I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: What type of brush do you use?
Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2012 12:19PM

The fiber issue is why I use foam, starting with the second rod I've ever built. for the most part I dont let the brush touch the rod and allow the spinning rod to pull the epoxy off the foam. The only time I really apply pressurre is the first layer of guide wraps and that is to force epoxy to fill the void between the thread and foot.

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 12:33PM

I am actually the real cheapskate here. I use a very nice sable hair brush I purchased at a local arts supply store. And I have used it over and over and over and over, ad nauseum. In the long run, it is cheaper than the "cheap" disposable types. When I bought it, I also purchased a palette knife, and it has been a bit useful applying epoxy finish, also.
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 01:35PM

Not as cheap as me I clean the cheap brushes And have used one for a lone time

No problems If I think the brush is that bad I replace it - frugal

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 02:24PM

Problem wiht teh small skinny brushes is the money you save buyin gthe brush, you lose in time it takes you to apply the finish, and the quality of the finish (lumps and bumps)often isn't as good as those applied with a wide applicator.

Posted by: gene bethea (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 02:55PM

Scott; or anybody; what is a "bubble-blaster"; that sound like something I could use.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 03:07PM

well there is a lot of ways to apply epoxy if you read them all, you come up with a couple of ways
# 1 use a stiff brush/ spatula to apply it
# 2 don't touch the rod with the brush / spatula
# 3 use bubble buster or little heat to to get read of bubble's if you have a problem
# 4 what ever works for you is one of the most inportent of al,l
as you see soft, hard, or spatula an you apply the epoxy, [you don't brush if on] an heep coffie filters an DNA close by to help clean up the runs or drops
MY 2 CTS Bill

Date: February 02, 2012 03:35PM

A simple thing for bubbles is to blow on the finish with a straw I guess it is your hot breath that thins it and bubbles release Then also don't Glob it on

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 04:33PM

Bill before you go blowing on your finish go out and eat a clove of garlic and a half an onion. Those bubbles will dare not show up again.

Lance

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 08:02PM

I used to use a nice brush then I mistakenly did not clean it out afterwards. Caught my mistake about3 hours later. Since the epoxy was still rather soft I shaped it so that it formed a spatula type shape with a little cup in it. Now I use it all the time and I am much happier with the results over a brush.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Date: February 02, 2012 09:19PM

What ever works try it all and see what you like

Biting into an onion Yummy

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 02, 2012 10:59PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I purposely mix as many bubbles int omy finish as
> I possibly can, and then I put more on when I
> apply with a brush, someitmes you can't even see
> through the epoxy it's so white with foam bubles.
> Add some Propane torch heat and they go away.

I do what billy does. Go to the store, get those regular cheap craft brushes that come lik 5 in a pack of all different lengths.. trim them a little first. the stiffer the better., mix the epoxy like scrambling eggs, glob some on, step on my power wrapper, then brush lengthwise. once im done, ill wick the epoxy off the brush, put it in brush cleaner. boom. glass.

------------------
Gabe
(N.E.R.B.S Mascot)

Posted by: John Van Emmerik (---.dsl.renocs.pacbell.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 03:04AM

I still have some yellow handled flex coat brushes and use inexpensive camel hair brushes. I even the end of the bristles with tying scissors and work them to get out loose fibers. The brush is used almost like a spatula. Load the brush with finish and hold it against a rotated rod. I found blowing gently thru a straw on finish right after it is poured out on a flat tin foil surface really gets bubbles out. Blowing on the wraps right after you apply finish gets rid of any remaining bubbles. Don't get spit on the finish (ask me how I know). I've had lousy luck with flaming finish but some folks like it and get good results.

John

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.4.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: February 04, 2012 11:55PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The cheap brushes But make sure the fibers don't
> come out in the finish

I've found that you can take needlenose pliars and crimp the collar of those cheap brushes, and the bristles stay in a lot better.

Date: February 05, 2012 08:50AM

That is the first thing I do Then i will wash them to see if any come out then better then on the finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: February 05, 2012 10:32PM

I always had problems with bubbles until i understood why they appear, first coat will always produce bubbles, the air in or under the thread will always come to the surface as the epoxy soaks in, I do the same as Billy, more bubbles the better I say, once its brushed on everywhere i stop the dryer with the guides odviously facing up, leave it for 5 - 10 mins, (procote) then wick off the bottom where the epoxy drips off taking 90% of the bubbles then start the dryer up and blow torch....easy peasy....no bubbles..
top coat same deal, let it sit longer to drip longer so the final coat is thin before starting the dryer up.

Posted by: Patrick Lloyd (---.scansafe.net)
Date: February 07, 2012 11:06AM

Just noticed the article I mentioned in issue 9/1 is in the Library on this site.

Go to Library - Imoriving your Expoxy Finish

Patrick Lloyd
Pearland, TX
Have been repairing and building rods off and on since 2001

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster