I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Light Beach Rod - MHX Blank?
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 28, 2012 07:20AM

Hi All,

I have been asked to build a light beach rod for our Australian surf species such as Tailor (Bluefish), Australian Salmon, and with the occassional smaller species of Flathead, Bream and Whiting.

The client needs to cast baits and lures from 20 grams (0.7 ounce) to 60 grams (2.1 ounces).

I am recommending either the MHX salmon/steelhead blank ST1143 (9'6 - 6-12lb) or the ST1144F (9'6 8-17lb). The client does't want a broom handle, but at the same time doesn't want to be too under gunned.

I built him the SJ842-2 (7' 6-12lb) which he loved. He has used it on the beach with 20 grams lures, but has only tested it on 2lb tailor (bluefish) so far. I am assuming the ST1143 would be virtually the same once you add the extra 2 foot or so.

Has anyone used either? What are your recommndations.

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Light Beach Rod - MHX Blank?
Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: February 28, 2012 10:30AM

I am currently building the 8'6" MHX steelhead blank ST1023. It will be used to cast spoons and float rigs to 0.75oz.
There is absolutely no way it has the backbone to throw 2.1 ounces.

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2012 12:31PM

The ST1144F would be the one for 60 grams [2 ozs.]

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Chuck Howard (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2012 02:16PM

Sounds like the client needs three rods built. The client is overloading the first rod you built him throwing a 20 grams lure, the SJ842-2 has a lure weight of 1/8 to 1/2 oz rating. I only build for myself, but I am very specific about how much weight I am going to throw. The ST1144F would be a better blank for the 20 grams, to say 30 grams; somewhere in that range is going to be the "sweet spot" for that blank, but the recomended use for that blank is for Diver Baits / Drifter, so I am not sure how well it would heave iron.

The Carolina Cast Pro CPS10-14 might work well for your client: 10" 2 piece, 1-4 lure weight. The sweet spot on that blank is going to be real close to the 60 grams lure. I have an 11' Carolina Cast Pro, 2-5 oz lure weight, and I love it. The sweet spot on my rod for bait and weight is a 3 oz sinker, but the rod loads well if I snatch it when heaving 2 0z lures.

Good luck,
CarolinaChuck

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse2.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 28, 2012 04:07PM

Hi Richard,
Take a look at the Exel (Pacific) Composities PPG4120G (Bream). Just picked one up from The Rodworks to build myself a 10lb braid overhead for use off the beach. It will handle 60 grams as that's what I'll be throwing but you'll be struggling to find something that will throw 20 and 60. This rod is light in the tip so you probably will be able to throw 20 with it. I was originally looking for a PPG3144G as I've got one set up for a spinning reel and has been cut back to 10 feet from the butt end. It is very light in the tip but has got a surprising amount of grunt (for 3 wraps)further down. I throw 60 with that a very good distance and it would handle the 20. Unfortunately they're out of production. Ross van Enckevort recommended this blank and it looks like he was on the money. It's 10 foot one piece and is worth a look.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster