I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fuji acs rear split grip dont fit
Posted by: Jeremy Johnson (---.lightspeed.gdrpmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 08, 2012 09:54PM

Who here is expierienced with the mud hole rear split grip cork( you know, the one with the tenon that is designed to fit Fuji casting seats and such..), combined with a Fuji ACS seat? I found that the ridge behind the trigger protrudes above the diameter of the cork, just on the bottom though. I remedied this on my first build with aid of a dremel, and an hour or so of sanding the actual seat, leaving it with a less black, more grey/mottled appearance, looks okay for this rod but I wouldn't want it on all my builds. Just wondering if there was a better way, or maybe just a grip from another vendor to try, I would love to turn my own cork, but that will be further down the road. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton, - J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fuji acs rear split grip dont fit
Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.128.---)
Date: February 09, 2012 06:43AM

Glue about three cork rings onto the end of the cork grip and then turn it down to the same diameter as the fuji reel seat. That is what I do.

Dan grulke

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 07:46AM

The Batson split grip kits are undersized for the ACS seats too. I did just as Dan....I cut the tenon off, glued 2 rings and turned them to get the proper transition.

Date: February 09, 2012 09:58AM

Do you gentlemen affix the grip to a mandrel/lathe first or just put it right on the blank and turn it? Is there an inexpensive way to do this?
I've got one more to do, then its on to spinning for a few builds so I don't want to buy an expensive lathe for one build, let's just say that is not in the budget right now. At that point I would also consider just using a different reel seat that fit the cork better, sounds backwards to me though. I might just be turning my own cork sooner than later.
Which reminds me, I don't want to be too off topic, but has anyone any expierience with the pre formed cork for the VSS spinning seat. I was planning on using those but I will consider other options if the fit is sloppy.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.pitbpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 09, 2012 10:33AM

I put them on a mandrel and turn on my lathe. Since you don't have that many to do, I'd suggest gluing up on threaded rod and try shaping on a power drill. I wouldn't think it would be too hard to rig something up to get you through the task. Check the tools section on the photo page. There's probably some pics of other's set-ups using drills.

I started turning on a drill press with a lathe conversion kit from PSI. If you're interested in that, I'd send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Date: February 09, 2012 06:41PM

I have a drill press, just not a very big one, so I'm not sure if the kit you speak of would fit it or not. If so, that would be great. Thank you for the offer regardless. I will have to take some measurements tomorrow when I can get to it.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 10:37AM

An electric drill 3/8 - 1/2" chuck A piece of scrap blank as the arbor
Glue up the rings on a threaded rod Ream when dry to fit the scrap blank
Insert into the drill chuck Support the other end

You have a lath

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: February 10, 2012 03:57PM

The pré formed Cork (short version) for the VSS reel seat fit beautifully (i build a lot with the the VSS16 and short Cork grip.
Just Glue the Cork to the VSS (with the arbor glued in) let it dry and them ream the wholee to fit the blank.
Then glue to the blank.
Perfect fit.

Date: February 11, 2012 12:36AM

Bill, thanks for the suggestions. I was wondering about the method of gluing the rings to the threaded rod that Scott mentioned as well, should I just be careful when gluing them together as to not stick them to the threaded rod, or what's the plan, how should I affix the cork to the scrap blank for turning, or would I be able to just turn it on the threaded rod and ream to fit my build after it is turned? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just a little unsure of the process and I don't wanna screw up, I may have to resort to this method if the drill press kit doesn't pan out for me.
Eric, you just answered my question. Thanks a lot, now I don't gotta look for more seat/cork options for my spin rods, I love the way those vss seats feel. You would think the casting seats with a flat back would be easier to get right than the strange cut out of the vss but go figure.
Thanks again guys.

Posted by: Scott Hovanec (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 08:38AM

Jeremy, shoot me an email with your mailing address and I'll send it out. It will fit, regardless of the drill press size. You will just have to get a shorter mandrel if your press isn't very tall.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 11, 2012 09:15AM

When using rod bond I put 2 - 3 dabs of it on a ring then lay another and turn it several times

You don't need much and if it sticks you can loosen one nut and tighten the other it will push the handle off the threaded rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 11, 2012 11:24AM

I use threaded rod to glue up rings a fair bit. Just like a mandrel, you need to wax it up to prevent sticking. I rub a candle over it till the threads fill up, and spin in against the candle to wax the thread crests. As mentioned, if it does stick, loosening one nut and tihtening the other wing nut will pop the cork free. You can also just unscrew the cork off.

Date: February 12, 2012 10:08AM

Thanks for all of the insight gentlemen, I think I have a good enough grasp on the methods now, and I'm ready to get to turning my own cork grips and get a little hands on expierience. That should help make me feel like a real custom rod builder.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster