I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
EVA to Rod Transition
Posted by: James Carnes (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 09:01PM

I am attempting to make a transition from a EVA foregrip to the rod by covering the EVA with rod finish (Pro Kote). The end result being a firm and glossy like winding check or transition piece. It looks good, but the finish keeps seeping under whatever straight edge I am attempting to accomplish. Does anyone have any tricks or suggestions as to how to get a nice crisp edge where the finish meets the rest of the EVA foregrip? Thanks.
James

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA to Rod Transition
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 09:22PM

Don't let finish touch EVA, it's like a friggin magnet that makes a complete mess. If you want the epoxy to butt up to the EVA, I suggest leaving a steep edge at the fornt of the grip, applying finish then the last stel is to carefully sand theforegrip to meet the EVA.

Date: January 16, 2012 10:57PM

How did they do this on the EVA?
[www.rodbuilding.org]
James

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 08:28AM

It looks like on the photo that it is a different part, its a good looking job he did, I am wondering also on how he did it, cause I have tried something similar with eva and all the eva did was soak the epoxy up and make a mess, then I tried taping the eva so it will make a straight line but it still got under the eva, what a mess, but I eventually sanded the eva and made a straight line, but not as close as looking good as that pic, maybe he made like an indention in the eva so the epoxy would not spread to the eva where he doesn't want it to go, your guess is as good as any of mine probably better lol! Good Luck!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 08:41AM

Lots of Offshore rods that use leather foregrips look likethat, but the epoxy is applied to thread not to the leather. I'll assume thta they had a ramp withthread wrapped over it, and they were careful with how the epoxy was applied. Or it's just a hosel that was made off the rod and installed like a winding check.

I'm assuming I do not know for sure.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 09:29AM

Looks like you can make it out of cork - fill -sand-paint

Or wood or a large reel seat arbor ? Foam
Shape paint Do all the work off the rod then ream and glue on

Even shape and paint eva off the rod and glue on Clean edges

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 17, 2012 10:27AM

I have seen the rods in the photo in person and they are absolutely seamless, like this is not an extra added piece, such as a hosel, but rather the finish is built up on the EVA. I think the best explanation is that they put finish on thread wrapped EVA seperate from the rod and then glued it in place . They were just very careful to hide the glued seam where it meets the EVA of the foregrip. I just cain't get a crisp straight edge like that.
James

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2012 10:55AM

I believe that's a flocked grip, not an EVA grip.

Date: January 17, 2012 11:16AM

Tom - trust me it's black EVA, not a flocked grip. I've held it in my hands so I know. These rods are from a major manufacturer. See more of them @ :[www.blackbartlures.com]
James

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2012 11:19AM

In that case you can get a similar straight epoxy edge by simply spinning the grip in a lathe while the epoxy is setting and using a solvent soaked rag to true the edge. You may have to do this several times across an hour's window, but it will result in what you see in that photo.

Date: January 17, 2012 11:40AM

Does it make a difference if a Separate piece is made and then glued on
There would be a crisp line between the two

Instead of trying to duplicate what they did ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: January 17, 2012 02:53PM

Wonder if it would help to hang the rod tip down?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: January 17, 2012 03:34PM

After thinking about this most of the day I think I came up with several solutions to acheive a clean, crisp edge. Knowing that EVA foam is porous, thereby causing the epoxy finish to wick or seep under the masked off area by capillary action, one must seal up the EVA with something to prevent the epoxy finish from penetrating the EVA foam. I have tried several things today including clear Krylon Fusion spray, and a product called Plasti dip used for coating tools. It comes in black and I diped the end of a grip in it and have it hanging to dry overnight. I will put some epoxy finish on top of these expermential EVA grips tomorrow and report back on the results. I think the Plasti dip is going to do the trick.
James

James Carnes
Osprey Custom Fishing Rods
Charlotte, North Carolina
www.ospreycustomfishingrods.com
704-589-9601

Date: January 17, 2012 06:25PM

WHY ARE YOU DRIVING YOURSELF CRAZY

Should and will be a lot easier to make a separate piece off the rod ???
Slide on and glue in place ????

Can some one give me a reason why not

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: January 19, 2012 12:48PM

Hello All

If you CP the grips tip let dry, tape off and apply epoxy, remove the tape before the epoxy dries and
if any epoxy gets by the tape do as Tom said and take a cloth(not paper towel or filter)with a good amount of DNA and hold it against the rod to clean the line.

Sometimes I just build it up like a ramp, no CP or anything but the line can get a little wavy that way sometimes, and you have to stay with it till it gets thick enough that it does'nt soak into a ragged line.

Tom you might remember the gray Seeker GTS60XH I brought to the ICRBE last year, I did it free-hand
no CP or even tape it just takes time and patience.

Hope this helps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: January 19, 2012 12:56PM

Time is money And patienceI have none

Still can not see why

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 19, 2012 02:08PM

Bill - main reason for all this is that the guides are already on the rod and I needed to put a logo on the grip under rod finish. Not able to do it on a seperate piece and glue it on the rod this time. Its almost finished and I will post a photo when done.
Thanks - James

James Carnes
Osprey Custom Fishing Rods
Charlotte, North Carolina
www.ospreycustomfishingrods.com
704-589-9601

Date: January 19, 2012 04:14PM

I did not realize the guides were on

Don't think any one said this ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Molden (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: August 04, 2012 02:21PM

James did yor plan work? I'm fighting the same problem with the EVA/tape/epoxy. I built the ramp out of u40, thene coated (attempted) it with tinted epoxy (black). I can't clean up the epoxy on the EVA and get a clean line. Still tryin......over.

Posted by: Bill Molden (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: August 04, 2012 02:22PM

James did your plan work? I'm fighting the same problem with the EVA/tape/epoxy. I built the ramp out of u40, thene coated (attempted) it with tinted epoxy (black). I can't clean up the epoxy on the EVA and get a clean line. Still tryin......over.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster