I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1/4 pint paint can
Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 11:51AM

Do any of our sponsors carry the small 1/4 pint paint cans for PG or Lumiseal? They are available online but you have to purchase by the case. I have searched locally at hobby and craft stores with no luck.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1/4 pint paint can
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 25, 2012 12:09PM

Mickel's Custom Rods. If he still has any. I know he had some at the Expo.

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.dhcp.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: March 25, 2012 03:54PM

Thanks Tom, someone had mentioned that here prior to the Expo and that got me thinking. I was hoping that a retail sponsor had them so I didn't have to pay $10 S&H for one $3 item. Thinking, again (dangerous) was it mentioned that he had foam cores too at the Expo? That would be enough to combine S&H. I'll send him an email.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 06:20PM

You really do not need that can for the stuff

I keep mine in the fridge and it will last a Long Long Time

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 06:42PM

Mike: Try a local auto paint supply store.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 06:47PM

I just put the metal top from a Testors paint bottle on my PG bottle. First I drilled a small hole and put in a wood screw.

Guess what you're not seeing with a paint can? When I remove the screw to let PG out...air bubbles go in. It's physics.

Edit - forgot to mention that I am going two years on this bottle and it's still as thin as new.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2012 06:48PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 08:09PM

Mike,
If you can't find an empty 4oz paint can, you can certainly buy a 4oz can of "something in the paint dept", clean the can, and be in business for about $5.

Clyde

Date: March 25, 2012 09:03PM

If you do this properly, a vacuum will build inside the paint can. PG will stay liquid for years in one.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 25, 2012 11:27PM

Tom - if there is a vacuum in the can, why would PG drip out? Am I missing something?

Seems like a PG glass bottle with the metal cap is the same environment. I was a little worried when I saw bubbles the first time, but it's been good for years.

Date: March 26, 2012 08:01AM

As the vacuum increases, it's harder to get the PG out, but it takes a while for that to happen.

Posted by: Steve Patrizi (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2012 06:05PM

I would like to know how you guys keep PG for years, I had an unopened bottle with safty seal still on it, it was haed as a rock, I bought it at the EXPO last year

Date: March 26, 2012 06:55PM

RodMaker Volume 15 #1 has the details, or you can just do a search on this forum. It's been covered here many times (without the photos).

Others keep it in the fridge, etc. Anything to keep moist air away from it.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: March 27, 2012 03:04AM

Another vote for keeping it in the fridge. My bottle is ~18months old and still nice an thin. I did put a Testor's cap on rather then the original.

Walt Natzke
Ripon, CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster