I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How tight should cork handle be on blank before gluing?
Posted by: Robert Kieffer (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 11:29AM

I'm new here, and I am building my first homemade fly rod, am using "Handcrafting a Graphite Fly Rod" by L.A. Garcia as my reference.

In the Chapter on the Handle, he says, regarding gluing the handle:

"Ream out the borehole with a rattail file so that the handle slides freely to a point about 8 inches from where it will rest." He then describes applying glue to the blank and forcing the handle down to the reel seat.

However, all the guidance I have found on the internet suggest reaming until the handle makes contact with the reel seat, with snug fit to the blank:

[flyanglersonline.com]

"Next, carefully file the inside of the handle, using progressively larger rat tail files until the handle slides snugly down to the reel seat."
This guy: [www.youtube.com] seems to have it slide freely to four or so inches from the reel seat.

I'm afraid of splitting the handle by doing what Garcia recommends. How do you do it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How tight should cork handle be on blank before gluing?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2012 11:30AM

You're almost certain to split it if you don't ream it to within about 1 inch of where it is intended to reside. Cork won't stretch.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 11:46AM

It should be fairly snug where it is going to sit. Like Tom said, mine usually slides easily to within about an inch of its final spot. If you slightly over ream it, don't worry; you can take up the space with some thread wraps

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 12:54PM

Also be careful with a file Make sure the hole is Centered

if you plan to build more rods Get or Build your own reamers with tape and scrap sections of blanks of different sizes makes life easier and reaming

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns4.bat.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 08, 2012 04:06PM

I think the Mudole video clips are the best for learning these skills. Search "Mudhole rod building" on Youtube. There is a clip specifically for reaming a cork grip and gluing on to the blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 04:20PM

Remember, you need to have a layer of glue between the blank and the grip.
I ream the grip until it slides easily to its final position. If it easily slides to its final position, the glue will stay in place to secure the grip very well.

I never ream the grip so that it is hard to fit to its final position. I ream the grip so that if you stand the blank on end, it slides into its final position.

Take care
REW

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 04:37PM

I've always did like George says, where it is snug , but if it is kind of to loose i use that dry wall mesh tape, it works really good to fill in the looseness. tight lines!

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 07:05PM

You definitely need to ream the cork with a round reamer, I generally ream until it's about 1-1/2" to 2" from it's resting point. You really do not want to force it into place, the cork will split. You want a snug fit for the cork to the blank, you do not want it too tight so squeeze the epoxy out to the point there isn't any/enough to adhere the cork to the blank.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 07:33PM

I will suggest

mark where the handle will go Then give the area a 220 git sandpaper sand makes a better bond
Whip off the dust
CAREFULLY ream the handle so it fits - snug - The glue will make it slid easier
Add the glue if you are satisfied
Slide it down and turn it as it goes on Turn more so as to make sure the glue is all the way inside the handle make sure it is aliened as you want
Let dry

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster