I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

American Tackle Dryer
Posted by: Jacob Thompson (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:46PM

I just finished my first rod recently and I have the 9 RPM American Tackle Dryer from mudhole. But when I just tested it out, the gimbal on my rod wouldnt stay in the chuck. Its not too big but the chuck seems to be loosening on its own for some reason and I cant figure out how to fix it. Has anyone else used this dryer and had a problem like this and if so, what would you recommend I do to fix it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: American Tackle Dryer
Posted by: Garry Thornton (98.145.18.---)
Date: January 20, 2012 08:58PM

My dryer has a piece on the back of the chuck that looks like wings.
This is a lock nut that you can tighten to keep the jaws tight.
Also my dryer has three hooks, one on each jaw.
If you hook on a rubber band on each and wrap them around the handle, the rod will be quite secure.
I make spare bands by cutting the wide rubber band from broccoli in half.

Date: January 20, 2012 09:00PM

You mean you wrap the rubber bands around the rod handle?

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 20, 2012 09:20PM

Yes lock the wing on back of the jaws and hook the rubber band on the hook ,go around handle a couple times and hook loose end back on the chuck jaws.Use a couple or three bands.I sometimes just use masking tape to go around the jaws ,rod,and back around the chuck again.

Date: January 20, 2012 09:30PM

Oh ok that makes sense Ill give it a try thanks for the tip!

Date: January 20, 2012 09:51PM

I just tried it and it fixed it thank you for the help!

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: January 23, 2012 02:43PM

Hey jacob.....Bruce and gary gave you good info......I do all that and just for good measure I will stick a piece of masking tape on the jaws of my dryer and let it pay out for a turn or two then bring the tape down onto the rod handle for a turn or two then back up on the dryer. This way if the rod does come out for some strange reason , it wont fall on your bench and the wet finish won't get messed up.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.static.tpgi.com.au)
Date: January 26, 2012 12:35AM

On any gimbal I put a couple of wraps of masking tape around the ends. The taper of the gimbal and especially the slicker surface of alloy gimbals seems to really like twisting out. I have my motors on the left and have them rotating towards me (counter-clockwise). Always tighten the chuck and then tighten the lock-nut at the back.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster