I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

topwater distance spinner
Posted by: jane palmer (---.36.131.174.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 11, 2012 09:00PM

i know the members of this forum have decades of expreience in the art of rod building,years of trial and error,so i humbly ask for some advice on building the longest distance casting spinning rod possiable. for topwater plugs in 1/2-5/8 oz. range. in particular,blank selection,guide choice and placement. inshore trout and reds. the reel will be shimano in the 3000 class,with 10 lb. power pro braid.also the rod legenth, which is bettr 7' 7-6' 8'? thank you all in advance for your recomendations.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: topwater distance spinner
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 11, 2012 09:35PM

If you want to cast longer then you need a longer rod. Nobody surf casts with a 5 footer:)

In general, treble hook lures call for a slower action rod. But when casting long distances the line and reaction time will negate some of that need.

So I'm going to suggest something that was recommended to me that is "out of the box" for you to consider. A HS1023F, an 8'6" hot shot blank. These are ultra-fast blanks with a soft tip but a strong butt section. They are made for catching steelhead and come in a variety of powers (the 1023 is a "3" power' and perhaps too strong for you' but will throw those weights (and a bit more) well and will handle a bull red). I wouldn't pick them in you have a lot of structure though as they are best used in "open water". You will have to learn to crank through strikes, and not over react, but otherwise it sounds tailor made. They are really great at launching moderate sized offerings long distances. I love mine and have been using a lighter power one a lot to toss ultra-light crankbaits so I know it can work with proper restraint.

Also, do some testing and find actual line breaking strength. I found some 5# braid that tested just over 15# and was able to get 300 yards on a stradic 2500. Look up the 27X method. It is fast and easy and works well. I used fuji alconites on mine and the choker/running guides are blag 6's. I have blag 4's on the lighter power one.

Only downside is the hot shot blanks are pricey. For that reason you might care to look at a popping blank or a mag bass blank. Hard to get them in longer lengths though. Only you can decide just how important another few yards will be. But if it is hot shot blanks are casting champs. Oh, and when looking at them listed weights are typically trolling, not casting, weights so pay no mind to the 1/2-4 ounce rating.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (24.26.8.---)
Date: March 11, 2012 10:39PM

HS9000 ... my favorite open water inshore blank.

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 08:57AM

For maximum distance a more moderate blank is better, I would look at an 8 foot popping blank. For what you are trying to do you may be a good candidate for the MicroWave guide system.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 09:47AM

I have built the HS9000 and it was my favorite for this. Has the backbone to stop slot reds and even a few over it.
Recently i built 2 of the RF Seeker 765 that comes in at 7ft 8 when built and used a microwave plus Minima 4 guide train. Heavier rod for sure than the HS but out casts it but most importantly holds the hookset more often. Maybe because its a slower blank? Both would serve you well.

Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 09:56AM

Kind of apples to oranges comparing an S-glass to a graphite rod, that Seeker RF765 actually has a pretty fast action, much faster than most 8 foot popping or crankbait blanks.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: March 12, 2012 10:24AM

Mike, yes it is apples and oranges, the RF765 does have a fast action but that soft tip allows for nice hooksets at distance with trebles and it casts nicely with that microwave setup. Just something he might want to think about. Build weight more important? I would go HS9000 or even a 9600. I have built both with microwaves and would be hard pressed to make the call if i could only own one of them, which it would be.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (---.neoplus.adsl.tpnet.pl)
Date: March 13, 2012 05:25PM

My general recommendation would be:
a 9'6" or 10' steelhead blank. 12lb up to 3/4 CW, fast action. The higher the modulus, the better (as a general rule with some exceptions). I would try first of all St.Croix Legend Elite 9'6" or Batson XST1143F with a somewhat lower price tag. Set 'em up for a fixed spool reel and you're game :-)
Cheers,
Michal

Composite Developments of New Zealand make fabulous blanks, which are well known (in Poland at least) for their long distance capabilities. Blue Rapid series especially.

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 08:56PM

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but wher would I find the HS1023 blank. Who makes theHS blanks?

Posted by: Harry Bell (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 13, 2012 09:14PM

Sorry. That was dumb. Found . A MHX series. I musy need a nap

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 13, 2012 10:37PM

If it was the one from my post it is a Baston/Rainshadow. It is listed on their website under steelhead RX7 plug rods. I'll include a link that hopefully will work. They are down near the bottom of the page.

[www.batsonenterprises.com]

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster