I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide spacings and sizings
Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns7.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 07, 2012 06:23AM

I was lucky enough to meet up with another member Col Chaseling (extremely nice gentleman by the way) yesterday and learnt quite a bit.
I thought i would just copy guide spacings from similiar rods but i found out there is a lot more to it than that.So after he told me about the 27x
method for finding the choker guide and the static test it was time to do a search and look in the library.

So i just want to run this as i understand things and see if it makes sense to other people.After i have fixed the reel seat into place and glued the
tip top in place i then measure the dia of the reel spool i am to use on the rod and multiply it by 27.This number is then used as a measurement
from the top of spindle of the reel to find the choker guide position.Then i lay the rod on a table forming a straight line from the spindle to the top of the choker
guide.I then use this line to space the stripper guide and others up to the choker guide so the top of the guides touches the line.Then space the rest of the
guides after the choker roughly 4 inches apart up to the tip top.Then using the static test fiddle around a bit to make sure the guides are distributing
the line evenly and following the curve in the blank as evenly as possible.

Hope i havent confused myself just read a lot of old posts today and was trying to digest it all and apply the KISS formula.Also when doing the measurement
from the tip of the spindle does it matter if the spindle is at the bottom or top of its rotation as it could extend the position by over an inch.Look forward to hearing
if i have gotten on the right track or taken a detour.

cheers....Ray

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide spacings and sizings
Posted by: carol staiculescu (109.99.52.---)
Date: June 07, 2012 06:53AM

It’s fun to calculate it but you can also measure it
[rodbuilding.org]

kingofbeasts custom rods

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2012 07:46AM

Ray,

You have it exactly right. Do keep in mind that the spacing of the running guides does not have to be 4 inches per - this will vary based on the particular rod size and type (per the article) and you could use progressive spacing on those guides if you want.

Posted by: Jeremy Johnson (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 07, 2012 12:25PM

Does anyone have feelings on whether the spindle should be all the way in or out of its extension? I usually measure with mine in the middle of its range, but often wonder how others do it myself.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 07, 2012 01:16PM

It has to be a compromise so setting it in the middle appears to be the best compromise.

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns7.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 07, 2012 06:40PM

Thankyou all that have replied so far.Without rereading what i had digested i thought i would write it down as remembered it.
Sounds like i didnt do to bad.Yes Tom i was only going to use 4 inches as a guide and do progressive spacing if that suits it
better.And will also have the spindle in the middle position seems reasonable to me.Also is the 27x measurement for the base
of the choker guide.

Two further questions i think i read some where that the stripper guide size should be half of the spools diameter is this a good
place to start.And if i put a right angled set square on the blank and measured up to the line from the spindle to the choker guide
would i need to find a measurement that is equal to the height of the guide i intend to use and then i have that guides location.
I hope that makes sense and doesnt sound to complicated.

cheer....Ray

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: June 07, 2012 07:33PM

Hi Ray,
I usually use the choke point at the top of the guide so it matches up with the reduction train, just use your 27x measurement put it there. Half the spool diameter is a good place to start but with the high framed guides your using you can go a couple of sizes smaller and save a bit of weigh and it will get the line straigthed out a bit quicker

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster