I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best method to remove old reel seat
Posted by: Lam Nguyen (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 05:31PM

I am in the process of stripping a couple of old factory rods that I have and rebuilding them. In the past I have used a metal saw to saw off the reel seat. However, I find that it sometimes cuts into the blank. I plan to extend these factory rods so need to make sure that the blank remains perfect. What is the best method to remove these old reel seats w/o damaging the blank? Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best method to remove old reel seat
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns13.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 01, 2012 05:50PM

Hi Lam,
Try putting it in a bucket of very hot water for several minutes and then twisting it with a pair of multi-grips. You might have to do it a number of times before it comes loose.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2012 05:56PM

I just put a lovely burl reel seat on a bamboo blank. Beautiful except I forgot it was bamboo, hexagonal instead of round and I had not aligned it on one of the six flat surfaces WHERE THE GUIDES NEED TO GO! I took the bottom cap off, got a heat gun with a nozzle that fit into the rear opening and blasted it with hot air. I had padded channel lock pliers holding the reel seat so I could twist it off without burning my hand. The Rod Bond softened and the seat twisted off but the burl spacer broke in the middle. A little contact cement, a little sanding on the lathe and a coat of Lumi-Seal and it's good as knew-re-installed now the correct way.

Many other ways to remove-I'm sure others will chip in, but I was trying to save this seat since it was brand new. As with any other aspect of Rodbuilding-make a mistake, correct it, learn lesson and never make the same mistake. There are plenty other mistakes to be made.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.metropcs.net.141.174.in-addr.arpa)
Date: January 01, 2012 07:01PM

I always try the heat and twist method first as described. If that doesn't work use a cut off wheel on a dremel tool and carefully cut the reel seat then pry it off the blank with a screwdriver being careful not to pry against the blank. Wouldn't do this with a flush fitting reel seat.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 07:48PM

I know that more than one person has suggested heating the reel seat and then twisting it free. I don't agree with this, as twisting the reel seat could cause the blank to splinter - especially if the blank is also very hot. Try to pull the reel seat off as straight as possible.

Jeff

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 08:41PM

X2 - jeff.

Take a band saw and saw the reel seat off.
Or use a dremel tool with an abrasive wheel to cut through the reel seat on each side of the blank. Put a screwdriver in the new slot, twist and the reel seat will pop off.

Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 11:37PM

Don't know what style of seat you are talking about, but I have had 100% success putting the reel seat in a ziplock bag and the submersing it in boiling water for 10 minutes and the pulling the seat off. Sometimes have to repeat the process, but has always worked. Be careful with twisting to avoid harming the blank.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: January 02, 2012 03:26AM

Dremel tool works best for me. I once tried a hacksaw and had to buy a new blank. Since then I have used a Dremel-type tool several times with success and not even a scratch on the blank.
Michal

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 02, 2012 04:51AM

I use the dremel tool (With a Diamond cutting Wheel) approach! after using most of the above mentioned procedures here. I found it less time consuming and cost-effective since I do not have room for a band saw and the Dremel seems to cover a wide variety of makeshift tooling for the job at hand ! Have fun and make sure to wear EYE Protection when you cut things with that Wheel. I have seen to many folks lose there eye ...really I have! Good day Builders !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 02, 2012 12:06PM

I always use the dremel then pop it apart with a flat screw driver even on full contact seats. You don't have to split it 100% to get it to split open with a screw driver. I haven't figured out how to split one with band saw.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Ross McKay (---.40.141.144.threembb.co.uk)
Date: January 02, 2012 05:42PM

Rick Heil Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use the dremel tool (With a Diamond cutting
> Wheel) approach! after using most of the above
> mentioned procedures here. I found it less time
> consuming and cost-effective since I do not have
> room for a band saw and the Dremel seems to cover
> a wide variety of makeshift tooling for the job at
> hand ! Have fun and make sure to wear EYE
> Protection when you cut things with that Wheel. I
> have seen to many folks lose there eye ...really I
> have! Good day Builders !

Couldn't agree more with the above post,
I have only had a dremel a short time but it has made quick work of some reel seats, HOWEVER it does seem like a small toy that wouldn't hurt and on several occasions I have found myself looking directly over it making sure Im staying away from the blank and THEN realised it's time to get the safety glasses on, Im still learning but hopefully now not the hard way, be careful !!

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.68.---)
Date: January 04, 2012 07:34PM

Thank you guys. Will try the dremel. If that doesn't work then into a pot of hot water it goes. Thanks again!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 11:35AM

carefully make a cut on one side Two if you want Insert a screw driver and twist Like said It will loosen and come off

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2012 07:05PM

One thing on the Dremel. It does work great, but you're using very high rpm's and the wheel can grab and jerk down on you if you don't maintain tight control of the tool. Above all, take your time and let the Dremel do the work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster