I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What type of brush do you use?
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bstnma.btas.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 08:16AM

Maybe it's me but I'm having a lot of trouble with my brushes. I use a cheap brush made in China that is not nylon. The brush leaves a lot of bubbles. Perhaps I'm brushing too fast. Thanks Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What type of brush do you use?
Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 08:36AM

I use foam brushes. are you using epoxy?

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Posted by: Scott Kleppe (---.196.51.216.dyn.southslope.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 08:48AM

I use the same cheap brushes, but I do not use heavy brush strokes. I always use a bubble blaster or heat to pop the bubble if they exist.

SK Custom Rods
American Tackle Pro Staff

Fish now, cause you'll be dead for a long time.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.207.---)
Date: February 01, 2012 08:51AM

You shouldn't need to brush. Load the brush hold it close to the blank so epoxy flows from brush to blank and turn the blank. Brushing will induce bubbles and not because of the brush. I use cheap brushes and throw them away when finished. I don't have to clean them and I don't have problems with bubbes. I do let the finish set in the cup after mixing for a couple of minutes to let any bubbles rise from mixing, then sart turning and applying.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 10:32AM

I use the cheap brushes as well, I get them in a tube that has a bunch of them in there from a place that has a "hobby and a lobby". I see bubbles when I first stick the brush in the epoxy because of air that is trapped in the bristles, but I'll just puff on them and they'll burst.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 10:34AM

I buy the brushes by the hundred and pay about 3 cents each for the brushes.

As the others have said, don't use the brush to actually apply the finish, load the brush and let the finish apply itself without actually having the brush touch the rod.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Patrick Lloyd (---.scansafe.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 11:19AM

I see a lot about mixing and bubbles. Purchased the mototrized epoxy mixer Monday afternoon from my local rod shop and it works great! The bubbles are so reduced it makes the application and de-bubbling a lesser chore. I agree with Bruce, let the epoxy flow to the rod, although not real heavy. It's not a crime to apply multiple coats and these results too can be rearding. IE, no more footballs!

If you have it read article in issue 9/1 titled 'better epoxy finish techniques'

Tight wraps everyone!!

Patrick Lloyd
Pearland, TX
Have been repairing and building rods off and on since 2001

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 12:18PM

I had a lot of bubble problems until I started pouring my mixed epoxy in a very shallow dish lined with aluminum foil for a few minutes before applying. You can see the bubbles coming out of the mix.

I have also found that the Pro-Kote epoxy from Mudhole allows me more working time to do this than the Flex Coat that I was using.

Posted by: Derek Rogers (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 12:30PM

Prokote also has a much better bubble release than flexcoat does. I havnt had to heat or thin my prokote (left in the mixing cup) yet where I have to heat flexcoat everytime to get rid of all the bubbles (even when I poured it onto a foil)

Strong wraps, calm seas
Derek

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bstnma.btas.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 12:42PM

Thanks guys . I'll try your suggestions. Bill

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 01:42PM

Bill,

I use ox hair brushes that I picked up at the hardware store. They treat me well. After I apply finish, I put them in brush cleaner for a bit. By the time I'm done touching up with a small brush and ready to leave the rod, all it takes a flush with water, and they are ready for the next round.

As mentioned above technique and repetition are more important. When you find a combination of brush, epoxy, mixing, and finishing technique that work well for you, stick with it. I'm sure we all have our own little nuances when it comes to finishing a rod.

Joe

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 01:47PM

I purposely mix as many bubbles int omy finish as I possibly can, and then I put more on when I apply with a brush, someitmes you can't even see through the epoxy it's so white with foam bubles. Add some Propane torch heat and they go away.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 03:48PM

On a butt wrap I use the cheap 1`` bristle brush and use leghth wise strokes to cover the entire wrap easily and quickly, while using the small brushes on the guides.

I mix with a power mixer with very little bubbles. For all the more the cost, I give everything a small blast of Bubble Buster.

My finish is much nicer than it used to be and more than just satisfactory.

Epoxy of choice is Thread Master.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 04:40PM

No brush here, I use a spatula . Eliminates the air is the bristles and is easier to fill the tunnels with the pointy end. Learned the technique from Ralph O`Quinn. The epoxy master.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.gh.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: February 01, 2012 07:16PM

Ditto what Fred said, Ralph showed me how to use a spatula and I haven't looked back.

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: February 01, 2012 07:58PM

I prefer Red Sable. But when I ruin my last one by forgetting to clean it, I apply with spatula. Micros just a pick.

Posted by: Bill Jovanovski (---.hdcz1.win.bigpond.net.au)
Date: February 02, 2012 04:24AM

I use cheap disposable lipstick applicator brushes that I get from @#$%&. 100pcs for about $15 including shipping from china. Never had an issue. In fact, the bristle look and feel the same as those bought from rod building suppliers.

They about 3.5" long with 1/4" bristles and are great for small jobs. I believe there is a US seller.

I still uses from from our rod building suppler for my slighly larger epoxy jobs.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 11:07AM

Fred Trahan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the cheap brushes as well, I get them in a
> tube that has a bunch of them in there from a
> place that has a "hobby and a lobby". I see
> bubbles when I first stick the brush in the epoxy
> because of air that is trapped in the bristles,
> but I'll just puff on them and they'll burst.

I see the same thing Fred does.
I totally imerse my brush in finish and push down on it to expell the air before pouring the finish onto foil. I havent quite mastered letting the rod pull the finish and achieve the results i want off so I do have the slightest of brush contact, almost bouncing it. I purposely use pressure on guide wraps on my initial coat to force epoxy through the thread and into to the void between the thread and guide foot, then go back and add more finish.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 11:08AM

I'm a spatula guy myself, but if you are going to use brushes, the stiffer ones will be easier to apply the epoxy where you want it. A wimpy brush will hold a lot of epoxy but they spread when you apply so the edges are less defined. The cheap brushes are mostly pretty stiff so they work okay. There isn't a lot of difference between a good stiff brush and a flexible spatula. The brush probably holds more epoxy, but the spatula allows better control for edges and filling tunnels. My opinion of course.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 02, 2012 11:20AM

The cheap brushes But make sure the fibers don't come out in the finish

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster