I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning reel for new build
Posted by: Herb Knowlton (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 18, 2012 04:40PM

I am building a couple Mudhole MHX 7'6" spinning rods to be used for trout, reds, etc in the Fl intercoastal waters----Mosquito Lagoon, Indian River, etc.

I am looking at Shimano Symetre as I want to keep the cost around $100. I want to be sure I get a reel appropriate for the saltwater. There are so many choices the more I look the more confused i get! Looking at the sy2500, sy3000, and sy4000.

I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. The reason I am looking at Shimano is that is the brand I used with a guide during the winter.

Herb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning reel for new build
Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: May 18, 2012 05:36PM

they are a a good reels, there are different sizes as well as cost, the more you spend on the reel [better quality ] the longer it will last, better drags, metal spools, better handles, more bearnigs, the pick up bail has a roller instead of a bar for the line to go over, it all counts up an itis not free,
Bill

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 18, 2012 05:45PM

The Symetre 3000FJ will do just fine.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 18, 2012 06:04PM

Slightly over your price but I suggest the shimano saros. The 3000F will do. Load one spool with mono and one with braid and you can cover a lot of bases.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: keith corwin (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: May 19, 2012 08:05AM

Penn Battle, the 2000 has 6 lbs. of drag, not sure what the 3000 and 4000 have. these are made for the salt.

Posted by: Mark Gwynne (149.135.145.---)
Date: May 19, 2012 08:15AM

The symetre is a beautiful little reel performance wise but you'll need to take care of it in the salt. Mine did not last as long as I would like nor the other friends who had them. I used it in an open boat at sea though chasing tuna. Don't let that put you off though but something to keep in mind. I have some Penn Conquers now and they are better corrosion wise by a fair margin and perform pretty good.

Posted by: Craig Mullins (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: May 20, 2012 12:42PM

You should check out the Quantum Cabo 30 or 40. The full model is CSP40PTSC. You can get one for about $140 and they are bullet proof. I would say they perform on the level of a much more expensive reel, and are made for the salt.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2012 07:38PM

[www.basspro.com]

Excellent value in salt water reel.
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster