I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster
Posted by: Jacob Thompson (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 11:28PM

Im using threadmaster high build and im having a little trouble mixing it (I think). I put equal parts in the mixing cup and mix it up slowly and evenly for 2 or 3 minutes. So it should at first get murky and then bubbles form but then shouldnt it become really clear once Ive mixed it enough? I tried it 3 different times just to make sure, the first time it got kind a sort of soapy look to it, i dont know why, so I heated it up a little and the next time it worked better but still got really really bubbly after i mixed it and the same result the next time. I even tried mixing it more but nothing happened and even more bubbles formed. What am I doing wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster
Posted by: Mitchell Karmel (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 11:34PM

What type of mixing cup are you using and what are you using to stir it with?
Mitch

Posted by: Jacob Thompson (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 11:37PM

Im using plastic mixing cups that i got from mudhole and the rounded side of the brush that I got from mudhole too

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 12:10AM

Sounds like you are mixing it too fast and introducing the bubbles into the mix. Try mixing it very slowly and when thoroughly mixed, pour it out onto aluminum foil in a saucer. As it spreads out you will be able to see the bubbles and they will dissipate better with the broader surface. I also then use a straw to blow on the mix which pops the bubbles. At this point the mix should be very clear! I use Threadmaster both regular and lite exclusively.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (98.145.18.---)
Date: January 21, 2012 12:54AM

It's the mixing that introduces the air, that form the bubbles.
I tip the mixing cup on it's side and rotate it, so the two liquids flow together.
As the two parts unit they become foggy, but as you continue turning the cup, they clear.
My last step is to pour the clear finish into a shallow foil dish as suggested above.
I found that a very small stainless steel spatula works better for me than a brush.
I think the bristles hold air that can also form bubbles in the finish.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 01:05AM

Try ProKote it dries crystal clear and no bubbles at all and the few bubbles can be flamed thats you best bet

Glenn McMurrian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2012 01:06AM by Glenn McMurrian.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 02:17AM

Jacob,
What is the temperature of the Threadmaster and the temperature of the room in which you are mixing the product.

Also, what is the age of the product.

For mixing, you might try using a flat craft stick - on which you have sawed the end of the stick flat.

Then, when mixing, (fold) the product onto itself, rather than mixing it too fast. You can get an excellent mix of the product by using a folding technique with many fewer bubbles than otherwise.

If the temperate of the product and or the room is too cold in which you are mixing can lead to poor results as well.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 05:13AM

You shouldn't have any issues. When I mix my finish, I don't get into all of this mixing mumbo jumbo. I mix it like I would stir coffee. Just mix it.

Hers is a video.

[www.youtube.com]

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 09:14AM

The light finish should be easier to use it will not hold bubbles as much as the high build will

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott D parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2012 09:30AM

Jacob,
Temperature will play a roll in the issues you are having, but mix it slowly and steady and try not to introduce any bubbles mix for at least 3 min. then pour it out on a flat surface and the bubles should disperse, after appling on the rod get a thin straw and you can blow out any bubbles that show up from aplication, alot builders use heat but use it sparingly. Thank you for using our products. and feel free to email me anytime with questions.
Thanks
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2012 09:41AM

You'll do better by using a wide, flat stick to stir it with. A small rounded stir stick takes too much time and requires too much stirring to completely mix the two parts.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.sub-174-252-88.myvzw.com)
Date: January 21, 2012 09:46AM

Kevin , do you leave the finish on the warmer all the time or do you turn it on a set time before you need it?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 10:15PM

In that video, it was March and very cold. The heat pumps were kickin to keep the shop (Over the garage) at 70. On a normal winter day, I only heat the resin. I leave the hardener at room temp. I heat it for about 30 minutes before use and then turn it off. So, no, I don't keep it on all the time.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.sub-75-219-50.myvzw.com)
Date: January 22, 2012 06:34PM

Jacob,
Idont know about the brush handle your stirring with but I have had some that were not color fast and bled into the finish, which was not threamaster.
Two to three minutes doesnt sound like a vey long time to mix, especially if mixing slowly.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: January 22, 2012 09:25PM

I use Threadmaster and I just mix it with a disposable brush handle cut off so it's thicker. Mix like crazy, mix some more, pour out on foil, and blow out the bubbles.

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.gh.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 01:31AM

If you really want to see what using well mixed finish can do for you try using a power mixer. You can make one yourself or buy one for not much money if you check around. Use a ball bearing in the cup and you will probably not go back to mixing by hand. Since I started using a mixer I don't worry about bubbles and I never have problems with the finish not setting up for a day or two like I did in the past. What I think was happening was I wasn't getting the mix in the corners mixed good but that doesn't happen any more.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 23, 2012 07:32AM

Hello Jacob

I'm with Les, I love my power mixer.

Still 3 minutes mixing then onto foil.

Happy mixing.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2012 03:51PM

Dont bother with the power mixer. All it does is cause problems. IMHO, get a shot glass or small candle holder from the dollar store, mix it up in there with one of those metal spatulas from mudhole. I mix it up like scrambled eggs, then put it on the rod, and hit it with the propane/butane torch!
tight wraps

------------------
Gabe
(N.E.R.B.S Mascot)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster