I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rod -- what tape?
Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 08:23PM

Spinning rods that either use rings or tape to hold the reel to the straight cork grip are often called Tennessee grips. Of course, when I first learned about spin fishing rings were just THE basic method for spinning rods. But, that's not my question. I mentioned tape. What is the best tape to use, and why, and where is it found. Context is light through medium heavy freshwater spin gear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rod -- what tape?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 09:50PM

I always seem to come back around to good 3M electrical tape.

It just works, is easy to use, and easy to get.

Good Luck,

Marc

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2012 11:49PM

X2 on Marc's comment.

One note of caution. If you are using tape on a cork or EVTennesseeee grip, put a tape boundary layer between the reel seat feet and the cork or EVA.

Basically, I position the reel on the grip where I want it to be located. I will just put a couple of chalk marks on the grip where the reel seat will be taped on.

Then, I put on about 1 1/2 to 2 wraps of tape in that position, where the reel will be taped to the grip.

then, whenever putting a reel on the grip, I never touch the base tape. i.e. I will put the reel in place over the base tape and put on about three wraps of tape on the front and rear reel foot. If this tape comes loose, I will just remove the top tre taped retape the reel.

If I remove the reel, I always leave the base tape in place.

the reason that I do this, is that the electrical tape is quite sticky - a good thing.
but if you remove all of the tape from the grip, there is a good chance that the adhesive fWillhe tape wiull pull a piece or pieces of grip from the grip and you will be left with holes in the grip.

But, if the tape is always left on the grip, the tape will never pull anything out of the grip.

Be safe
Roger

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 07:47AM

Very Special Attachment:

If you are using the Richard Forhan Poker Chip Insertion at Center of Each Reel Foot.

Try

2 1 Inch Wraps of Clear Packaging Tape with Fiber Reinforcemtnet (3 M Brand)

Cover with X Flock Shrink Warp Grip Material Wide Enough to Overlap Clear Tape.

Shrink in Place with MonoKote Iron to tighten.

Visit the Swampland Booth in High Point to view all -

This is a better mouse trap -

You also need to know the toothpick trick - Contact Us!

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 09:21AM

Bill Stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> You also need to know the toothpick trick -
>

Bill, it's not this, is it? Just kidding...

[www.flickr.com]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 15, 2012 09:48AM

Richard Thanks: Same first name and the G follows F :

You may have increased the value of the "picker" for the "sensitive" ones in the crowd!

Ask Steve Gardner if I am fooling around or not!

This one will be worth your drive from DC to High Point!

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: February 15, 2012 04:40PM

Personally, I think there are better alternatives to electrical tape. First, you can keep the rings and over wrap them, and the reel foot, with Rod Wrap. This will accomplish a couple of things. First, the reel is firmly secured. Secondly, the Rod Wrap makes for a better grip, IMO, and anchors the rings nicely. Or, instead of electrical tape, 3M or otherwise, try using black plumber's tape. This isn't found in every hardware store, but it is a stretchy, silicon tape without glue. Stretch it as you wrap and let it sit overnight. Once it is set, it is virtually bomb-proof, and there is no sticky glue to be found oozing from the wrap seams on hot summer days. You may want to secure the reel to the handle with a couple of short strips of electrical tape prior to using the plumber's tape, but this is only to hold the reel in place while you wrap.
Slainte,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.11.---)
Date: February 16, 2012 10:00AM

I like the simplicity and feel of 'Waterproof 1/4 " Adhesive Tape'. Easy to find also.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2012 10:23AM

Friction tape.

Posted by: Sam Walker (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: February 18, 2012 07:32PM

Hi all - holding a reel on with tape seems an unreliable way to do it ! Why not just use a reel seat ? I'm an Aussie and not familiar with the different ways you guys do some things so please excuse my ignorance....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster