I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

static test with micros
Posted by: scott stevens (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 11:03AM

I just did a static test on a 7'6" med. casting rod using #3 micros tip to butt. I'm finding to get the line to match blank curve like I like I'm using 17 guides. Does this seem like way too many?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: static test with micros
Posted by: mike harris (174.136.133.---)
Date: February 03, 2012 11:16AM

Yes. I usually don’t use any more microguides than I would use with conventional guides, on a 7’6” rod 9 or 10 is probably plenty. It is not the end of the world for the line to touch the blank when you are doing a static test, you will find that in reality the tip will end up straightening out and most of the bend will be deeper in the blank anyway.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 11:43AM

It's ok to let the line touch.

Make some popcorn.... ;) [rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 11:56AM

way too many. I have 11 American Tackle NBRL's size 3 on a 7'6" rod that I just put on the dryer last night, also a 7' ATC NBRL's size 3 on the other dryer with 9 guides. Depending on the blanks action, you will find moving the guides around during a static test is bit frustrating. Under a medium load the line may come very close to the blank if not right on it, under a heavy load the line will touch the blank. It's unavoidable unless you use 17, but like Chuck Mentioned, it is okay for the line to touch the blank. If you are concerned with it, spiral wrap it.

Date: February 03, 2012 12:02PM

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. Mike I did notice that the guides toward the tip could actually be farther apart than say a third of the way down the blank. I assume this is o.k? I guess I'm to worried about the "look" of the guides and line and just need to look at the function.

Posted by: brad parker (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 12:08PM

The line touching the blank is going to happen when using micros. Unless you use a lot of them. Just make sure the line does not go under the blank when static testing.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 12:09PM

Count down on this forum eight threads from your post -

Take a read.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 01:19PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 12:28PM

Its not like a few years ago when you heard "don't let the line touch the blank" and "you need to build on the spine of the blank" It was somewhat easier then also before the lower profile micros. Now guess what...its OK for the line to come in contact with the blank...and just build on the straightest axis. I really wouldn't want it to go under the blank though, when the load changes direction on a conventional built rod, there will be a significant twang when the line jumps from one side of the blank to the other. Spiral wrap it and you can def get by with less guides.

Posted by: randy stainer (---.k12.ar.us)
Date: February 03, 2012 01:39PM

I have a 7'6' medium power, moderate action rod under construction with #3 micros. I chose to simple spiral the guides and wound up with 9 plus a bumper. Under the same load, an on top build would have required more to keep the line off the blank.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 02:06PM

The comments on " touching under load " may need furthur thought -

What kind of rods are you using - difference between bass rod and saltwater deep jigger.

When does line touch bother you if micro guides are on the rod?

On the cast? On the hook set? Fighting the Fish? Retrieving the Lure? Please list others -

Is the blank "loaded" when the lure is outbound?

Who is in control of the blank loading at all other times?

The only time for bass rods that the angler may not be in total control is during deep runs at the boat - that is when drag settings on the reel become very important.

How they "look" may cause the misguided to stack in too many!

Put the guides in the correct place.

Date: February 03, 2012 02:33PM

I always assumed the correct place to put them was so the line flowed with the blank. If we are not concerned with that and the line is ok touching the blank then how do I really determine what the correct spacing is? Equally spaced? Im sorry to admit I'm kind of confused. I read one post the guy said he is building 8' rods w/ 9 micros and the line isnt touching. How is that possible. I'm reading tons on this and dont feel I'm going forward in the learning process. What I'm I looking for in the static test to determine spacing if its not the line in relationship to the blank?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 02:50PM

Ask for the guide spacing on the blank you are using

You can even click on the posters names and get it though the e-mails

Bill - willierods.com

Date: February 03, 2012 03:11PM

I guess I asked too many questions. Sorry, I can promise you it wont happen again

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: February 03, 2012 03:20PM

Scott - the method I learned is in the material I posted a link to. I learned it from Bobby F.

There are all sorts of experts out there, but many of us do it this way and have done hundreds of rods. Assuming you are doing a typical bass type freshwater rod, with guides on top -

Make or buy a fixture to hold your rod level. I use a blank test fixture like this [www.rodbuilding.org]

Glue on a tip. Put some guides (9, 10, 12 or ?) on the rod with tiny surgical bands or ty-raps or whatever method you use - but you need to be able to slide them around (so skip the glue). Tie on enough weight to flex the rod almost 90 degrees. You need to attach the weght to the tip top! I use a soft copper s-hook made out of common houshold electrical wiring. I attach a heavy duty ziplock bag that I put my weights in. Put a reel on and thread line through the guides & tip. Add a little weight (.5 oz or so) to the line just to keep it tight. Space the guides so the line just touches the blank. Add or remove guides as desired so that the line just touches at load. Wrap it and fish. Some guys go 5mm, 4mm then all 3mm, some guys use all 4mm.

Chuck

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 03:45PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 04:54PM

xxx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2012 04:59PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: February 03, 2012 05:10PM

scott stevens Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess I asked too many questions. Sorry, I can
> promise you it wont happen again

Scott - ask away. Most of us don't mind questions. There are many people on here with an awful lot of experience with what you are trying to do.

Chuck

Date: February 05, 2012 04:50PM

Chuck, your comment " so the line is just touching the blank" is what I was looking for. some kind of reference. Thank you I couldnt find that anywhere.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster