I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Make Your Own Bushings for Turning Inserts?
Posted by: Ed Casteel (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 10:23PM

Anyone tried the new make your own reel seat bushings from Penn State Industries? I was thinking about using these to make bushings for my reel seats so I don't have to use calipers all the time.

Here's the address to the bushings. Going to order some forstner bits for inleting wood for grips and thinking about getting some of these. But trying to not waste my money if these have already been tried without success.

[www.pennstateind.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 11:41PM by Ed Casteel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Make Your Own Reel Seat Bushings?
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 11:32PM

I am a little confused by your post, how do you see these replacing reel seat bushings?

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 11:39PM

He's talking about bushings to make his own reel seat inserts. You can make busings from any piece of scrap wood or acrylic and not spend the extra cash on the delrin inserts that Pen State sells. Take a piece of wood or acrylic, drill a hole the diameter of your mandrel then turn down to fit the OD of your seat inserts.

Lance

Date: January 11, 2012 11:39PM

Not replacing reel seat bushings...using these as bushings to turn the reel seat insert to the correct diameter of the reel seat skelaton.

Re: Make Your Own Bushings for Turning Inserts?
Date: January 11, 2012 11:42PM

Good idea on the acrylic...have scrapes laying around that I have no use for that will work just fine. Thanks for what now seems and obvious answer, yet I couldn't figure it out :-(.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 11:47PM

Ed,
I had to look at the pictures to understand exactly what the product was.
In reality, it is a round piece of plastic with a hole in the center that will be fitted to the mandrel on which you would normally turn your arbors.
Then, use the lathe and a turning tool to reduce the end of the plastic to be the size that would match the size of the inside of the reel seat.
Of course, when turning these pieces for each end of the arbor, you would use your caliper to track the progress and to insure that you stop at the right time.

When done, simply use the bushings on each end of the arbors being constructed.

Go ahead and start to quickly turn the arbor down to the desired size. With the bushings on each end of the rough stock, it will allow you to cut very quickly, but yet not cut too far by insuring that you keep your turning tool off of the bushing and that you keep the arbor to a size a bit larger than the bushing.

But, finally, when you get close, it will still be to your advantage to use your caliper to insure that the full length of the arbor has been turned to the correct size.

Basically, you are paying 8-15 dollars for two pieces of round nylon that you turn down with your lathe to form a master template size.

They should actually work very well, if you do a lot of arbor making for your rods. I do know that when turning, it is nice to have a rough guide to allow me to use a coarse cutting tool to quickly reduce the work piece to near final size without having to use a caliper to get to that point.

So, in summary - Yes, I would think that these bushings should do the job for you very well, if you should choose to use them.

Of course, if you wanted to be creative, you could make the exact same things from the branch of a tree. Just pick up a branch that is an inch or so in diameter - center drill it and turn it to size.

Actually a pretty good idea and it appears to be a quality piece of turning.

Roger

Date: January 11, 2012 11:48PM

Ed,
Excellent choice of material to use the acrylic laying around to create your own bushings.

Take care
Roger

Date: January 11, 2012 11:56PM

Wish Pennstate would make metal bushings for common reel seats like they do for pens and many other items.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 10:20AM

What about weight ??

The plastic metal and even the acrylic would be heaver then the flex coat bushings

IMHO Plus they are so easy to shape
The acrylic would make very nice Bushings/inserts and look good with a little polishing

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 10:25AM by bill boettcher.

Date: January 12, 2012 10:43AM

Bill,
Don't misunderstand the post.
The post was about making bushings to be part of a lathe system to use to make arbors on your lathe.
These bushings, whether metal, acrylic, or something else would not go onto the rod.

Rather, these bushings are simply guide tools to be used when making arbors for a reel seat.

The actual arbors could be made from anything. They could be made of poly, graphite, cork, or some other lightweight material.

These bushings that are the subject of the post are simply an aid to quickly shape the actual arbors on a lathe of a material that is chosen by the rod builder.

Take care
Roger

Date: January 12, 2012 10:40PM

Wow,

Yeh...that's what I meant. Well said and clear.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster