thoughts, opinions, help. Any and all of that would be much appreciated.
Mark from NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster