I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

center pin for new river
Posted by: Dean Bledsoe (---.skybest.com)
Date: January 11, 2012 10:18PM

I have never fished a center pin, no less built a center pin rod. If anyone has any advice it would be appreciated. I will be floating down the New River from Indepence Va. to NC state line. I will be targeting mostly smallies, however there are reports of a few musky in the area. I plan on using helgramite patterns, woolly buggers, lizard patterns, night crawlers, and crawfish patterns. I was wondering what length blank would be best for floating down a small river? Guide, handle, reel suggestions? Thanks for your help. I will be attending ICRBE this year and would like to pick up enough stuff get started on this and a couple other projects.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: center pin for new river
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2012 07:39AM

I'm sure you'll get some suggestions from centre-pin rod builders, but in the meantime, the newest issue of RodMaker has a complete in-depth article on building centre-pin rods.

Re: center pin for new river
Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 07:51AM

Dean, I am not familiar with that river or the size of it but I am an avid Float fishermen, mostly steelhead trout. For a medium size river I use anywhere from an 11'6'' float rod up to a 13' 6'' rod. The rod length serves two purposes. One it enables you to keep tthe line off of the water giving you direct contact from the rod tip to the tip of the float, if you are doing longer drifts.. It also serves to protect light leaders when the fish make a run. For smaller home rivers, I actually build a float rod on a 3 or 4 weight fly blank. 10' does the trick. As far as the centerpin reel, if you are new to fishing a centerpin reel, I wouldn't spend big money untill you decide it is for you. You can pick up used ones for $200-$300 on some fishing sites. Some entry level companys are Okuma and Raven. Higher quality reels can cost upwards $600. I have built many float rods and the only real seat I use is by Batson enterprises RA8L2. It is basically a fly reel seat. I would recommend you buy a used set up if money is an issue. Just do a web search on float fishing sites. I don't want to breach the ettiquette of this site and advertise other sites On a side note with guides. If you are fishing all winter, most of us go with larger guides on our float rods to delay the freezing up of the guides. Size 7 or 8 and many use the guide as the tip instead of the tip top guides. I can type about this forevel LOL. Hope this helps, Frank

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster