I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best RPM for a dryer
Posted by: Julian Ferras (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 02:48PM

I am building a rod drying set-up to be able to dry 2 rods at the same time. I already have one motor with 24 RPM, but I believe that's too fast for drying. I was told to use a 3 RPM motor, but that I believe is too slow. Based on your experience, what is the most appropriate RPM speed for drying?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best RPM for a dryer
Posted by: Brook Oliva (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 02:53PM

Julian,
It really a matter of what your most comfortable with. If you will be applying the finish with the rod in this unit, I would lean towards the lower between 6-9 RPMs personally.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2012 02:59PM

Different epoxy viscosities require different turning speeds for best results. The thicker the finish is, the slower you can turn it. The thinner the finish is, the faster it will need to be turned.

18RPM is an all-around good choice.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 03:00PM

For drying only, slow is better then fast, to much speed and it creates a centrifugal force that can cause smoothness problems.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 03:29PM

Julian,
The best speed is the one that you can change.
Pick up a variable speed dc motor that can vary the speed from 0-50 rpm and you will be in charge of the situation.

Lots of folks like 6 rpm. Lots of folks like 10 rpm. Lots of folks like 18 rpm.

Thick finish - turn slow.
Thin finish - turn fast.

But, never turn so fast that you get a slinging effect with the epoxy.
If you get sags in your finish at your drying speed, you are turning too slow.
If you get foot ball shaped guides, you are turning too fast, because the dryer is slinging the finish.

If the finish remains nice and level with clean sharp edges, you are turning it just right.

The dryer in the back is a drum dryer that allows 12 rods to be dried at the same time. It is driven by a 90 volt dc gear motor with an adjustable rpm of 0-50 rpm.
The two front dryers are using 6 rpm timing motors to drive the driers.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2012 03:33PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 03:58PM

Flexcoat is the largest supplier of dryer units to both dryers to both volume custom builders and production facilities.

Information from the experts is posted on the [www.flexcoat.com] Flexcoat Link on this site.-

Optimum Speed for 2 Part Epoxy clearly stated as 18 rpm.

If you are getting footballs you have applied too much finish.

If you would like to have a finish motor or dryer station and are going to the High Point contact Swampland today and one will be delivered to you with no shipping charges.

Call Swampland today to arrange a special price delivery.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 04:07PM

I put my finish on at about 80 RPM
I can also keep it at that speed -- It will level and hold more finish then a slower speed Even when using a light finish
It will also give you a nice edge on the blank because of the faster speed

Play with faster speeds and slower speeds and see what you like
Your choice

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 05:30PM

8 rpm or up as the faster it is the more finish you can put on at one time and the less sags in the finish one will get as I use a motor like Bill does and it save time too.

Glenn McMurrian

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2012 11:28PM

I have tried several and IMO for me 18 -20 rpm seems to be a good speed for how I finish my rods.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 24, 2012 12:49AM

I puy my epoxy on at 140 or so RPM, then I dry on an 8rpm, but i would reallllllyyy like to get an 18. My rod lathe only had an 8rpm motor though :(

But yeah, you can dry at any speed you prefer, i use threadmaster high build, so if they made a 12 rpm motor it would be right up my alley!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster