I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Increasing a blanks lure range/power?
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: March 14, 2012 03:51PM

Can the upper limit of a lure range on a rod be increased? For instance, if a rod has a lure range of 1/16 oz. to 5/16 oz., is there something I can do to increase the 5/16 to, say 3/8 or 1/2 without affecting the low end of 1/16 or the action? What about an aluminum oversleeve, well secured, and hidden under the rear grip and seat? Would that beef it up just a tad or too much or not at all? I've found the blank I'm looking for as far as the ideal lure range, action, and length but I want to be confident that the rod could handle a little more weight and hall a fish out of dense cover like tree tops.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Increasing a blanks lure range/power?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2012 04:19PM

No, not easily. You can trim a bit off the tip, but it will reduce the lower end of the casting weight range. Most of the casting power is in the upper portion of the rod, so an aluminum sleeve down low isn't going to do what you want, not to mention it will introduce a host of other variables which you aren't likely to want.

Casting requires that you use some means of power adjustment - you wouldn't want to power the rod through a cast with 5/16th ounce as you could do with 1/16 ounce. If you wanted to push the upper limit of the casting weight range, you can do so, provided you exercise some common sense and ease up on the power a bit.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2012 05:37PM

If all your talking about 1/16th of an ounce forget it...There's probably that much variation between any half dozen "5/16" baits.

If what you really need is a rod that will throw baits from 1/16 to 3/8th there are blank out there that are rated for that range.

As far as pulling power is concerned, I recently built a MHX spin-jig rod rated from 1/32 to 1/4.
It was used it to land a 4 pound bass that had to be hauled up a steep 25 foot bank.
I have put together a heavier 3/16 to 5/8 rod for my buddy's wife to use for Northern Pike.
These spin-jig blanks seem to feature a heavy butt section and that's what I think you need for pulling power.
Garry2R's

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.83.18.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 14, 2012 06:59PM

Garry Thornton Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If all your talking about 1/16th of an ounce
> forget it...There's probably that much variation
> between any half dozen "5/16" baits.
>
> If what you really need is a rod that will throw
> baits from 1/16 to 3/8th there are blank out there
> that are rated for that range.
>
> As far as pulling power is concerned, I recently
> built a MHX spin-jig rod rated from 1/32 to 1/4.
>
> It was used it to land a 4 pound bass that had to
> be hauled up a steep 25 foot bank.
> I have put together a heavier 3/16 to 5/8 rod for
> my buddy's wife to use for Northern Pike.
> These spin-jig blanks seem to feature a heavy butt
> section and that's what I think you need for
> pulling power.
> Garry2R's

Since Garry brought up the MHX blanks, a quick search shows the SJ841 as having a lure range of 1/16-3/8 ounces. I'm not sure what length you're looking for, but that particular blank works well throughout it's suggested range.
I've never had to wrestle speckled trout or redfish out of a tree but I have had to wrestle them around oyster bars & rocks the size of VW Buses and it's never let me down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster