I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Brush cleaner
Posted by: Neil Sanft (---.radianmi.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 03:33PM

I'm fairly new to rod building - been building for about 8 months now and tired of buying cheap throw away brushes when applying rod finish. I know there is a product out there U40 brush cleaner which works pretty well. Can someone please comment on how they clean there brushes after using them? Do you soak them in acetone or maybe denatured alcohol, thinking more along the lines of acetone though or is U40 the only way to go?

Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Brush cleaner
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 04:07PM

I have used both the U-40 and Flex Coat brands of brush cleaner, both are good products. I use a fairly good quality artist brush found in the craft stores, after applying the finish I wipe any excess off the brush with a paper towel, dip in either of the two brands, wipe dry and then do a final clean with ISO Alcohol. May be a bit much, but I have never had a problem reusing the brushes and they last a very long time.

Posted by: David Gilberg (---.pghkny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 04:33PM

I use the U-40 brush Cleaner with great results.
My technique is a bit different:

Pour a small amount of Brush Cleaner in a tiny dish and swirl the brush.
Wipe dry with a piece of paper towel.
Wet another piece of paper towel with fresh cleaner and gently squeeze the brush clean in.

I drilled a hole in the brush cleaner bottle cap just large enough for the brush handle to fit snugly.
I insert the brush through the hole just far enough to immerse the brush hairs into the cleaning solution.
There it sits until needed again.

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 04:40PM

Similar process wipe off excess pour enough brush cleaner into an old rx container to cover brush. Leave it until needed. Wipe off cleaner and go. Good brushes or throw away works good. brush cleaner doesn't evaporate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 04:41PM by Bill Ballou.

Posted by: Neil Sanft (---.radianmi.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 04:44PM

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 04:54PM

My process same as Dave Gilberg

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:12PM

Keeping the brush submerged works well, but a word of caution. Sand or scrape all the paint off of the brush handle. The vapors will melt the paint and stain your cleaning fluid. Learned the hard way.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:16PM

I use the U-40 stuff now. Just keep some in a glass cup and leave the brush in it. When ready to use, I take it out, wipe it off and go to work.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:17PM

I fill a small mayonnaise jar with lacquer thinner
When done finishing whip with a paper towel then stick in the jar
press onto the bottom several times let sit

Every once in a while clean out the jar

If you let it sit overnight -- in the garbage

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2012 05:23PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 06:41AM

I have all that stuff too, but never remember to put the brush in it to clean it. I pry the brush off the table, throw it away and grab a new one each time.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 08:57AM

Well they are cheap

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 29, 2012 05:57PM

The amount I pay for brushs I cant afford to throw them away anymore. Try a good brush and you will change from those cheap throw aways. It does depend also on how many times your finishing. If I only did a couple of rods a week I wouldn't bother. Im mixing a couple of batchs a day between repairs and builds. I love a good brush. I concur though with what Jim said found that out the hard way also. If your gonna leave it in the cleaner get that paint off the handle it will melt over time and ruin a bottle of cleaner.

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 29, 2012 08:36PM

If you leave the brush in the cleaner until next use, won't the cleaner contaminate the epoxy on the next use???? Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster