I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Polyester & Silk Threads
Posted by: dennis adamczyk (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 12:06AM

Does Thread for a freshwater rod have to be nylon or can I use a Polyester thread? Has anyone use Polyester or silk thread from a sewing store? Will the finish damage Polyester or silk threads?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polyester & Silk Threads
Posted by: Garry Thornton (98.145.18.---)
Date: January 21, 2012 12:43AM

I don't want to highjack this thread, but I have not rod building stores within a 3 hour drive so what about 100% cotton thread from quilting stores?
Is there an easy conversion for A-B-C-D thread size to something that sewing shops recognize?

Posted by: dennis adamczyk (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 12:48AM

have you or can you use a cotton thread?

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 12:59AM

polyester is good.
Cotton and rayon is not good.
40 wt is a little bigger than A.
I like Coats and Clark Trilobal. Also check out Mettler.
You may need to use color preserver. Some sewing machine threads have a lubricant that will contaminate your finish, but epoxy or a urethane (PermaGloss, Lumiseal) will not harm the thread, with or without CP.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2012 09:04AM by George Forster.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2012 10:03AM

You can use almost anything to bind the guides to the blank, but there will be some disadvantages in using certain materials.

Nylon thread is among the most resistant to rot and degradation. That's why the rod building industry chooses it as the standard for rod winding thread.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2012 11:32AM

A couple of thoughts:
I personally like a bit of stretch in the thread when i wrap rods. The stretch in the thread allows for nice tight easy to pack thread wraps.

Nylon thread has this ability to have a bit of stretch.

Polyester, on the other hand, has very little stretch and is a bit more difficult to get the nice uniform tight wraps that are trivial with the nylon thread.

Any thread can be used to wrap, but thread like nylon is certainly one of the nicest and most manageable compared to other threads on the market.

It is to your advantage to also use thread that will hold up to the UV rays of the sun and not to rot under these rays. Again, both Nylon and Poly have this ability to withstand the US rays of the sun.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Garry Thornton (98.145.18.---)
Date: January 21, 2012 02:41PM

Thanks for the info!
Garry2R's

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 21, 2012 09:52PM

many, including me, use polyestor (Madiera, Trilobal, etc) Like George said, use CP due to silicone lubrication used for high speed machine use. Personally, I would STAY AWAY from cotton, rayon, etc. I have heard to many horror stories about swelling and loosening when finish is applied. 40 wt sewing thread is a LITTLE bit smaller tham A thread

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 02:14PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2012 11:11PM

I tried Rayon once and when I put CP on it, it turned mushy. It reacted with the CP somehow and it was really a mess. Cotton thread has too many fuzzies and is not as strong as Poly or Nylon.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Nkrumah Morgan (192.189.128.---)
Date: January 29, 2012 09:49PM

Hello everybody. I am new here to the forums and looking to start my first custom rod. I have some thread questions... I understand cotton and rayon = no no. I have found some embroidery thread on E Bay in big lots = Tons of Colors. With that said is it ok to use the polyester embroidery threads? I plan on sticking with A/A, A/D wraps primarily. If it is ok to use, what would be the equivalent for "D" size in the poly embroidery thread weights?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster