I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

alabama rod
Posted by: david jones (---.sub-174-252-155.myvzw.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 12:01PM

i was thinking about building one of those rods and was wanting to know what blanks everybody is using, i normally build on the mhx blanks, i seen at the show some was using a seeker blank but i couldnt remember the model number.so let me get your input

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: alabama rod
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 12:13PM

Call Swampland ... they have just the ticket.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 02:52PM

Here you go David.

[swamplandtackle.com]

Lance

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 03:35PM

A little more information:

This blank is currently being used to build "rig" rods from 7' 3" to the full length of 8 feet.

Demonstration at the High Point Launch Complex showed the wide range of weights that could be thrown long distances.

This blank will throw from 3/4 ounce to eight ounces with very little effort.

For set up instructions, including a list of all required components, for each length use the Contact Us Link at Swampland Tackle.

Many of these rods are in the hands of tournament anglers!

[rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 03:38PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: March 25, 2012 04:11PM

David, There are countless saltwater rod blanks that will do the same job. The same saltwater blank that will cast a couple to six ounces or so will work fine as an Alabama rig rod. Just select the length you need. The selection is almost endless.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 06:58PM

David, it is not necessary to spend the funds and the time to search through the haystack!

Swampland was fortunate to be involved in the development of the "needle" used by some of the best bass fishermen in the business who fish "Alabama Rig" style lures..

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.vectro.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 09:33PM

David, What I was trying to do was save you some money. Maybe big bucks. These rods are not new. Been around for years and years. I'm sure the ones that say "Alabama Rig Rod" are good, but may cost you more money and they are not really new at all. A rose by any other name...........

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 09:43PM

Posted by: Brett Hinson (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2012 10:31AM

What size guides and spacing do you use on your A Rig Rod Steve?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 12:11PM

Ken Finch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> David, What I was trying to do was save you some
> money. Maybe big bucks. These rods are not new.
> Been around for years and years. I'm sure the ones
> that say "Alabama Rig Rod" are good, but may cost
> you more money and they are not really new at all.
> A rose by any other name...........

IMO, you aren't going to "save him money" ... quite probably your advice would cost him money. While there are saltwater classed blanks that may very well serve the purpose, it won't be a very high percentage. Which blanks are too slow, too fast, too light in the tip, too heavy in the butt, etc.?

Read Brett's post above ... it becomes more complex than a choice of blank. You may still need help with an appropriate seat, grips, guides, top, spacing, etc.

What our best sponsors sell is EXPERTISE. Products themselves are a by-product of the true "sale".

While it is everyone's personal decision whether to accept this advice, I can assure you that I have NO vested interest in Swampland OR any other sponsor. I just happen to know that you "get what you pay for" in this world and that Swampland offers a VERY fair arrangement for all involved, therefore I have no problem recommending them or the solutions that they are providing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2012 12:12PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 01:12PM

he will save money cause he will get every thing needed to build it
One Stop Shopping

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 02:26PM

I have just finished building on the T-1 blank from Swampland.. I have my A-rig all set up and I am going to try it out tomorrow if all goes well. I think it is going to be an excellent rod.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.qni.biz)
Date: March 26, 2012 03:56PM

I'm finishing up an A-rig rod on an MHX SWB967. Test casting was very encouraging. The blank handled various weights from 1 3/4 up to 4oz with no problem. I have no doubt it could handle even more weight but I didn't see the point for this particular user.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 27, 2012 06:38PM

Rainshadow SW967 [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Rainshadow ISWB945 [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Rainshadow XMB944.5 [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Rainshadow IFS906 [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 28, 2012 08:34AM

Since a rod throws weight I would suggest finding out how much the Rig weighs Then you can find a blank that will handle that weight

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2012 05:48PM

Brett;
on the ISWB946

I use 8mm double 5mm single- 4mm single- 3mm single's to the tip. All ALPS guides
Spacing has varied depending on the blank and model, but this will get you close
Spacing:
tip-7cm-7.5cm-7.5cm-8cm-10cm-11cm-12cm-13cm-15.5cm-18cm-19.5cm-23cm

on the ISWB945
Started with a 6mm double ft instead of the 8mm then all the others are the same
Spacing:
tip-7cm-7cm-7.5cm-8.5cm-9.5cm-10.5cm-12cm-13.5cm-15.25cm-18cm-19.5cm-23.5cm

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster