I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Switch Rod Assembly
Posted by: Paul Asbell (---.reverse.esedona.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 10:11PM

Building my first Switch Rod. My question is regarding assembly of the rear grip, reel seat, and fore grip to the butt section blank. It is of course a 4 pc. Is the order of assembly the rear grip reamed out first to slide down the blank to the end of the butt section and glued in first? Then 2nd, reel seat shim or bushings put in place where reel seat goes in front of rear grip? Then 3rd glueing in the real seat over said shim or bushings down to rear grip? Then 4th after reaming out fore grip, glueing in place the fore grip down to the reel seat where the pocket of the fore grip and seat meet. It seems to me that it is much like assembly of a spinning rod outfit. Thanks for any suggestions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Switch Rod Assembly
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 10:34PM

Just about right, exception is that you glue the shim into the rel seat before reaming it to fit the blank. If you are using tape instead of a shim your sequence is correct. Be sure you dry fit everything before mixing up the epoxy!!

Date: January 16, 2012 10:57PM

Thank you Phil, I was just thinking about the shim, because I am so use to making my own tape bushings to fit and slide the reel seat over, I have never used a shim till now, it makes sense to fit it to the id of the reel seat first then glue it in, and then ream out the id of the shim inside the reel seat before glueing onto the blank. I built a nice spey rod some time ago, but forgot the order of assembly on that build and was guessing the process was the same. Many thanks.

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.capoc.army.mil)
Date: January 17, 2012 01:26PM

I do the lower from the back end of the blank an I have the butt cap milled into the lower handle already. Then I go reelseat from the top, upper grip and check.

Date: January 17, 2012 02:39PM

Thanks Eric, correct me if I am wrong. What you are saying is you install the rear grip from the bottom of the blank and slide it upwards into place rather than sliding it down from the narrow end of the blank to the end of the butt. I am guessing that installing it in this manner won't have to much effect on reaming out the rear grip in a reverse taper. I am trying to picture the direction of the taper in reaming out the rear grip. Seems like it would not matter to much in this way, as the diameter change is only so much for the length of the grip used.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 04:25PM

When doing any butt from the butt of the rod you will have to add shims to take up the thinner portion of the blank

A lot easier from the tip down Better fit -- Unless the guides are on

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 17, 2012 09:59PM

Thank you Bill, I thought that that would be necessary to make up the difference.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 19, 2012 01:12PM

Hello All

If you have a handle without a through hole (===== (lathe turned with the butt still there) you can dry fit the arbor to the butt then epoxy the arbor to the blank last slide the epoxied butt on from the bottom onto the the arbor.

Hope that is understandable.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 19, 2012 01:28PM

You can also make the hole go all the way and slide from the tip Glue and then put a cap of many different materials in the hole

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 19, 2012 03:02PM

Try checking these two links out!

[clients.criticalimpact.com]#

[clients.criticalimpact.com]#

If you like what you read make sure to sign up for our News letter here [www.batsonenterprises.com]

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster